Christmas Heartache

Purple-Green Love

 

"Appa! Appa!"

"Yes pumpkin.?" 

"It is you! I missed you so much! I thought I'd never see you awake again. I'm so glad! Please don't leave me anymore appa" Hyosung cried as she hugged her appa

Mr. Jun patted her back, leaning his chin on top of her head "I'm afraid I can't do that pumpkin"

"Wh-what.? W-why.?" she sniffed

"I'm already being called" he smiled sadly

"Called.? Called where.? For work.? You don't have to work anymore appa! I can work for you. That's not a problem"

"That's not it pumpkin" he chuckled lightly

"Then what is it.?" she shrieked "I-I just don't want you to get sick again and leave me. I don't want that"

"I don't want to leave you too. But I guess God has other plans for me. And for you"

"What d-do you mean appa.?"

He smiled, looking at his daughter softly "Daehyun"

"Da-daehyun.?"

"I-I guess I'm no longer needed in your life. Daehyun is already here"

"That's not true! You're my appa! Of course I need you! Appaaaa!"

"But not always pumpkin" He said, wiping away the bangs covering her eyes "Not always"

"A-appa" she cried "W-why are you saying this.? Don't leave me"

"You know that I'll always be here for you. I'm always here" he smiled, pointing at his heart and mind "But after I'm gone, you have to promise me something. I want you to keep this promise for me. In this way, I'll know that you won't do anything that will break my heart for sure"

"Wh-what promise.?"

"When I'm gone, you won't cry. And you'll always wear that smile that I love the most"

"A-appa"

"I'm sure Daehyun doesn't like seeing you cry all the time"

"He's unlucky, he got a cry baby friend"

"Friend.?" he chuckled "Lover"

"Appa" she blushed a little

"Aigooo. My pumpkin sure is inlove. Now I know that I'll be leaving with a relieved heart"

"Don't" she whispered, shaking her head "I don't want you to leave. I'm not ready."

"I'm sorry I won't be with you every step of the way. When you enter college, when you get a job, when you get engaged to Daehyun, when you get married and have kids. But appa will always be here to guide you both. Always"

"I don't want to" she cried, holding onto his hand

"P-pumpkin" he smiled weakly "I-I don't have much time left"

"D-don't do this appa" she pleaded, sobbing

"Promise me"

"I-I pr-promise"

"Take care of yourself" he said as he leaned closer, kissing her forehead "Take care of your umma, your friends and of course Daehyun. I know he'll take care of you too. He loves you very much, I know that"

"Appa!"

"I love you pumpkin" he smiled at her one last time "So very much"

"I-I love yo-you too"

Then suddenly, Hyosung's vision became white. Her appa's image slowly fading in a distance. "Appa! Appa!"

 

"A-appa. Appa. Appa" she said "Appa. Appa. Appa"

"Hyosung.?"

"Appa.?"

"Hyo, it's me, Jieun. Wake up"

Hyosung fluttered her eyes open, only to see Jieun & IU staring at her with a worried expression on their face

"Unnie, are you okay.?" IU asked "Y-you're crying"

She blinked, opening her eyes as she brought a hand to her staining cheek "O-oh. U-uhhmm. I-I just had a dr-dream"

Jieun sighed, grabbing her handkerchief from her bag and wiping Hyosung's face "You know you can tell us"

"Mmnn" she smiled, shaking her head "I'm really okay. Where's --?"

"Youngjae oppa and the others dragged him to the cafeteria. They were forcing Daehyun oppa to eat" IU answered

"Because like YOU! Daehyun is also a rockhead" Jieun chuckled

Hyosung laughed, nodding her head "You're right"

"You two are such great couple!" IU giggled

"So I heard what happened with Hyuna" Jieun said, sitting across the hospital chair "That girl does not have one ounce of respect in her body. How can she do that to you.? And infront of Jay appa. She's such a --- a ---- oh what's the word.?"

"Brat.?" IU finished

"Exactly! Such a brat" Jieun exclaimed

"You guys. Let's not talk about it. I-I really don't wanna talk about it right now" Hyosung muttered, touching the cheek that Hyuna slapped

"Fine. If that's what you want"

 

"Hey ladies!" A voice greeted them

"Yoseob oppa!" 

"Why are you here.?" Hyosung asked

"Oh so now I can't visit my friend's appa.?" he joked

"You know that's not true" she smiled "I'm glad you came"

Yoseob smiled back and hugged her "I brought cupcakes!"

"Gomawo oppa"

"Where are the others.?"

"Cafeteria" Jieun answered

"Oh really.?"

IU grabbed a cupcake, the icing "Do you wanna go there oppa.?"

"Nah. I'll just wait for them here" he smiled "So how are you Hyosung.?"

"I'm fine, I-I guess"

"I know you can get through this" Yoseob assured her, holding her hand

The other girls exchanged knowing glances. IU giving Jieun a half smile and Jieun returning it with a sad one

"Unnie" IU whispered

Jieun shook her head "I'm okay, IU. I'm okay"

 

~~~~~~~

"We wouldn't be shocked if you'll be the next one laying in the hospital bed" Youngjae sneered as he watched his bestfriend eat

"Shut up Jae!" Daehyun scoffed

"If you don't want Hyo to worry, you should at least be healthy for her" Himchan added "You don't want her to worry for you too"

"I doubt it. Don't worry, I won't do anything to worry her"

They grinned playfully, staring at him eating his food

"What.?!" he asked annoyed

"Nothing" Himchan & Youngjae grinned wider

"Wow hyung. I never thought I'd hear you say that for a girl" Jongup smiled

"Say what.?"

"That you won't do anything to worry her"

Zelo nodded and smiled "You must really really really really like Hyosung noona"

He rolled his eyes again, this time, chuckling "I'm surprised myself"

"Keep up the good work Daehyun" Yongguk smiled as he patted his back "Good start for your Christmas this year"

"Oh, speaking of Christmas, only 3 days left til Dec. 25" Youngjae said

"Should we do what we always do.?" Jongup asked "Let's bring the noona's & IU this time! Last 2 years, it was just us. But now that Hyosung noona is here, we should all go together!"

Daehyun shook his head, looking at his friends "I-I don't know about that" 

"Why not.?" Himchan whined

"Jay appa" he muttered softly and all of them stayed silent, knowing exactly what it meant. How can they spend a happy Christmas if Jay appa's condition isn't still stable. How can thet spend a happy Christmas if Hyosung's heart is crying for his appa. Daehyun can't do such a selfish thing for her. He just can't

"Yo-you're right. Sorry, we weren't thinking" Youngjae apologized

"Mianhe hyung" Zelo pouted

He smiled softly "Don't worry, it's no one's fault"

 

~~~~~~~

"W-what do you mean by that Doctor.?" Hyorim cried, holding onto Charles as she stared at the doctor "What do you mean my ex-husband can't make it.?!"

"I-I'm sorry Madam. But the cancer in his body is getting worse. He's condition isn't getting any better. The cancer cells are eating all of his white cells and soon enough there won't be enough to support him. His heartbeat is starting to beat in a slow pace and I'm afraid to say this . . . . ."

"W-what is it Doctor.?! Tell me!"

"We . . . We don't know if he'll be able to make it for another day. I'm sorry"

"No!" Hyorim cried even louder

Charles hugged her, rubbing her back "Ssshhh" 

"T-this can't happen! H-hyosung! Hy-hyosung ---"

"I'm saying this to warn you if something bad might happen tonight. We never know if it will be later, or tonight or tomorrow. Let's  just pray. What science can't do, prayers can. Let's all hope for the best"

"Th-thank you Doctor" Charles said

The doctor nodded and excused himself. After a few minutes, Hyorim fixed herself and went back to the hospital room with Charles, only to find Hyosung talking and smiling with his friends

"Oh umma!" Hyosung smiled "What did the doctor say.?"

Hyorim smiled back, clearing as she walked closer to them "Uuhm. Would it be okay for you kids if me and Hyosung have a little talk.? I just have something to tell her"

Youngjae nodded his head and stood up "Deh"

"We'll be just outside Hyosung" Jieun said

"I'll umm, I'll just accompany the children outside" Charles suggested

Just as when Daehyun was about to leave, Hyorim called him out "Daehyun, I would like you stay here"

"D-deh.?" he turned around, looking at Hyorim then to Hyosung

"Sit beside Hyosung"

"D-deh"

"U-umma. What is it.?" Hyosung asked, feeling nervous

Hyorim closed her eyes, trying to stop her tearing from falling

Hyosung finally cried, shaking her umma's arms "U-umma! Tell me!" 

"It's just --- .. it's just --"

"It's just what.?"

Hyorim breathed heavily, kneeling down infront of her daughter "It's time . . . to let go"

It took Hyosung for about a minute to process what her umma said. She glanced at her appa's weak sleeping figure, then to Daehyun who was looking at her with sad eyes then to her umma. She then bursted out cryiing, shaking her head violently "No! I don't want to! It's -- It's too soon umma! I don't wanna let go!"

"Hyos-"

"I don't want to umma! I know appa will get better! I know he will!"

"He will, darling. He will. But not in here" Hyorim cried "I-It's time to end your appa's suffering"

"U-ummaaaaa!!"

Just then, Mr. Jun's chest started heaving up and down

"Ap-appa!" 

Hyorim ran out of the room and called for help. When the doctor and nurses came inside the room, the others went inside as well. They all watched this terrifying moment. Watching Hyosung cry in her umma's arms who was being comforted by her husband. After a few minutes, the doctor shook his head and apologized for the last time, leaving Mr. Jun's body in his hopital bed, cold & dead

Hyosung was shaking as she yelled 'appa'. Running to his laying body and hugging it "Aapppaaaaa!!

"Ja-jay" Hyorim sobbed

IU cried endlessly, bringing her hand to cover . Youngjae glanced at her, patting her shoulder as she leaned her head against his chest 

"T-this can't be" was the only words Daehyun could utter

"Appa! Appa! Appa! Appaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Hyosung cried even louder, the bed sheets crumpled with her tight grip

Jieun was crying silently while the guys were looking down. When Yoseob finally looked up, he went to Daehyun's side and pushed him forward to the crying purple head girl

"H-hyung" 

"She needs you right now Daehyun"

He nodded, slowly walking closer to Hyosung. Letting his hand soothe her back

Hyosung hiccupped, looking up with the tears blurring her vision. Daehyun used his shirt to wipe her tears away but that only made her cry even more "D-daehyun-ah"

He smiled sadly "Just let it out"

Taking another glance at her appa, she cried again, throwing herself at Daehyun. Tightening her grip around his waist. Both of them sat on the cold hospital floor, crying together. The others sniffling as they watched the 2 of them embracing each other. Could this Christmas ever be merry?

 

 

 

(Ooohh .. It's already the last day of 2012 tomorrow .. Advance Happy New Year everyone ^^)