The Case of the Lost Cat

✈✿ Country Girls Meet City Boys ✿✈

 

The Case of the Lost Cat


 

Taking care of a cat was hard, specially a newborn kitty. And Bella had to take care of it because Rhea, Jazmin nor Liz would come near it, Sam was too busy with her job since it was time for the shaving of the sheep, and Aurora was actually pretty allergic to cats. So it was Bella alone against an untrained cat. 

Well, Bella and Jonghyun who had come to be very kind and caring of both her and the kitten.
Right now it was midnight and the kitten's soft whimpers could be heard across the room. Bella groaned as she got up and took her in her arms. Jonghyun sat up and rubbed his eyes sleepily. 
 
"He's awake again?" He grumbled
Bella laughed sleepily. 
 
"Yeah.. He's just hungry. Isn't that right Button?" She said taking the carton of milk that was in her desk and pouring some in his small bowl. "You're just sleepy baby~" she yawned as she placed the bowl and the small cat on the floor. Button instantly ran to it and started taking the milk. Bella walked back to her bed while rubbing her eyes. She shook the carton of milk before groaning.
 
"You tired?" asked Jonghyun.
 
Bella ran her fingers through her hair. "A little. Hey. Could you look for more milk downstairs? I'm beat"
 
Jonghyun bit his lip, not really wanting to, but not wanting to disappoint Bella either, he forced himself to nod and stand up.
 
Bella snuggled under the covers, taking Jonghyun's pillow and inhaling his scent. It smelled like fresh cologne and she hummed in pleasure. 
 
Minutes later, Jonghyun came back with a fresh carton of milk. He placed it on the desk before making his way to the bed. The first thing he noticed was that his pillow was missing. He frowned looking around before realizing that Bella had taken it. He smiled at the peaceful sight. He found it amusing that she fell asleep so fast. He slowly laid down next to her, careful not to wake her. She slowly and unconsciously moved towards his chest, a position they had both adopted over the weeks. Jonghyun kisses her forehead before falling asleep, ignoring the door he had left open.
 
 
 
"Button?" said a faint voice in the back of Jonghyun's head. He grumbled. "Button?!" said the voice once again along with the sound of some glass breaking. He sat up in surprise. 
 
"Bwoah?!" He exclaimed as he sat up. He was having a lovely dream where he was stuck in some land filled with pancakes of all kind and that its inhabitants were bottles of syrups. Just thinking about it made his stomach rumble. Anyways! What was the big commotion?!
 
He rubbed his eyes, his blurry vision vanishing. He could only see an empty room. Well.. A messy empty room. Suddenly, Bella appeared by his side. She had been kneeling down by his side of the bed, looking underneath the bed for the small kitten that had gone missing. Jonghyun, once again, screamed in surprise, falling back on the bed.
 
"Bella~! You scared me!"
 
"Oh? I-I'm sorry Jongie. I just can't find Button" Bella said with a pout
 
Jonghyun's eyes widened. . He had completely messed this one up this time. However, he played it cool by sighing as he got out of bed. "I'll help you look for him. And I told you not to call me Jongie!" 
 
"Sorry Jongie" Bella giggled.
 
Jonghyun just shook his head as he went to the bathroom to brush his teeth. While in the process of cleaning his teeth, a loud scream was heard across the hall. A scream that could only be identified as Rhea's. The duo ran out of the room (Both still in their jammies, tooth brush still in Jonghyun's mouth) and right into Rhea's and Taemin's. 
 
"What's going on in here?" asked Jazmin who was already there. Yesung sleepily followed after Bella and Jonghyun. 
 
"There is.. hair.. on my toothbrush." The shivering Rhea said while Taemin soothingly tried to calm her down by rubbing her arm. The four friends stared at them in confusion. "C-Cat hair!" She spat
 
Bella gasped and ran to Rhea's bathroom. "Button?!"
 
"He's not here anymore. We searched everywhere" said Taemin
 
Bella sighed softly.
 
"Find him. We are taking that beast to a pound as soon as we do" growled Rhea.
 
"I agree. I found some fur on my new shirt. Along with a couple of scratches" Jazmin rolled her eyes. "I didn't bawl my eyes out about it but.. It was a nice ing shirt, okay?"
 
"P-Pound? We can't take Button to a pound! He's just a kitty!" Bella pouted
 
"I don't care what you have to say on the matter, Bella" said Rhea
 
"I'll find him and I'll keep him away from you monsters!" Yelled Bella.
 
"Not if we find him first" Taemin said with a smirk
 
Bella gasped before angrily storming away. A worried Jonghyun trailed after her. 
 
"What?" Questioned a sleepy Yesung, blinking in confusion.
 
Jazmin simply facepalmed and shook her head.
 
 
 
After Jonghyun finished brushing his teeth and Bella put on some slippers, they decided to investigate. Bella had a determined look. She was not giving up until she found that kitten. Jonghyun simply followed after her, a worried look on his face. Bella's faced looked wicked. He did not like it at all.
 
They suddenly heard loud, repetitive sneezing.
 
"Sneezing?" asked Jonghyun, his head perking up.
 
Bella turned to Jonghyun. "Allergies"
 
"Kitten" continued Jonghyun.
 
They both gasped. "Aurora"
 
 
 
They quickly found their way to Aurora's and Onew's bedroom. Onew was passing some tissues to Aurora from a few meters away while she sneezed continously. 
 
"There you two are!" Onew frowned as he saw Bella and Jonghyun walk inside. "You were supposed to take care of that cat and now look at what you've done to my precious Ror"
 
Aurora looked down as she blushed. "Onew it's fine"
 
"So Button was here?" Bella asked, completely waving them off.
 
"Yes, your little beast was here"
 
"Onew!"
 
"And he left that way" Onew pointed at the open balcony. It was facing the town.
 
"Oh no" Bella groaned as she ran out of the room. Jonghyun took one last glance at Onew rubbing Aurora's back with a disgusted face before quietly leaving.
 
 
 
Jonghyun and Bella were walking along the mountain trail, following small yet recognizable kitten paws. Bella was playing nervously with her slim fingers.
 
"W-What if something pawful happened to him?"
 
"Really? We're doing the cat puns right now?" Jonghyun muttered under his breathe before shaking his head and turning to Bella. "Hey, everything is going to be alright. I bet he's totally fine. No sweat" he shrugged.
 
"Yeah but it's all my fault. I should've kept a close eye on him.."
 
Jonghyun sighed and looked down at his hands. There were two possibilities: One, he tells her the truth and she stops feeling awful about herself. However, she hates him forever and never talks to him again. Or the second possibility, he keeps the truth to himself and Bella keeps hating herself. He would've loved to go with the latter but he couldn't bare to see Bella stress any longer.
 
He cleared his throat. "Bella, I.."
 
Bella stopped walking and stared at him with those moon shaped eyes he loved so much. Her full lips turned into a questioning pout. Her perfectly shaped eyebrows furrowed cutely. He couldn't live with himself if he saw those beautiful lips curse him out, or those gorgeous eyes tearing up over how mad she would get. 
 
He cleared his throat once again. "W-We're here"
 
Bella giggled. "No kidding, captain obvious! You're so silly Jongie. Now, let's go!" she ran off to the nearest store.
 
"Don't call me Jongie" he muttered before following after her.
 
 
"Have you seen a small grey kitten?" Bella asked for the 100th time to some pedestrians crossing the street. They shook their heads before walking off.
 
"Thanks anyway" Bella whispered for the 100th time as she sighed in defeat.
 
Jonghyun, who was standing besides her, rubbed her arms and led her to the sidewalk.
 
"I just don't understand! We've searched everywhere in town and Button is nowhere in sight" Bella kicked the floor in frustration. "How irritating" she sat on the hot summer pavement.
 
"It's fine, we'll find--"
 
"Please be a little realistic with me. Please don't lie to me anymore. Don't give me false hope. I know we won't ever find Button. Everyone was right. I really can't take care of anything. I ruin it all!"
 
Jonghyun sighed, inserting his hands in his pockets then sitting down besides her. "Hey.. That's not true. You're very smart and can handle every situation perfectly. I'm not giving you false hope. I believe in you.. In us! As a team. And I know we'll find that cat!"
 
Bella sighed, covering her face with her hands. "I should've never let the window open"
 
Jonghyun's eyes widened. "Window open? Bella, you're not seriously blaming yourself, right?"
 
"Of course I am! Who's fault could it be other than.. Wait. You went to look for milk for him."
 
"W-Well, yes I did. What about it?" Jonghyun asked nervously.
 
"Did you.. close the door after coming back?" Bella asked
 
"I-I.. Well.."
 
"Didn't I specifically tell you to never leave the door open at night? Jonghyun.. It was never my fault. It was yours!"
 
"No, Bella, listen! I wanted to tell you but--"
 
"You didn't want to seem like the one at fault. So you let me get all the blame! You let me feel horrible all day!"
 
"Bella, please. That wasn't my intention. I really wanted to tell you!"
 
"If you did.. Then why didn't you?" Bella stood from the pavement and gave him a look of complete agony. The look of utter hurt, made Jonghyun frown sadly.
 
"And to think I actually thought you had changed!" Bella looked down and moved in a way that seemed like a shudder.
 
Jonghyun looked at her in horror. She was going to cry. He felt like the biggest jerk in the entire universe. Bella was the most understanding and sweetest person he had ever met and she had actually given him a second change to prove that he was more than he put out to be. She gave him a change and he completely blew it. And here she was, sitting in the hot summer pavement and who's fault was it? Oh, right, his!
 
"Stay here" Jonghyun said
 
"Why should I--"
 
"Stay here, Bella! Just, please. You put so much trust in me and it all went down to the dump but just, please! Whatever ounce of hope you have in me that is left, please use it and believe in me. I'll find Button"
 
Bella wiped her tears with the back of her hand. The sight was almost too painful to watch for Jonghyun. "You promise you'll find him?"
 
"I promise. Believe in me. One last time" Jonghyun gave her a hopeful grin.
 
Bella sighed. "Fine. I'll believe. But you have one hour"
 
"One hour. That's all I need! I'll see you before sundown!" Jonghyun waved as he ran away.
 
Bella simply shook her head. "Whoever said I stopped believing in you, Jongie?"
 
 
 
"Five minutes.. Come on, Jongie.. Don't make me lose faith in you" Bella bit her lip as she watched the sun slowly starting to set. She looked down at her watch once again and groaned.
 
"Guess who's back?" Jonghyun beamed, holding the small grey cat in his arms. 
 
"Button!" Bella squealed as she ran to him and took Button from his arms. She nuzzled his nose then turned to Jonghyun. "Jonghyun, what happened to you?" she asked in horror.
 
Jonghyun looked down at his scratches and scraped knee. "What? These? Nothing to worry about"
 
"We need to treat those wounds!"
 
"Wounds? They're just a few scratches!"
 
"You're still bleeding Jonghyun.. What happened?"
 
Jonghyun sighed and started recalling the events. "I ran around town once more. I went to the town's dumpster because we didn't go there. I heard a cat meowing but he seemed to be trapped inside a metal box? Turns out he wasn't trapped, he was just hiding. Despite his obvious change in size, I seriously believed it was Button so I snatched him out of the box and took him with me. That old fellow didn't like me all that much" Jonghyun chuckled. "Anyways, I found Button a few streets away from here, eating some leftover lasagna from that restaurant we went to when we first got here"
 
Bella stared at him with wide eyes. "Oh God, we really need to treat those wounds. Who knows where that cat could have been?" she whipped out her phone and quickly dialed a number. 
 
"Bella, I'm fine, really!" Jonghyun pleaded.
 
Bella raised her hand up, signaling him to be quiet. "Hey Rhea Unnie" Bickering could be heard through the phone. "Yeah, we found him-- I'm not throwing him away Rhea.. Can you come pick us up? Jonghyun is really hurt and we need a ride home.. Alright.. We'll wait by the avenue" Bella hung up the call and put it in her back pocket. "Let people help you" she told Jonghyun with a frown.
 
Jonghyun sighed. "Fine. Thank you, I appreciate it"
 
Bella's eyes watered and she quickly hugged him, wiping away her tears. "Pretend you didn't see that" she mumbled
 
"What are you hugging me for?" Jonghyun asked in surprise.
 
"Well.. You deserve it.. You earned my trust and my faith" Bella smiled as she pulled away. "Thank you, Jonghyun"
 
"Thank you, Bella! I won't let you down again I promise!" Jonghyun beamed, holding her up and spinning her around.
 
Bella giggled. "Jonghyun, stop! People are staring!"
 
"Let them stare. Gah, I love you so muc--" Jonghyun stopped as he looked at Bella in horror. Bella returned a look he couldn't quite read.
 
"You.. what?" Bella frowned.
 
"I.. love you?" Jonghyun said questioningly. Did he really? It was no lie that his feelings towards the angelic girl. The calm, determined girl had truly crawled under his skin and maybe he would go as far as saying he loved her. 
 
But he didn't want it to be this way at all!
 
To his surprise, Bella simply smiled and hugged him once again. "I feel the exact same way"
 
The smile in Jonghyun's face was as bright as the summer's sun. Once again, he gave her a big squeeze.
 
"Ah, thank you Bella. You're the best" Jonghyun smiled.
 
"Oh, well, I knew that already" she giggled softly, slowly hugging him back. "But thank you"
 
They pulled away from each other and then looked into each other's eyes. Jonghyun bashfully looked down then up to her lips. Bella simply continued glancing down from his eyes to his lips, a small smile on her own. Their faces were inches from each other's, their eyes closed and their lips nearly touching when they heard a loud honk to their side. They jumped in surprise and turned to see their friends in the old van.
 
Out of all of them, Rhea (who was driving) had the biggest smirk.
 
"Looks like the cat's not the only thing you two found"
 
Author's Note
before you sent me hate comments (seriously, i deserve some like wow sorry) i just wanted to say that i haven't had the chance to update any of my stories because i haven't had a solid computer for a very long time. If I even like edited a little bit of these chapters it would be by my school's computer or maybe my dad's if he brought it home. anyways, i truly apologize but i have a feeling i won't be leaving for a very long time.