Discreet

Unlocked Doors

 

“Oh Hayoung thank you so much for coming,” said Yookyung’s mother placing a domineering and well-manicured hand over her shoulder. Her makeup was flawless, her shoes were red. Hayoung realized she had done something new to her nose.

“Yes Mrs. Hong,” said Hayoung bowing. She was holding her purse tightly not knowing exactly what to do. For weeks she had no contact with Yookyung, ever since the incident. She didn’t call her back and even her family ignored Hayoung . But they have called her today. “Where is Yookyung? May I see her?”

“Oh yes, yes indeed,” said Mrs. Hong placing her hand over her chest. “She is in there.” Mrs. Hong pointed at a hospital room. “Our darling Yookyung…” the woman sighed. “She is not well. The doctors say she is just hysteric ever since the traumatic event. They say there is nothing wrong with her body… She… she told us she wanted to see you. Her father thinks that maybe you could convince her to get out of that wretched room or at least make her eat something.” She started to fan herself with her hand. She gave a good look at Hayoung, narrowing her eyes. “You-you were good friends right?” she asked. How oblivious could parents be some times?

“We are,” said Hayoung as delicately as she could. Why was she already talking like that? You were? Yookyung wasn’t dead.

“Okay, okay,” said Mrs. Hong with relief. “I’ll leave you with her. His father and I have to go to a very important cocktail this evening. I have to get prepared… But you’ll be all right.  If there is a problem you may call the nurse. They are always on watch, just in case.”

Hayoung nodded and bowed again.

“Oh and Hayoung?”

“Yes Mrs. Hong?”

“You will be discreet about Yookyung’s state... right?”

“Discreet ma’am?”

“Yes we don’t want everyone knowing about this… It would be a scandal,” she said with a little sorry smile. “Besides is better if people don’t hover. Yookyung has to rest.”

“Yes Mrs. Hong,” said Hayoung. It was the only words she could make out.

Mrs. Hong stood there for a second, fumbling with the collar of her expensive blouse. “Okay,” she said and left. Hayoung waited until the clicking noises of her heels were gone.

Hayoung stared at the closed hospital room. The place was depressing and Hayoung has wondered in what state she would find her best friend. She exhaled, trying to release all the tension. It was just her best friend. It was a friendly visit.

Hayoung conjured out of her head the bloody last image of Yookyung and placed her hand on the doorknob. She turned it open.