" I Believe. "

One Way Out

 


 

HyoSung stared blankly at her. She couldn't believe it. But she couldn't ignore it either. Especially when her dear dongsaeng was trembling beside her. Ever since JiEun and SunHwa died, all she had left was Zinger. She could not let things go on like that. *Not Zinger. Just not her.* she thought. She could feel her body heating up. Burning with determination.

" U-Unnie... " Zinger wimpered beside her. She immediately directed her attention to Zinger. " Yes? " She smiled lovingly. " I'm scared... " She sobbed. Hyosung blinked, holding back her tears. *Not now HyoSung, stay strong for her...* She told herself and forced a smile before consoling Zinger, " It was just a dream, everything will be fine, okay? "

Zinger looked at her and whispered, " My sixth sense has always been accurate, unnie... I know what's going on, I'm the next target... I'm scared. " She bit her own lips and clenched her fist. Zinger couldn't calm down, not when you know you are going to die soon. Real soon. " Don't worry, Zinger. You will be fine, I will protect you. I promise. " HyoSung carressed Zinger's hair.

But in this world, there's no fine. Nothing lasts forever. One might be able to protect others once or twice, but how long can one hang on? All I can say is... not for long.

 

 

 

The doors was creaking, although nobody was touching it. The wind was howling, although no wind was felt. The lights were blinking, although the switch wasn't pugged in. Nothing makes sense here, nobody have the time and effort to care anyway.

HyoSung sat there, not uttering a word, distant and far to the world. She had to hang on, for herself, for her lost friends, for Zinger. WonBin sat at the other end, staring at her intensely, closely observing her eyes. For a moment, he could see determination burning, and the next, it flickered and slowly, gone. Then he could see tears welling up in her eyes, she blinked, and it was gone, too.

He knew she was going through alot, so much that she herself wasn't sure if she could hang on any longer. He knew she was feeling very empty, and needed someone there for her, to tell her eveything will be just fine. He slowly stood up, his eyes never leaving her for a second, and sat down beside her. " Hey. " He started.

She was still lost in her own world, unwilling to be brought back to reality. Refusing to let WonBin into her train of thoughts.

" I... know you are listening, " He coninued, " I just thought that... maybe you need a listening ear. " HyoSung finally reacted and looked at him. She sighed and spoke for the first time, " If I tell you something, will you believe me? "

He stared at her eyes for a moment, unsure. " Well... I-it depends... " He looked away, avoiding her eyes. He knew that by the way she said it, what she was going to say will probably make no sense, but he also knew that that girl, who's trying to put up a strong front for everybody else, needed a companion to walk through this with her.

Something about her intense and emotional eyes made his heart wrench, made his eyes water, and made his fingers quench into a fist. She smiled and looked down, " You probably won't believe it, then. Even I find it hard to believe. But its alright. Thanks for your offer anyway. " He stared at her. Her voice, so saddening, so soft, yet so strong. Something about her made him promise on impulse, " I believe you. "

She looked back, " R-Really? You will? " HyoSung's eyes was filled with hope for a second, but it disappeared soon, *He's just saying... He just wants me to tell, he won't believe me after I tell...* She then whispered, loud enough for him to hear, " You don't have to promise me if you can't do it you know... "

" No, I won't make an empty promise. " WonBin assured her, " So... Will you tell me what is it now... H-hyoSung? " It felt weird to talk to her like that, without formalities, since they weren't exactly close, but it just came out like that.

" H-HyoSung? Just... HyoSung? " She asked.

" W-we are friends now, right? So... I guess I can drop the formalities. But if you mind- "

" No no, I don't mind. It's always better to have more friends, right? " She smiled. His heart fluttered and he smiled back. Although she smiled, it was different. Different from the past. How he miss her old gummy smile that he will probably not be able to see again. " I miss your smile... " The words escpaped his mouth, only for him to realise it too late.

They both blushed and stayed silent for a long time. Not an awkward silence, but silence that fits both of them perfectly well.

As the night creeps slowly towards a "new day", HyoSung slowly, bit by bit, shared everything to WonBin. " So that was it, ridiculous right? " She gave a forced laugh, in a futile attempt to swallow the tears back. WonBin saw her tears that seems to be eating at his heart.

His heart hurts. So much that he's going to tear, too. But he knew he had to hold it back. He cupped her cold face in his warm hands and wiped her tears away, " Everything will be alright, so don't cry anymore, okay? My shoulder is always here for you, you know. " He smiled gently and she smiled back.

She then gently placed her head on his shoulder as she cried herself to sleep. WonBin, on the other hand, couldn't sleep. Not when HyoSung was sobbing beside him. He gently carrassed her hair as he stared at her trembling sleeping figure. From that moment on, he knew he had to be the one walking through the dark tunnel with her. She gave him strength. Strength to continue on.