The beginning of the Curse

One Way Out

 

The owl's voice echoed through the dark night. Nothing could be heard, well except for the once in a while conversing of the owls and the occasional harsh blowing of the cold wind against the tightly closed windows, as though it was attempting to bring the city to dreamland, and sure enough, almost everyone was slowly falling into a deep sleep.

Nothing could be seen either, even something as close as your fingers. The moon was blocked by dark clouds, preventing the faint light of the moon to reach out to the city. The streetlights were all faulty, only flikering once in a while, bringing barely enough light to the pitch black streets. This peculiar scene always happens every ten years, on the same month, on the same day and starting from the exact same time.

Nobody could explain why, maybe except the teachers who taught at the 'College Of No Return' for at least twenty years now. However, they could not breathe a word about it, since it was top secret. Perhaps, all this, was for the fateful history to repeat itself. The curse that caused the school to fall into terror, shock and anxiety.

Mr Lee changed into his pyjamas and made his way to his bed. Pulling up the blanket, he made himself comfortable in the bed's warm embrace. " Ahhh, after a day of work at school today, this is really a paradise~ " He smiled, feeling more relaxed than ever.

 

 

- Minutes later -

" Tick Tock, Tick Tock " The clock's ticking made it's way to his ears. He turned. And turned. And turned yet again. Somewhat something made him unable to sleep, as though something bad is going to happen. No matter how hard he tried to sleep, the feeling is there, making him felt burdened. Frustrated, he sat up.

Just then, his phone rang. He reached out his hand and took his phone which was laying on the bed side table. " Yeoboseyo? "

" M-Mr Lee? " The person on the other line asked worriedly. " Yes? Mr Son? You sound... worried, what's wrong? "

" I-It's just that... the kids... are... m-missing... They were gone before I could tell them to go home! " Upon hearing that, Mr Lee's eyes widen in shock. " Wh-What?! This is not funny, Mr Son! Tell me you're pulling my leg, you are, aren't you? Oh please, just say you were kidding. " Mr Lee said in frustration.

" I'd love to, but I would be lying if I said that... "

" Urghhh. "

 

 

- An hour later -

" Have you found the kids? " Mr Yoon asked Mr Son. All of the teachers were already informed about the disappearance of the students and were looking around the school, hoping to find them even though deep in their hearts they knew it was another hopeless case. " N-No... I'm so sorry, it's all my fault... I rushed back when I knew what would happen to them if they stayed back b-but they were already gone! It's all my fault... If only I didn't ask them to stay back... Will they... end up like those three previous cases? "

" How did you... know about the previous cases? " Mr Yoon asked harshly after pinning Mr Son on the wall and grabbing his collar threatheningly. Mr Son gulped. " I-I happened to see Mr Jang's document about the previous cases while he was talking to me in his office... "

Mr Yoon looked at Mr Son suspiciously and finally let go. He straightened his jacket and hissed, " You better make sure they are fine, or else you will find yourself in deep trouble! You didn't even ask for permission to let them stay back! How could you take such matters into your own hands?! Go and find them right now! " Mr Son scurried off, looking for the lost students.

Mr Yoon sighed and rubbed his temple, " I guess the curse will still take effect no matter how hard I try to stop it... There's no use... "

 

 

- 30 minutes Later -

" Let's end the search... There's no use searching anymore... They had already disappeared into thin air, and are probably living in the other world... All that we can do now is to send them a silent prayer, and also hope for the best for them even though I believe we are all expecting the worst. " With that, all the teachers closed their eyes and prayed for them silently.

However, Mr Lee did not understand why Mr Yoon said they were living in the other world since he was the only teacher who did not knew about the curse. *Living in the other world? Are the students... dead?* Mr Lee thought.

Dead? Not quite. But they are definitely far less than a human. There's no word to exactly describe what they are. Trapped souls? That's probably the best word to describe already. Trapped between life and death and trapped in the other world were the students. The unaware students who thought they were still in the school, surviving. Well, they are still in the school, however it is no longer the school that stood tall in the human world. It is the school that stood tall in hell.