Broken Strings

Take A Chance On Me

 

Continued from Chapter 34.

 


 

 

 

Junho’s POV

 

Safe. I was meant to keep her safe. I was meant to protect her from any danger. It was such a simple task, and I still failed, miserably in fact. If only…we had stuck by each other, then we would not be in this situation.

 

This situation…where I am sitting here, with my hands on my head, eyes swollen and my whole body so numb that I cannot even move. Where was So Eun? She was…just…lying there unconscious, right in front of my eyes.

 

How did this happen?

 

 

Flashback

 

“Ahjumma, did you know which direction So Eun took? She was meant to meet me back at our tent an hour ago…” I asked, the owner of the store, the place where I had last seen So Eun.

 

“Oh, no! How did that happen? She assured me that she knew the way back from my place…” said Ahjumma.

 

“I-I don’t know where she is…I am so worried that something might have happened to her…” I said, as my eyes began to water.

 

“Don’t worry, we will find her. I will help you, come on kid. Everything is going to be alright.” said Ahjumma, who patted me on the back.

 

“Thank you, Ahjumma. We will definitely find her. No matter what happens…I am not leaving this place without her.”

 

I walked with Ahjumma on the track that we believed So Eun would have taken.

 

We have been walking for ten minutes, before deciding to walk in the opposite direction. I began to shake in fear. Fear, that I couldn’t…

 

Another fifteen minutes went past, before I heard a scream.

 

It was Ahjumma’s voice from behind me.

 

“AHHH, JUNHO-SSI! I---OH GOODNESS!” I sprinted as fast as I could to where Ahjumma was screaming. Did she possibly…find her? I took a deep breath in relief.

 

But, as I saw Ahjumma who was holding a person in her arms, with a running flow of blood forming a large patch on the ground…

 

I took another deep breath, and this time it was not for relief.

 

It was for terror.

 

“Junho-ssi! Please help! She is losing a lot of blood! WHY ARE YOU JUST STANDING THERE?” Ahjumma cried.

 

She…the person that Ahjumma was holding onto, the person that had blood pouring her bloody leg and arm…The person was…

 

Kim So Eun.

 

I quickly came to my senses and rushed over by Ahjumma’s side.

 

“Ahjumma…. it is not her blood right? It isn’t her, I am seeing things. It is really dark here. Tell me, please?”

 

“Junho-yah, I’m sorry. It is your girlfriend, So Eun-ssi. We need to get her to the hospital fast! Please, I know it is hard to take in, but please help me carry her.”

 

This was happening. My So Eun…was unconscious and her blood was everywhere. What have I done?

 

“Junho-ssi, HURRY!”

 

I then grabbed a hold of So Eun from Ahjumma’s arm, and we ran to Ahjumma’s car. We needed to take So Eun to the hospital. Quickly. Very quickly.

 

I kissed the top of So Eun’s forehead, before continuing to run.

 

“So Eun-ah, you will be okay. I promise.”

 

 

“Mr.Lee?” Someone was talking, it was not myself and it was definitely not So Eun. Why would I bother to listen?

 

“Mr.Lee?” The person tapped on my shoulder once again.

 

“Mianhaeyo, Doctor…?” I apologised weakly.

 

“Doctor Nam.”

 

“The results from the scans have been released.” The scans. They will show that there’s nothing-wrong right?

 

“How is her condition?” I asked frantically, scared for his answer.

 

“I am sorry to say, but it is not looking good for Miss. Kim…” He said, what I was dreading that he would say.

 

“Not good?”

 

“Not good at all. She has suffered some major injuries to her leg and arm from her fall. Her fall, I am predicting, was caused by an animal attack, which will explain the broken bones and ligaments. I am sorry to say this, Mr. Lee.” Does that mean she will not be able to walk anymore? This was entirely my fault. If I did not leave her on her own, then she wouldn’t be like this.

 

“Does she require surgery?” I stuttered. I cannot believe that this was happening. I hope that it was all a dream, but it clearly isn’t.

 

“Yes, but not without her and her parent’s consent to do so.” Her consent? Her parent’s consent? How could I even let them know about this?

 

“Ah yeah…I will contact them now.” I said, as I slowly grabbed my phone out of my pocket.

 

“We have already contacted them, and they are on their way. Don’t stress too much, Mr. Lee,” They already know?!

 

“The good news is, that after the surgery, she will have to do intense rehabilitation and wear leg and arm casts until the damaged bones and ligaments join back together.” That is what you call good news? So Eun, you wouldn’t have suffered like this if it weren’t for me. I am so sorry. Deeply sorry.

 

“And how will that take? How long would she be able to recover back to normal?” I asked.

 

“At least seven months. However, after she has recovered, she still requires physiotherapy to strengthen those parts she had injured.” So, that means, she will never return back to her healthy physical self.

 

“Thank you, Doctor Nam for your hard work.” I acknowledged, before he left the room.

 

“Kim So Eun, I am so sorry. I should have stuck beside you, instead of separating. I should have known better. If I had been more cautious, then you would not have been in this situation. We could have spent the night together, happily and injury-free. Please wake up, So Eun-ah. I beg you.”

 

My eyes closed, and I fell asleep on the edge of the bed, whilst still holding her hands tightly.

 

I will never let them go again. Ever.

 

 

So Eun’s POV

 

My head is hurting, my chest is pounding but why can’t I feel my right leg and arm? Why are my eyes so tightly shut, that I can’t even open them? Why am I like this?

 

All that I can feel is someone holding my left hand. I can feel warmth from the tight hold. This warmth feels very familiar. It was…

 

Junho’s warmth.

 

I have no idea as to where I am and why I could not feel my body. But all I know is that Junho is holding my hand so I felt safe. Even if, I cannot open my eyes.

 

I hear two voices enter the room.

 

“Oh my goodness, So Eun-ah! What happened?” said a woman’s voice. She sounds very familiar.

 

“My So Eunnie! Junho-yah, what on earth happened to my daughter?” said a man’s voice.

 

It finally came to me. The voices belonged to my parents.

 

Appa, Umma…you’re here.

 

“Mrs. Kim, Mr. Kim…you have arrived. So Eunnie…she—“

 

“Junho-ah, talk properly. It’s okay. Tell us what exactly happened.” Umma…

 

“We were up in the mountains and we were out to gather food and appliances for dinner…So Eun insisted that we separated and meet up at a certain time. But…as I returned, she was not there…After waiting for a while, and she was nowhere to be seen, I left to search for her. I met up with the Ahjumma from the store and we went off together. Then not long afterwards we—we saw her…saw her…blood…” He sobbed. So it that what happened? I am so stupid

 

“Lee Junho! Did you not promise me that you would never let my So Eun get hurt? What happened to that promise? TELL ME!” Appa, don’t be angry, it was not his fault.

 

“Yeobo! Don’t be like this it wasn’t his fault! It was an accident! Watch your temper!” Yelling. They were all yelling.

 

“Anger? Our daughter is lying there unconscious with a almost broken leg and arm! How can you expect me to be calm?”

 

No. I have to open my eyes. I have to protect Junho from being hurt. He is not the one to blame. I am.

 

I tried to move my eyelids a few times. I can feel them beginning to open, slowly but very painfully. I winced in pain, before my eyes were open.

 

“J-J-junho…J-junho. Junho.” I can see him, holding my hand tightly, but with tears falling from his eyes. He finally turned to face me.

 

“So Eun? So Eunnie? Are you awake?” He asked.

 

“Yes…”

 

“You really are awake! Are you feeling okay? Are you hurting anywhere?”

 

I held his hand as tightly as I could.

 

 

“Omo, my So Eunnie! Baby girl, how are you feeling?” I can see Umma now.

 

“Thank god, that you are awake. I was worried to death!” Appa too.

 

“I-I can’t feel my right leg and arm…”

 

“So Eun-ah…I am so sorry. You had a heavy fall…and you have majorly fractured your left leg and arm…I am so sorry, So Eun…” Junho said, while staring into my eyes with tears still falling from his face. I leaned closer towards him and wiped his tears with my trembling fingers.

 

“It’s not your fault, Junho…I was just careless. I will still be able to walk right?” I won’t be disabled forever right?

 

“Yes, of course you would, dear.” Umma said.

 

“But how long will it take for me to recover? I still have to audition for the drama that Professor offered to me…” The audition. It wasn’t long to go until the set date…but with my condition, would I be able to make it? They are not going to film with an injured actress.

 

“It will take at least,”

 

“Seven months.”

 

I could not even respond.

 

Seven months. Seven long months of recovery.

 

There is nothing that I can do now.

 

Nothing except for dreaming of what I could have achieved.

 

Could have.