For The First Time

Take A Chance On Me

 

It was late in the afternoon. The burning Ilsan sun was beginning to set. The clear sky was forming into a deep shade of indigo. Each day had ended like this in Ilsan. With a crisp, relaxing sea breeze, the atmosphere was perfect for a nice stroll along the soft sand of Ilsan’s best beaches.

So Eun’s POV

 

I can feel the summery sea breeze blowing on my eyelids and hair. I shiver at the breeze’s touch on my skin. It is getting cooler. I think the sun is beginning to set.

 

I open my eyes, and I see Junho, who is still very much in his deep sleep. The sea breeze coming from outside the window and entering the room was also blowing the strands of Junho’s hair onto his face. His hair was definitely ‘bed hair’ at this moment. He looked scruffy and innocent, just like a child. I cannot help myself to gently the strands of his hair away from his face.

 

I have not had this chance to see Junho up so close like this, for so long. Then again, this was the first time I had slept, for real, in his arms like this. I observe my sleeping man even closely.

 

Thinking back to what had almost happened between Junho and I just a few hours ago… We were going well and smoothly. We matched well, in every sense. But I just…started to hesitate.

 

Everything was moving at such a rapid pace. It was all happening so fast, that I started to think… Were we ready for this? Was I, myself, ready for this?

 

I thought I was. Though, I was not uncomfortable at all. Why would I be? Junho…his figure, himself, is perfect from head to toe. It was just the inner doubt I had in my mind. Junho…has never confessed that he loved me. True fact.

 

Our feelings for each other, our chemistry, and our very well matched coordination…everything was there to show our love. I should not be caring so much about those three words…Yes; I may feel like a delusional pabo. And yes, I can tell myself hundreds of times that they did not matter, and how actions are more significant; but the principle will not disappear. I am still waiting for him, to say them to me. So, until then, I do not think I can, you know, make love properly with him, when I am still left with no assurance.

 

Junho, do you really love me? I whisper into his ear, and I give him a brief kiss on his lips.

 

Junho’s eyes start to open, as he flinched ever so subtly, after my sudden kiss. I accidently had woken him up. I’m sorry dear; I wanted to let you sleep longer… so that I can admire your sleeping look for longer. Here I am being a not so unintentionally erted girlfriend.

 

“So Eun-ah…” said Junho softly, before letting out a yawn.

 

“Annyeong, sleepy head. Sorry that I woke you up so suddenly…” I replied, as I stare into Junho’s drowsy eyes with my best aegyo.

 

“Aniya, it’s all good. Hmm, what time is it? It is getting darker outside…” said Junho huskily. So this is how Junho sounds like when he just wakes up. Charming.

 

I check the time on my watch.

 

“It is 5:30. Wow, we slept for almost three hours!”

 

“Time always flies quickly…especially when I am with you, my princess.” said Junho greasily. Aish, what should I do with this boy.

 

“YAH!” I yelled.

 

I punch him hard in his rock-hard stomach. My pain in my fist was definitely more than his in is stomach…which I momentarily forgot about how toned it was. Bad mistake.

 

“Yah, why do you hit me so hard now? You weren’t like this earlier…” teased Junho. This boy and his recurring hormones…

 

“If you say anything cheesy like that again, I will hurt you even more than that.” I warned.

 

“Arasso, I understand, Miss Kim!” said Junho quickly. I smile in glory.

 

“Junho, look outside! Isn’t the sky so beautiful?”

 

“It sure is! My hometown has the best view at sunset…Do you want to go out and watch it together?” He knows me well.

 

“You always know what I am thinking.”

 

Junho gave me his signature, charming smile, as he pulled me out of his bed and dragged me out of his room. He reached for my hand, and intertwined his fingers with mine as we walk towards the door.

 

“Halmoni, Si Young nuna! I am taking So Eun to see the sunset at the beach!” screamed Junho, as we put on our thongs at the door.

 

“Have fun kids! Come back later for dinner!” said Halmoni, as she waved at us.

 

“Let’s go, So Eunnie. I am going to show you my kingdom that I have owned since I became the emperor, the Crown Prince of Ilsan at the age of 1. Are you ready, Crown Princess?” Crown Princess? My prince is such a choding, but I wouldn’t want him to act in any other way.

 

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

 

 

Watching the sunset at the beach

 

Junho’s POV

 

One of the reasons why I loved my kingdom, my hometown was because of the divine view that each day’s sunset brings to my eyes. Watching the sunset always made me feel relaxed and happy, as all my stresses and worries will disappear with the blue skies as the sky changes into a dreamy indigo. Whenever the sky was like this, it always makes my mind start to dream and wonder in every way possible. This is why I loved coming home from Seoul.

 

To top off my most favourite view in Ilsan, watching it with So Eun beside me makes the experience even more special. When I used to watch the sunset with Ye Eunnie during childhood, we used to love it so much, and always would have fooled around with each other like fighting to eat the ‘golden yolk’ or something. Those feelings were still present from within me, but the feeling I am having right now with So Eun in my arms, as we are laying closely together on the soothing sand…is completely different.

 

The warm, heartfelt comfort that my heart feels whenever I am embracing So Eun like this, gives me a reminder of how important she is to me. But, I feel like that I don’t express that importance to her enough. That is probably why she did not wish to go further earlier. I understand her. Women need to feel safe and treasured first and foremost. I have not done that, at least to my fullest ability. This is one of the reasons why I brought her on vacation, not just for fun and games but also to show her my love.

 

“Junho, what are you thinking about? You are spacing out in your own thoughts again,” said So Eun, as she lifted her face upwards, giving a dazed yet curious look.

 

“I’m just…enjoying the sunset that I have missed.”

 

“Sure you were. Are you going to share what you really were thinking?” She is persistent as usual…

 

“Well, I was thinking about…” I whispered before kissing her lips tenderly.

 

So Eun quickly pulls away from our short, sweet kiss. Something does not feel right.

 

So Eun begins to giggle rather awkwardly. She is adorable, whenever she giggles. But why does she suddenly seem so…distant?

 

“Do you like the view?” I asked coolly.

 

“I love it very much. It is beautiful.” Of course she does, who cannot love Ilsan’s famous sunsets along the beach.

 

“Just like me?” I asked, before leaning in attempt for another kiss.

 

“Yah…” replied So Eun, as she turned her face away to her side, making my lips kiss her cheek instead. Was she annoyed by my kisses? She usually cannot resist them…

 

“Waeyo?” I breathed onto her neck, as I snuggle closely onto it, with my nose.

 

“Let’s um…go back now. Halmoni must be waiting for us to have dinner…” said So Eun shyly. Maybe she was feeling a little uncomfortable from earlier…I should hold back a little, and restrain myself from any temptation from kissing her; which is going to be extremely hard since we are meant to be on a romantic vacation.

 

“Arasso, I’m hungry as well…let’s go, it is getting dark.” I replied awkwardly, as we stood up and made our way back to the house.

 

 

Dinner

 

“We’re back, Halmoni!” said Junho and So Eun in unison, as they walked back to the house.

 

“Oh, good! Come out here, we are having a barbeque tonight!” revealed Halmoni happily, as she was starting the fire.

 

“Chincha?! Halmoni! You remember that I love barbeques the most! The even better thing is, is that So Eun is a huge lover of barbeque! Especially seafood! Last time we went to a seafood restaurant, she nailed like ten servings of squid by herself!” exclaimed Junho, which made So Eun blush in embarrassment.

 

“Now they think that I am some sort of eating beast like 2PM!” bickered an angry So Eun.

 

“Aigoo, I’m glad that our So Eunnie loves seafood too! Ilsan has the best seafood! Come over kids, let’s eat!” said Halmoni. Her address to So Eun, as our So Eunnie, made both Junho and So Eun feel flustered, in a good way.

“Thank you, Halmoni!” thanked So Eun happily.

 

“So Eun-ah, you must be cold. I’ll go and grab your jacket. I’ll be right back,” said Junho, as he quickly ran to his room.

 

“Aigoo, my dongsaeng is so caring to his girlfriend. If only he was as caring towards me! So Eun-ah, come, let’s get started!” said Si Young excitedly, as she dragged So Eun outside.

 

“Neh, Si Young unnie!” replied So Eun obediently, as she followed behind Si Young.

 

Si Young guides So Eun to the outdoor dining table that was right next to the barbeque, where Halmoni was beginning to grill the seafood and meat.

 

“Omo, Halmoni! The seafood…the squid and abalone looks really delicious!” said So Eun, as she softly placed her hands onto Halmoni’s shoulders, for the first time. She felt comfortable around Junho’s family, as they had welcomed her into their home to warmly and kindly today. She was very grateful for their efforts, and because of them, right now, her previous worries have been shrugged off. Maybe it was just the food that has made her insecurities disappear, or she realised that she was over-thinking before. She had loosened herself up now.

 

“Here you go, So Eun-ah,” said Junho, as he put So Eun’s grey, woolen cardigan over her shoulders.

 

“Thank you, Junho.” thanked So Eun, as she Junho’s hand.

 

“Aigoo, you two lovebirds over there! Are you guys ready to eat yet? I am almost dying from your PDA.” joked Si Young, who was opening a few bottles of Korean beer.

 

“Arasso, nuna. Let’s eat!” said Junho.

 

Halmoni brings the last plate of barbequed seafood onto the small dining table and sits in the spot in between Junho and Si Young.

 

“Thank you Halmoni, we will eat well!” said the young trio together.

 

Junho then uses his chopsticks to get some squid for So Eun, as he knew it was her most favourite. He dropped several pieces, along with a spoonful of chilli bean paste into her bowl. This made Si Young and Halmoni impressed by the younger Lee’s gentleman-like actions that were non-existent from lunch earlier.

 

“Here you go, So Eun. Eat a lot of your favourite squid! Halmoni marinates it even better than any seafood restaurant we have been too!” said Junho, with a large grin plastered on his face.

 

“Thanks, Junho-yah. You eat some more too. You love squid like me.” said So Eun, as she returned the favour and placed a large amount of squid into Junho’s bowl.

 

“Young couples these days…always so attentive and loving. It was not like this back in the day…” said Halmoni, with a hint of disappointment.

 

“Halmoni, didn’t Haraboji, when he was still with us, fed you well like this?” asked Junho. When Haraboji was still here? I did not realise his absence…I just thought that he did not live here with Halmoni and unnie…So Eun thought to herself in surprise.

 

“Well, when you’re Haraboji was still alive, he was always constantly working and his way of showing his love for me was not as cute and lovey dovey like how it is in your generation.” explained Halmoni.

 

“I’m sure he did, maybe Halmoni, you came off too strong at times to realise his affection.” teased Si Young. Si Young is a very ambitious, daring and confident woman, who was not afraid to set the mood in situations and also make jokes that can go wrong. Her jokes were never taken wrongly though, since she was smart enough to be aware of her peers and family’s limits. That is why Junho, can be playful like his nuna at times, but he does not have the sense that she had.

 

“So, how did Haraboji show his love for you Halmoni?” asked So Eun in curiosity.

 

“Well, he would protect me from all things that were a threat or danger to me, whether it be choking on a mandarin seed, or carelessly walking into people or cars. Simply, he would show his love with big actions rather than with small ones. He was a man.” said Halmoni, who was fully immersed into the conversation.

 

“Wah, Halmoni, I never knew my Haraboji was so masculine and dominant! I wish I could be like him!” acknowledged Junho.

 

“Yeah, Junho-yah! You should treat So Eun better too! You look so weak sometimes, that you are the one who needs protecting!” teased Si Young

 

“NUNA-YAH! I AM VERY MASCULINE AND NOT WEAK AT ALL! I ALWAYS PROTECT SO EUN FROM DANGER! I AM A TRUE BLUE MAN!” yelled an ultra defensive Junho.

 

“Junho-yah, calm down child!” said Halmoni.

 

“Yeah, dear. Si Young unnie was just playing with you.”

 

“Sheesh, my dongsaeng has not lost his famous short temper. Watch out So Eun, you need to keep him tamed or else the leopard within him will lash out onto you like how he just did to me!” laughed Si Young.

“Yah…mianhae. Okay, I will try to cool down more often…Sorry, if I scared you So Eun-ah,” apologised Junho, who used his hand to rub So Eun’s warm cheeks gently.

 

“It’s all good. You are forgiven.” said So Eun calmly.

 

“Okay, let’s continue eating my immature children.” Stated Halmoni, who continued eating.

 

“Neh, Halmoni!”

 

They all continued to eat their barbeque dinner in peace and happiness, admiring and consuming each bite with pure satisfaction in their empty stomachs.

 

 

After dinner

 

Dinner has finished, and everyone was left very full, so full that if they consumed any more food they would feel sick. Halmoni’s scrumptious food was simply irresistible for Junho, So Eun and Si Young, especially for Junho and So Eun because they have not had such tasty homemade seafood for a while.

 

As the two young ladies in the house, So Eun and Si Young are assigned with washing up the dishes while Junho and Halmoni were outside cleaning the barbeque.

 

“Halmoni, what do you think of So Eun?” asked Junho.

 

“What do I think of her?” answered Halmoni.

 

“Neh…”

 

“Well, I think she is a sweet, thoughtful and pretty young woman but…” said Halmoni.

 

“Sigh, there is always a ‘but’…” sighed Junho.

 

“But…the important thing is, do you love her and does she know that?” I do, obviously, but I have yet to tell her that I did. I have finally realised that it was a necessary thing to say and do...Junho thought to himself.

 

“I-I…do really love her,” admitted Junho.

 

“But…she does not know that for sure does she?” Junho could not avoid Halmoni’s strong words. He clearly knew that his Halmoni understood him the most, and can read his feelings like a book. He knew he had to answer her with confidence, or else there was no end to her questioning.

 

“No, she does not know. I just haven’t got the chance to tell her yet…” said Junho truthfully.

 

“Well, my grandson. Why haven’t you? Do you possibly still hold feelings for…you know, Ye Eunnie? Considering how long you have loved the girl for.” said Halmoni, before Junho grasps her hands tightly.

 

“Halmoni…I still love Ye Eun, and I always will. However we do not hold those feelings for each other anymore. None whatsoever. We have moved on, for many months now…” explained Junho assertively. He did not want his Halmoni to misunderstand their relationship; he wanted her to understand that despite any existing worries and hesitance he had with So Eun.

 

“Then is it because of Jin Young-ssi disapproving your relationship? Or are your fans being bothersome?” Halmoni was very persistent, not because she was being nosy into Junho’s love life but because she genuinely wanted the best for So Eun’s future with Junho. She had accepted So Eun to be her future granddaughter in-law, so she didn’t want Junho to feel unclear about his relationship with such a great girl like So Eun.

 

“Aniyo, hyung is supportive because he had already lifted our dating ban. My fans, well at least the inner-circle ones have I guess accepted that I have a woman in my life now, and I am happy. They have not threatened to hurt So Eun, so it is all good…” explained Junho.

 

“Then, what are you waiting for? Are you a man? Well, So Eun is a woman, and she will need her man to let her know clearly about how he feels about her. It is not only a one off thing, but the first time must be imprinted in her heart for a long time.” Said Halmoni.

 

“Halmoni…I understand. I should not be so irresponsible and indecisive. No wonder, So Eun was so uneasy and distant before… How can I not realise why?” said Junho, who reminisced their incident from earlier in the afternoon, where So Eun had said she was not ready.

 

“Aigoo, child. Sorry if I was a little harsh on you to come to your conclusion. I can see how much you love So Eun, just by the way you look into her eyes. Also with mentioning Ye Eun, mianhae, Junho-yah.” said Halmoni, as Junho gave her a loving bear hug.

 

“Thank you, Halmoni. I know what to do now. It’s all good. Ye Eun is my best friend so she is basically family anyway. If you miss her, I’ll bring her back to visit when both of our schedules are free…” said Junho.

 

“That would be good, Junho-yah. I miss that silly girl. Now you go and spend some time with your precious So Eunnie. Halmoni, is off to bed now.” said Halmoni kindly.

 

“Arasso! I will contact her when I get back to Seoul. Goodnight, Halmoni! Thank you again for everything. Saranghae.” Said Junho, as he kissed his Halmoni’s cheek.

 

“You should be saying that to So Eun. Goodnight, my grandson.” Said Halmoni, as she left Junho and went to her room.

 

Junho quickly gets out his phone, and messages So Eun to bring her outside to the garden. He wanted to make sure she was done showering and not sleeping yet.

 

To: My precious So Eunnie <3

 

So Eun-ah, are you sleeping?

Come outside to the garden for a while before we go to bed.

Pretty please?

 

From: Junho

 

 

In the garden

 

Junho’s POV

 

I am sitting outside in the garden on the long, swinging chair, waiting for So Eun to come out. I have decided that I am ready. Ready for the thing that I wanted to say my woman for so long. Ready to show her how I really feel about her, our relationship and our future. Ready to tell the most important woman in my life that I…love her.

 

It is getting very cold now, and my feet are getting numb. Is it because of the cold winds? Or is it just my extreme level of nerves? Probably both.

 

...

 

So Eun’s POV

 

I had just finished my shower and I saw on my phone that Junho just texted me to go outside. Sometimes he does the most random things. Maybe it was because he is a supposedly ‘grown’ idol. I wonder what he wants to talk about?

 

I put on my woolen jacket, my beanie with pom-poms and my nerdy glasses before heading outside. Nope, I am not trying to look cute in front of Junho. This is what I usually wear when I am at home haha.

 

I make my way to the sliding door entrance to the outside garden. I see a camp fire-light being lit in the middle of the grassed area. Then I notice that there was a swinging chair too, which was occupied. I look closer to confirm, and I see Junho’s back in front of me. I have always admired Junho’s back profile. His upper body was very broad and gave off a strong yet safe feeling. Junho is just that charming. Very charming indeed.

 

I creep up behind him, and I wrap my arms around those broad shoulders of my man.

 

“So Eun…you’re here.” Said Junho seriously. He is not giddy like before…something was up.

 

“Neh, I sure am. Are you not sleepy yet?” I asked, in attempt to break Junho’s seriousness.

 

“Come over this side, dear.” Said Junho, as I immediately obeyed him.

 

“Is everything okay, Junho-ah?”

 

“Not quite. Are you okay, So Eun-ah?” asked Junho. His words have many deeper meanings than just an ‘okay’. I can sense it.

 

I am reluctant to act like I was really okay. Sure, today has been very memorable and we have created many memories with Halmoni and Si Young unnie, which was great because it was the first time I have met them. It was also the first time that we had gone much further than our average kisses and embraces. Yet, it was also the first time that I had doubted Junho’s feelings. There were a lot of firsts today. But truthfully, I still had that uneasy feeling.

 

“Honestly, I am not quite ‘okay’ either.” I admitted. I could not lie, and will not lie to Junho.

 

“Well, now I know that was all my doing. Making you feel uncomfortable today, not even just today, but in recent times.” He knew what I was feeling inside. Lee Junho, you never fail to read my inner thoughts.

 

“Junho…”

 

“Shhh, let me talk for a little So Eun. Just for a short while, please.” I can sense that we are about to have one very emotional conversation. I’m I ready? Even if I am not, there is no way that I can back out of it now. Junho’s eyes, are glaring at me with full intensity and emotion. Whatever Junho has to say right now is something very important.

 

“Arasso…”

 

“Kim So Eun, I am sorry.” Why is he sorry again? I hate it when he uses this word, especially for something I don’t know the meaning for.

 

“Why, Junho-yah. You know I—“

 

“That you don’t like me using the word ‘sorry’.”

“Then…” I replied softly.

 

Junho suddenly captures my cold hands into his, which instantly made mine feel warmer.

 

“I am sorry for being so irresponsible all the time. I am sorry for being so indecisive like a pabo. I am sorry for not treating you perfectly by being a well-mannered gentleman. I am sorry for not feeding you before myself. I am sorry for…” He pauses.

 

“For?” I questioned.

 

“For not showing my true, sincere love for you.” Gulp. I am speechless.

 

“Junho…”

 

“So, starting from today, I will show you that I am not playing with you, that I see a future with you and I will make you feel assured and safe when you are with me.” My eyes are starting to water at his words…

 

“But—“ He ignored me.

 

“So Eun-ah, I know this looks very tacky and unsuitable for your stunning image…but it is the best I can do right now. Don’t judge me!” said Junho, as he pulled two little objects from his pocket.

 

“Junho-yah, what is this?” I asked in amusement of the two things in Junho’s hand.

 

“They are couple rings! Made out of…”

 

(The ring, imagine there is also a blue one)

 

“…Froot Loops. YAH! IS THAT ALL YOU COULD DO?” I teased. I actually prefer these over any expensive ring any day. Junho worked hard (to an ‘x’ extent) to make it for me, so I cannot be happier. This was really sweet of him. He drops his head in embarrassment, looking like a shy boy. I loved this cute side of him.

 

I laughed, as I lifted Junho’s head.

 

“Pabo-yah, they are the best present I have ever been given. I love it.”

 

“So Eun, do you really like it?” Junho asked, in disbelief.

 

“Of course I do…” I replied.

 

“Okay, well let me put it on for you.” Said Junho, who had returned to his manly tone from the childish one a moment ago.

 

Junho, takes my hand and slowly puts on the pink fruit-loop ring with a crystal sticker on my right hand’s ring finger. Ring finger, really Junho?

“Um, I think you should put it on the other finger…” I said awkwardly.

 

“Aniyo, this fits just perfectly.” Said Junho, as he kissed my hand.

 

“If you say so…” I said shyly.

 

I then put on Junho’s Froot Loop ring on his finger in return. Junho intertwines his hand with mine.

 

“One last thing, I need to say So Eun.”

 

“Mmm?”

 

“Saranghae.” Said Junho. He finally said it, for the first time.

 

“Nado saranghae, Junho.” I replied, before pulling him for a tight, warm and everlasting embrace.

 

This was the first time, that Junho had said that he loved me. It was my first time too.

 

I hope this would not be the last.

 

“Saranghaeyo, So Eun.”