Safe By Your Side

Take A Chance On Me

 

Morning

 

Junho’s POV

 

Love and belonging, is the third need of Maslow’s ‘Hierarchy of Needs’. It is a need to feel loved by others and belong in this world. We achieve this need as soon as we are born, as our parents give us the love and genuine care that all children need during our up bringing. Then we have many friends some that are so close to us, they are like our own siblings. Yet, some other friends may not be so close.

 

We even may find a very special person that is different from a regular friend, one that you have the urge to spoil, the urge to protect and the urge to make their hearts flutter more than they do to your own. The first of this kind of person that you may find, may be the one that makes you say ‘Yes, she is a keeper’, they may also be the one that you want to marry one day yet they may even be the one that you are willing to let go one day; even if it is against your will. Over time, you may come to realise that though you will always have a spot in your heart for this person, you need to let out the rest of the space in your heart for the next one. With fate, the next kind of such a person may never come to you, and you may even give up on finding too. From this thought, I have finally awakened myself from a dream that I have repeatedly had during my sleep over the last six months.

 

That dream, had initially been my worst nightmare. Though little by little, that same dream had appeared brighter and brighter. It was no longer terrifying anymore. I started to enjoy them.

 

Now, that dream seems like it has come alive in reality. Fate, had made it all feel real.

 

That dream had mirrored what I see from my eyes at this moment.

 

Kim So Eun.

 

Sleeping in my bed, wrapped in my arms, with her head lightly placed on my chest and her grapefruit scented hair tickling my nose, in the morning.

 

But most of all, she is wearing my ring. Yes, the pink Froot Loops one.

 

She is mine. Lee Junho’s woman.

 

She knew it, I knew it and even my cat knew it…

 

Everyone knew it.

 

Kim So Eun, is my kind of that person and I have opened the rest of the space in my heart and she has occupied it for a while now.

 

It just took me too long to notice it.

 

 

So Eun’s POV

 

I don’t want to wake up from my beautiful dream. Everything was just so perfect. I was laying in the mountains somewhere, on the grass of a field of white lilies. My only, Lee Junho, was standing in front of me and he was sparkling. Indeed, sparkling with gold particles surrounding his stature. Yes, he was Junho, not Edward Cullen. He smiled at me for a long time, before walking towards me and leant in front of me. He then finally opened his mouth and said:

 

“Kim So Eun, you are mine.”

 

I gazed into his shining eyes and asked:

 

“Why am I yours?”

 

He took another deep look at my face, which made my cheeks flourish into the colour of rose.

 

“Because I…love you. For eternity.”

 

Then sadly, I woke up from this dream.

 

I see that Junho, has still not woken up from his sleep yet. His eyes are still tightly shut, and I can still feel his deep breaths coming from his chest. I can even hear his subtle snores.

 

Let’s let him sleep for a little longer.

 

I slowly pull away Junho’s arm that was wrapped around me and I begin to shuffle out of my position. I am almost out of Junho’s hold on me, before I feel his arm swing back around, gripping me tightly again.

 

So he was awake after all…cheeky one, he is.

 

“Junho…?” I whisper.

 

“Shh…sleep…longer,” whispered Junho. Aigoo, this lazy boy.

 

“Andwae, I’m hungry dear.” I said.

 

“Please So Eun, just stay here with me a little longer.” said Junho, who let out a yawn.

 

“Aigoo, you can sleep longer as I go out and cook some breakfast…” I offered.

 

“Yah…”

 

“Come on, Junho. We have slept long enough!”

 

“Ani, I am still so tired…”

 

Suddenly, a loud grumble escaped from my starving stomach.

 

“See?! I am too hungry, so please let me go!” I said.

 

“Arasso, go ahead then. Halmoni already made us breakfast before she left to do some morning Tai Chi at the park.” Chincha? Halmoni is the best!

 

“How do you know, Mr. Know it All?” I teased.

 

“I know my Halmoni better than anyone. She came into our room earlier to tell us, but someone here was still snoring so loudly that she could not hear a single thing!” I? Snore? No way.

 

“YAH! I don’t snore! I am a very peaceful sleeper! You were the one was snoring!”

 

“Says the girl who was drooling in her sleep, making my shirt drenched and all. You are like a pig when you sleep, So Eun-ah!” chuckled Junho. A pig?! He is not going to see past today now.

 

“YAH, LEE JUNHO!” I screamed, before jumping on top of him and grabbing him from the rim of his pajama shirt.

 

“Hey, woman! Calm your horses down, or else!” warned Junho. I am so not scared of this boy. He is just not threatening at all.

 

“Or else what? What, huh?”

 

“Or else, I will…do this!”

 

Junho grabs hold of me and basically threw me around him and now I am facing him on the bed.

 

“What are you trying to do, Lee Junho-ssi?” I asked, in attempt to hide any fear. Just play along, So Eun.

 

“I am going to eat you!”

 

“Neh?”

 

Junho then crashes his lips onto my neck and starts to scruff his head up and down, laying hard kisses from spot to spot, before I try to push him off.

 

“Yah, enough ‘eating’ …I really need to eat, Mr. Choding.”

 

“But I want to finish you off!” exclaimed Junho. Huh? What is going on in this boy’s childish mind.

 

“Finish me off? Am I like from your enemy forces or something?” I laughed, before Junho crashes his lips onto mine for a brief kiss.

 

So this is what he meant by finishing me off…Cute.

 

“Now I am finished,” said Junho, who poke his tongue at me.

 

I quickly pretend to snip his tongue off with my imaginary scissors. Oh, we are so mature.

 

“Ow! So Eun-ah, you cut it off! Ah! Call the ambulance! I’m dying!” Ho-Choding. How can I stand this kid?

 

I flicked Junho’s forehead with power and he winced in pain in return.

 

“Okay, I’m not playing with you anymore. Bye, Ho-Choding!” I said, as I quickly jump out of his bed and ran out of the bedroom.

 

 

Breakfast

 

After Junho’s immature antics from the moment So Eun had woken up from her sleep, the two had finally made it to the breakfast table in one piece.

 

Halmoni had prepared a traditional breakfast for Junho and So Eun. Another warming, delicious meal was in front of their eyes. Porridge with century eggs, golden egg roll with cheese and tomato sauce, steamed mando dumplings and Halmoni’s signature kimchi – all of Junho’s favourite dishes were on the table. It has been a long while since Junho and So Eun has had such a traditional Korean breakfast like this. Back in Seoul, they usually made a Western breakfast with Eggs Benedict or pancakes; or sometimes they did not even have breakfast due to being too busy. This was a nice treat for the two, which made them delighted by Halmoni’s efforts.

 

“Wah, Junho-ah, now I understand why you love coming home. You must have been fed really well since early childhood. I’m jealous!” said So Eun, whose eyes and stomach was glaring in hunger at the food in front of her.

 

“Of course! Our Halmoni is the best! She always makes my most beloved dishes for me. I am her favourite after all.” stated Junho, with a proud grin.

 

“I will eat well!” said So Eun.

 

“I know you will, you are the eating queen after all. Let’s kill it!” said Junho, as their chopsticks immediately start moving from plate to plate and into their mouth.

 

“So, what do you want to do today?” asked Junho.

 

“Hm, let’s see…how about some sight-seeing? I hear Ilsan has the best scenery in Korea.” answered So Eun, while still chewing madly on her egg roll.

 

“Obviously, Ilsan is known for its beautiful scenery. So we’ll go up to the mountains and do some hiking?” suggested Junho.

 

“Neh, sounds good! Can we maybe go and do some water sports at the beach too?” asked So Eun.

 

“Hm, we shall see if we have time or not. Hiking up in the mountains takes a lot of time. So maybe tomorrow?” said Junho.

 

“Arasso, you’re the tourist guide! I’ll follow you, wherever you go!” said So Eun in glee.

 

“Hah, you better follow me! Or else you might get eaten by grizzly bears in the bush!” joked Junho.

 

“Yah…are there really bears up in the mountains Junho?” asked So Eun, with a slight sense of fear.

 

“Pabo-yah, of course there aren’t! You are so easily fooled, my love.” teased Junho.

 

“If you say so…I trust you.” said So Eun, who was trying to break her worried expression.

 

“Don’t worry love, I will be here to protect you. I could so take on a bear. I am a beast-dol, am I not?” said Junho confidently.

 

So Eun nodded in return, as Junho patted her head softly.

 

“Aigoo, let’s get ready. It is going to get really hot in the afternoon.” said Junho, who stood up from his seat and started to clean up the table.

“But Junho…”

 

“Wae?”

 

“I don’t have any hiking gear…so I guess we can’t go.” said a hesitant So Eun.

 

“Yah, don’t be scared of the animals! They are not going to hurt you. For the gear, there is an outdoor clothing store at the nearby shopping centre. It is on the way, so it is all settled!” explained Junho, as he placed his two hands on So Eun’s shoulders, in attempt to comfort her from her fear.

 

“Okay…as long as I have you beside me, I don’t have anything to be afraid of.” said So Eun, as she tried to reassure herself.

 

 

At the Shopping Centre

 

Junho and So Eun arrive at the nearby shopping centre and they quickly make their way to the Bean Pole outdoors store for their hiking gear.

 

Junho takes So Eun immediately to the women’s section and he chooses several sets of clothing, composed of a down jacket, thermal wear, dry-fit pants and of course hiking boots. Since the couple was in a hurry to arrive at the mountain range for their trip, So Eun efficiently chose her most preferred outfit out of all the ones that Junho bombarded her with. While So Eun was still in the dressing room, Junho chooses his outfit from the men’s section, which was a couple-matching one with So Eun. Junho was the type who is very particular with the clothing that he wears, due to his interest in fashion and his desire to look his best at all times.

 

The couple decided with these outfits.

 

 

They proceed to the checkout, and Junho being the ultimate gentleman he is, paid for the expenses, despite So Eun insisting that she would pay instead.

 

“Have a fun trip! Mr. Lee and Miss. Kim look like a well-matched and loving couple, I must say. Thank you for shopping here at Bean Pole outdoors!” the young female cashier said with a bright smile, to which Junho and So Eun smiled in return.

 

Junho takes So Eun’s hand tightly and the shopping bags filled with their clothes they changed out of and lead her out of the clothing store.

 

 

At the mountain range

 

So Eun’s POV

 

We are here at the mountain range, and I must say, it is really beautiful up here. Since this is my first time hiking, I am scared. Sure the view is great, where everything is so refreshingly green and natural, but I have heard about so many attacks on the news on people going hiking. I know it is childish to say that but I don’t want to be eaten by a grizzly bear or whatnot.

 

At least I know that Junho will be by my side, protecting me from those big and scary animals… I’m grateful that I can depend on him like a little girl no matter what the reason is.

 

“So Eun, don’t be afraid. I’m not going to allow any animal lay a finger on you. Never let go of my hand, and you will be fine, arasso?” What would I do without you, Junho?

 

I clenched my hand onto his even tighter.

 

“I won’t let go. But what if the bear eats you first?” I joked.

 

“Heh, no he wouldn’t want to each such a bitter and tough being like me. He would definitely want to eat your fragrant and soft flesh like I do.” said Junho. He leans in close towards my neck and actually bites me playfully vampire style. What a choding. A cute one.

 

“Yah…stop playing, let’s start walking before the bear actually comes and eats us both.”

 

“Okay, let’s go! I have been waiting to do this since forever!” said Junho brightly.

 

We then start walking forward into the sunlight.

 

 

After walking for the next three hours up the first mountain, Junho and So Eun finally reach the peak of the mountain. The two of them are exhausted and are starting to feel hungry. It was already 7:00pm and the sky was getting darker. So they decided to cook dinner, the remote way.

 

“I’ll go over to the other side to gather some bark from the tree trunks, and So Eunnie, you can go down to the store to gather some skewers and chicken wings. Is that all good?” asked Junho.

 

“Neh, sounds like a plan. So the store is just about a kilometer away?” said So Eun.

 

 

“Yes, but I will walk you there first, just in case you get lost or eaten…” teased Junho, which made So Eun slap his shoulder relentlessly.

 

“Ow, that hurts!”

 

“Then stop being mean! Hurry up, walk me there already, I am so starving!” complained So Eun.

 

“Neh, Miss Kim So Eun. Please, this way.” said Junho obediently, as he used his hands to signal So Eun to walk in front of him, who bolted forward at the speed of light.

 

After a short walk, Junho and So Eun arrive at the shop, which was empty, due to the time of the night it was right now. Not many Ilsan residents or tourists would stay out in the range until so late. The place was almost deserted.

 

“So do you know the way back to our spot?” asked Junho.

 

“Yeah, I think so. I should be okay with this torch.” said So Eun, while holding a heavy duty torch in her hand.

 

“Arasso, I’m going to start the fire now. Please be careful So Eun-ah. If anything happens just scream and flash your torch repeatedly, and then I will come to your rescue!” encouraged Junho.

 

“I will! Junho, please be safe too. If something happens to you, what am I going to do?” asked a sulky So Eun.

 

“Aigoo, you are so innocent. I’ll be fine; I am a strong man okay? Your man in particular…” said Junho confidently, as he placed his hands on So Eun’s shoulders.

 

“Still…”

 

“Kim So Eun. Don’t worry. Don’t overthink about it. We will be safe.” said Junho assertively, as he pulled So Eun into his warm and comforting embrace.

 

“I’m going now. Remember to pick out the biggest wings and hottest tub of kimchi for us!” said Junho, as he pulled So Eun away from him, looking brightly into her eyes.

 

“Alright, I will. Bye Junho-yah, I will meet you back at our spot in 45 minutes.” said So Eun, before letting Junho go to his direction.

 

“Ahjumma, can you please give me your best serving of chicken wings?” asked So Eun sweetly.

 

Junho’s POV

 

It has already been half an hour after the time that So Eun was supposed to arrive back here. I am starting to get really worried. She usually wouldn’t get lost or not be so unpunctual. But then again, we are in the mountains, and it is a place she is unfamiliar with… Where was she?

 

Should I go and look for her? Or wait a little longer? If she suddenly comes back and I’m not here, then she would feel even more afraid. What should I do? So Eun-ah, didn’t you promise me that you will be safe?

 

I’ll just start be roaming around the area first, but not walking too far out.

 

I am going to find her right? No, I must find her.

 

 

So Eun’s POV

 

Am I stupid or what? Why did I have to follow the ahjumma back to her cottage? Just to receive her delicious kimchi that actually is quite average? I should have just followed my instinct and walked on the path that Junho walked with me on. Now that I have walked in the opposite direction of where our spot was, Junho must be waiting for me anxiously. I always do stupid things like this that makes him worried for me. Good one, Kim So Eun. Mental slap.

 

Luckily, my torch has some battery left as I still have its gradually dimming light. The sky is growing darker by the minute. I’m shaking frantically in the cold weather, as I begin to think about those scary stories that people tell me about young girls getting lost in the woods and…not making their way back.

 

Aish, where is your courage Kim So Eun?!

 

Nothing is going to happen. There is nothing to be afraid of.

 

At least I hope so.

 

I think I see the ahjumma’s store about 500 metres away. Okay, I think I can find my way now.

 

Suddenly, I hear heavy, quick steps nearing my surroundings. I don’t know where they are coming from, but they are closing in and are getting louder. I better get a move on…I can sense whatever that is coming close to me is something dangerous.

 

I start picking the pace of my steps, going from a fast-jog to a semi-sprint.

 

I hear the steps drawing even nearer. . I start to run as fast as I can.

 

But then suddenly something leaped onto me…hard, so hard, that I fell onto the ground with that thing on top of me.

 

Then everything went black afterwards.

 

I cannot see a single thing except for…

 

Darkness.