You can come in…

Unlocked Doors

 

“I told you not to leave your door unlocked,” said the girl, standing by the threshold.

Sulli tried to rub the sleep from her eyes. She should be startled or scared but none of those feelings came. It was like the girl’s presence, even when it was abrupt, was soothing and calming.

“My doors are always unlocked,” said Sulli. “It means I can run off if I want too.”

The girl chuckled and that’s when Sulli’s eyes finally adjusted to the darkness. Boldly she stood from her bed and headed to her desk. Sulli pulled the cord of the lamp and turned it on. She could see the girl clearly. And her heart stopped beating for the shortest second.

The lights and shadows caught her features just right. She was a girl with a chic charm about her but it seemed effortless. Her expression was cold but with the innocence of a child. Her eyes were cat-like as it regarded her. She had a strong straight nose that seemed to have been carved from stone or marble. Her lips weren’t too full but just right and her feline stare was seductive.

Sulli liked to draw and she had never felt her fingers itch so much to reach the chewed pencil on her desk and some paper to capture the beauty of the girl. Her senses were wild but she didn’t move because she knew no artist in the world would catch her image as it was. Maybe that beauty would never be immortalized.

It was just a glance and Sulli’s knees felt weak. They stood there in darkness. The stunned silence seemed to amuse the ghost girl. Right now, seeing her completely, Sulli understood why Yookyung said she wasn’t a ghost. She didn’t appear to be one. She seemed tangible, reachable. You just had to stretch your arm to touch her. Sulli hasn’t seen any ghost before to compare it but she was sure they would be different. Still there was something supernatural about her, something forbidden and ethereal. This was her biggest charm for there is something about the forbidden that makes even the most terrible things desirable.  

Even the smile was heard on the girl’s voice. “Where would you run if I stand here?” The girl regarded Sulli and waited for an answer that never came. “That’s dangerous Sulli.”

Her name on her lips was something that sent shiver all over her body. “Why? Because of you?”

The girl’s jaw was clenched. “Probably…” She turned and walked away. Sulli ran to the threshold but not actually stepping out of the room.

“I-I don’t mind you coming,” blurted Sulli. She wasn’t even thinking. She just needed to say it.

“You shouldn’t say that,” she stopped walking.

“If you come back you can come in…”

 “I’ll keep that in mind,” she resumed her strides.

“What’s your name?”

This time the girl turned completely, but not stopping her steps as she walked backwards, away from Sulli. “Krystal, my name is Krystal,” she said.