One Step Closer

Take A Chance On Me

 

Morning after

So Eun’s POV

*Alarm bell rings*

Aish, it is the morning already. Yawn. I should really get a quieter alarm ringtone. That sound does not fail to ring loudly in your ears. Today I need to head to Uni to meet with Professor Jang. So, I better get ready quickly!

I walk towards my dressing table to comb the knots out of my tousled ‘morning’ hair, but I notice something different.

There is a note placed on my perfume bottle. It is a note from my Junho. Silly boy, he is so innocent like a child sometimes.

 

So Eunnie,

Let's go on a trip together to visit my hometown in Ilsan, so we can take many photos to replace some of those ones you hung up with Kim Bum-ssi.

<3 Always, 

Junho.

 
Junho…wants to take me to meet his family?! In Ilsan? I cannot believe this. I am shaking at the thought of it already!

A holiday with Junho, is something I have only imagined in my dreams and I did not think such opportunity would come so quickly. However, I have not thought that far to meeting his family, in his hometown.

Is he serious? Or just being playful again? I’m not sure.

I am ridiculously happy because of his sudden note, but I must ask myself;

Am I ready to meet his family right now?

Junho’s POV

It is 10am now, and So Eun has not responded to my note that I left for her last night…She must be still asleep, since she had such a hectic day yesterday. So Eun would not be avoiding me? Was the note too burdening? I hope it wasn’t. I guess I just have to wait patiently for her response. The members and I have just completed our early recording session for 'Thank You'. So we are at the gym for our daily exercise and we are training hard to get ourselves in the best possible shape for our upcoming concerts. I’m starting on the bench press this morning, just to work on my sore shoulders. Exercise will lower the nerves in my body and heart as I wait for her answer.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

It must be So Eun! It has to be! Aish, I cannot stop my sequence of presses or else the trainer hyung will punish me and double the amount! But I just want to take a peek…

A hand out of nowhere appears and snatches my phone from the seat next to me. Great, now one of the boys took it and I am set for further embarrassment. This day cannot get any better.

“OH MY GOD JUNHO! ALREADY?!” It was Chansung this time. He is going to get it.

“YAH! WHY ARE YOU CHECKING MY PHONE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION?! And already what?” I yelled, while still frantically bench pressing.

“So Eun nuna…you are going to take her to Ilsan to…meet your family? You have serious guts Junho-yah!” So Eun must have replied and AGREED! I knew she would want to go on a vacation with me!

“YAH CHINCHA? Aigoo Lee Junho! You are the man! It’s a done deal already?” Aish, now that Minjun hyung knows, all the members are going to gather and tease me again. Let’s just pretend not to hear them and keep on exercising!

“Yah hyung, what done deal? What did she say in the message, Chansung-ah?”

“So Eun nuna simply said: ‘I will go with you to meet your family Junho’. Our Junho is so lucky to have a girlfriend like nuna who is willing to meet your family so quickly.” said Chansung. It really is true, she agreed! I am so grateful that she wants to see my halmoni and nuna. It really means a lot to me, but her message was not as exciting as I thought it would be. It is rather…blunt, I guess? Does she feel burdened? Maybe it is too soon…but she agreed right? So that is all that matters.

I finish my last press, and I quickly grab my phone before the members snatch it and say something stupid to So Eun. A disaster prevented, as now none of them can embarrass me again to So Eun.

I press ‘Reply’ and start to message So Eun.

To: My So Eunnie <3

Dearest So Eun,

I am so glad that you agree to go with me back to Ilsan. Unfortunately I have only a four-day break, so we can’t stay for longer. Hopefully next time we can have a longer stay. We will be leaving in four days, so Thursday morning. I will come and pick you up from your house! Is it alright for you to stay with me at my house with my halmoni and nuna? If you find it uncomfortable, we can just stay in a resort. It’s your choice, darling. I cannot wait So Eun-ah, we are going to have an amazing, fun vacation!

<3 Always,

Junho.

 

Send’. Done. I am disappointed that my schedule only allows me to have four days off this month, but I would not have spent this break anywhere else. I offer to So Eun if she wants to stay separate from my house, if she feels burdened or anything from my family. It is out of courtesy, just in case she feels like living in my family home is uncomfortable. Now for her reply.

“Junho, are you sure that your family would allow you to bring So Eun to stay with them?” asked Minjun hyung seriously. Hyung has a point, but I am sure halmoni and nuna would agree to it, because they have always wanted to meet my future girlfriend. It was the first time that I took my girlfriend to meet them, except for Ye Eunnie, but she is like family to me and them anyway, as we grew up together. The nerves are returning.

“Neh, I am sure they would not mind. They have been nagging me since forever to bring a girl home.”

“Well, if it’s like that, then my mind is at ease. I know So Eun is a great girl and all, but I just want to make sure you notify your halmoni first.” said Minjun hyung. Minjunie hyung really cared for me, he always has. He really is our oldest hyung-nim. I love him.

“Arasso hyung, I will give her a call tonight.”

 

Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

Ooh, looks like your darling has replied!” said Minjun hyung.

“Ppali! Read nuna’s message! I want to know what she said!” said Chansung. He was overly excited…

Open message’

To: Junho

I’d love to stay at your family home. I am honoured that you invited me to stay with your halmoni and nuna. I will treat them well and shower them with love! Be it a week, one day, two days or four days, just being together with you on a vacation regardless is enough for me. I will see you on Thursday Junho-ah.

P.S. Mianhae if I sound a bit ungrateful because a truly am! I just woke up and I am rushing to Dongguk for an appointment with my Professor. Forgive me!

<3 Always,

Your So Eunnie.

 

Oh my dearest So Eunnie, I am so grateful just to have you by my side. You are one of a kind. I knew you probably just woke up and since you are rushing to get to Uni, I forgive you for your bluntness. I forgot that my girlfriend is not really that awake and happy from the moment she opens her eyes in the morning. The main thing is that So Eun is coming to Ilsan with me to visit my beloved family.

I feel like I am over the moon right now.

At night after the day’s schedules

Junho and the members have finished their schedules for the day and are finally back at home. They had already eaten bento boxes supplied by their fans for dinner after their last ‘Inkigayo’ recording, so the members are getting reading for sleep.

Junho walks out of the bathroom, after a nice, hot shower to cleanse his body’s sweat and relax his tiring mind; only to be stopped by Minjun.

“Junho-yah, have you called your halmoni about So Eun going back with you yet?” asked Minjun.

“Oh that’s right, I thought I had something to do. I forgot about that.” replied Junho.

“Well you better give her a call now before it is too late at night and she is asleep.” said Minjun.

“Arasso hyung, I will call her right now.” said a bothered Junho. He was exhausted from the day’s work and he did not want anyone nagging him like this, even though he knows his hyung is just caring for him.

“Okay good, hope it goes well. Sleep well after your call Junho-yah, we have a recording in the studio tomorrow morning. Goodnight Nuneo!” said Minjun.

“Neh hyung. I will get more sleep so tomorrow my vocal condition will be good! Goodnight to you to Minjunie hyung!” said Junho, as he headed back into his room.

As soon as he enters his room, he reaches for his phone and searches for his halmoni’s number to call her on Minjun’s several orders.

“Halmoni? Annyeong, mianhae for being so late…Are you sleeping yet?” asked Junho softly.

“Junho-yah, halmoni is already asleep, what’s up?” said a woman’s voice.

“Oh Si Young nuna, annyeong! Our halmoni is asleep is she?” asked Junho.

“Neh, she just fell asleep. Anything important?” asked Si Young.

“Ah yeah, you know that I am coming back home this week…”

“Neh, and…?”

“I will be bringing the girl I told you about before too.” breathed Junho.

“Oh chincha? Ye Eunnie is coming up too?” asked a tired Si Young, who let out a yawn.

“Aniyo, not Ye Eunnie. That girl…Kim So Eun, my girlfriend…?” said Junho.

“Ah yeah, So Eun-ssi, that’s right. Mianhae Junho-yah, nuna is having an all-nighter tonight so I am struggling to stay awake.” replied Si Young.

“Work again nuna? I’m worried about you…you always overwork yourself to your limits. Please look after your health first before anything.” said a concerned Junho.

“Neh, I will. So are you asking me for permission to bring your girlfriend home?” asked Si Young.

“Ah yeah nuna. Also, will you allow her to stay in our home too? I want to let you and halmoni to get to know So Eun more…” said a nervous Junho. This was the first time that he had felt so nervous when talking to his nuna, who he usually speaks very comfortably to.

“No worries, you two can definitely stay here. I would love to grow close to So Eun-ssi, since she is my precious dongsaeng’s woman. But I have to approve of her first!” said Si Young playfully.

“Arasso, of course nuna. Well, thank you for allowing me to bring So Eun with me. With halmoni, can you please notify her too? My Minjun hyung had been nagging me all day to get her permission to.” thanked a sincere Junho.

“Okay, I will let halmoni know in the morning. See you soon Junho-ah! I miss you my little cute brother! Goodnight!” said Si Young.

“Aigoo how old am I now? I am not cute anymore…” defended Junho.

"Yah, you will always be my adorable, aeygo-filled little brother; whether you like it or not Junho. Now go to sleep! Bye!” said Si Young, who then ended the call.

Junho’s POV

This vacation will be the first time since last Christmas that I have gone back to Ilsan. I have missed my halmoni and Si Young nuna so much and I cannot wait to see them. But most of all, this time I will be bringing So Eun along with me to meet my family and to show her my childhood roots and the best scenery in Korea.

It will be a vacation that I will never forget.

...