Chapter 25

Twisted Love

 

“Sacrificing your happiness for the happiness of the one you love is by far, the truest type of love.” - Unknown

~~~

***

“We need to stop this.”

***

“You are spacing out again.” Hangeng stated as he caught Sooyeon once more, simply blanking out while they were in the middle of reconstructing their paperwork together.

Sooyeon can’t seem to focus, her head is pounding, but work is work, she is obliged to it despite of everything. It is a universal rule of success to never allow personal issues to negatively affect one’s integrity. Plus, the deadline that was given by Han Group is approaching; there is no way that Sooyeon will lose her focus now.

“I’m sorry... Where are we again?” Sooyeon said as she tries her best to shake herself back to focus on the meeting.

A knock at her door interrupted the conversation between them before the door swung open, and her secretary stepped inside.

“Miss Sooyeon, there is a man here for you.” She informed her.

“What man? Did he have any appointment with me? If no, tell him to come back some other time. Can you see that I’m having a meeting here?” Sooyeon said, sounded a little too harsh than she intended it to be. Sooyeon sighed huffily, massaging her temple; trying to ease the creeping headache.

“I’ve already told him that. But he insisted to meet you Miss-- Sir, why didn’t you wait outside first.”

Before Sooyeon can speak up, a familiar figure approached the room, and Sooyeon eyes grew wide in disbelief and shock.

“We need to talk-”

“Kyuhyun Oppa, wha... What are you doing here?” Sooyeon asked as her eyes stayed glued to him. She almost can’t believe her eyes, seeing Kyuhyun standing inside of her office without saying a word to her beforehand. But Sooyeon doesn’t seem to mind; maybe Kyuhyun is here to explain about the whole ordeal that had taken place between them lately.

“I’ll leave you two to it.” Hangeng said, sensing the tension that slowly has build up in the room, Hangeng rises from his seat as he excused himself.

~~~

Kyuhyun’s eyes lingered around the room, trying his best to avoid Sooyeon questioning stare. If he wanted to do things right, he knew he must be able to resist her. Resisting the urge to give it all up for her, resisting the temptation to hold her close, to resist her at all cost so everything will work out the way he want it to.

“You wanted to speak to me?” Sooyeon asked.

Kyuhyun paused before nodding weakly as he takes a step closer to Sooyeon who is standing stiffly behind her desk.

“We need to stop this.”

Sooyeon can feel her heart jolt with an aching pain as Kyuhyun’s voice pierced through her like a cold steel blade. Sooyeon is searching for Kyuhyun’s eyes, picturing his familiar features, but somehow she is unable to read him like she used to. Those eyes are bitter and empty with a trace of sadness lingering on his sorrowful gaze.

“Stop... What?” The tone in Sooyeon’s voice illustrated her emotion clearly. She is confused, but there is this part of her that somehow already knew what is in store for her. However, Sooyeon refused to believe because she didn’t know why it was happening. She thought that Kyuhyun was here; storming into her office while she is clearly in the middle of work to make things right again. To say that he is sorry, saying that everything that had happened between them is nothing but a misunderstanding.

 “Us.” Kyuhyun sounded too casual when the word slipped out from his mouth.

Clearly enough Sooyeon’s assumption has dodged from its supposed route.  

“What...?”

“I don’t think we worked out Sooyeon. I think maybe... Maybe we’ve taken things a little too far-...” Kyuhyun stated as he tore his eyes away from Sooyeon’s burning gaze to look at the floor.

“You think? So this is all about you huh?! Now I get it. You’ve been avoiding me all this while...” Sooyeon is almost screaming but her voice trembles as she is trying not to break right there and then in front of Kyuhyun. Not now, not yet. Not until it's all clear and make sense to her.

“Let me finish this, will you? While I was away in Japan, I just realized that I might have misinterpreted my affection towards you... This is all wrong, Sooyeon-ah”

“You what?” Sooyeon wondered how Kyuhyun could turn out to be so cold. So heartless and cruel even. Is everything that they had all along been out of misinterpretation? So Kyuhyun had lead their relationship, their hugs and kisses based on his false judgement? How absurd is that?

The wounded look is visible on her soft features as she shot a troubled look to Kyuhyun who is obviously still avoiding her eyes.

“Listen, whatever it is, we are both still young Sooyeon. There are many chances and opportunities waiting for us out there... Dreams to be fulfilled. You always wanted to excel in your career, and I want to do the same for myself too. We should not tie ourselves to the knot that we are not ready to seal.”

“What are you saying Oppa?! Did you hear yourself?!” Sooyeon is practically screaming at Kyuhyun now, not caring if people might have heard them. It hurts; she can feel her heart has shattered into pieces as it lurched with unspeakable amount of pain.

But Kyuhyun stayed silent, fully knowing that Sooyeon is so close to break into tears, it was clearly replicated in her voice.

Let Sooyeon cursed him, let her hatred pour, because that is exactly what Kyuhyun want. He knew what he was doing.

“Give me a better reason...” Her tone softened, she barely whispers, trying to not let her emotion take control of her rationale. Sooyeon moved from behind her desk and took one uncertain step closer to Kyuhyun. With shaky hands, she touched Kyuhyun’s arm.

“Tell me Cho Kyuhyun. Tell me that this is all a lie, a joke. This isn’t happening to us.” Sooyeon begged as tears running down her face, blurring her vision.

“Just tell me... What is it that I can do to fix this?” Sooyeon pleaded, waiting for an answer from Kyuhyun, waiting for Kyuhyun to take back all his words, waiting for Kyuhyun to ease the pain away. This is a torture. Sooyeon can feel as though as her heart was being twisted around and around inside of her body.

Kyuhyun shrugged Sooyeon’s hand off his arm softly, cupping her small face and he wipes her tears away. Every single drop of Sooyeon’s tears is tearing his heart apart, but he rather let her cry now than to let her suffer with him.

“Don’t cry for me. I don’t deserve it.” Kyuhyun said softly and he takes his cue to leave the room. He knows, the longer he stays, the weaker he will become.

~~~

And as soon as Kyuhyun is no longer in vision, Sooyeon threw everything on her desk to the floor; the raging emotion is just too much for Sooyeon to handle. She then collapsed on the floor with tears streaming down her face. Sooyeon feels weak, she could feel her body giving up the fight against the agony, every single fiber inside of her body is electrified with the waves of misery; Kyuhyun has taken her soul and her strength away from her. It was too sudden and cruel. Out of the blue, her world feels empty again.

~~~

As Kyuhyun walked out the room, he found someone standing behind the door, the same man that was having a meeting with Sooyeon earlier, but Kyuhyun pays no attention to him. He has to get out of the building as soon as possible; the air is suffocating, choking and strangling him.

~~~

Hangeng rushed inside of Sooyeon’s room, he found her slumped to the floor, with papers and files shattered around her.

“God.” Hangeng breathes as he runs towards her, pulling her up and he scoots her close to his embrace. He can feel his breath getting harsh, how can someone be so cruel and have the heart to break Sooyeon like this. He heard everything behind the door.

“Who the hell is he not to want you?” Hangeng said as he tightens his shielding arms around her, gathering her closer, still Sooyeon is shaking, and he rested his chin on top of her head, feeling her pain.

~~~

Kyuhyun hammered in front of Hyukjae’s club until the red-haired man opened the glass door for him. Kyuhyun went inside, ignoring the questioning look thrown at him.

“I need a drink, Hyung.” He said wearing his nonchalant expression as he sat on the barstool.

“What’s wrong Kyuhyun-ah?” Hyukjae asked as he went behind the bar counter pouring a glass of expensive single malt-whiskey for his friend.

“Who says there is something wrong?” Kyuhyun retorted. His hand reached for the glass and he started to sip the drink. The taste of the strong alcohol felt like a burning liquid as it runs down his throat. Kyuhyun groaned at the taste, but at this very moment he needs it, to make him forget and numb the agony that has been tormenting and torturing him.

“It’s early in the afternoon and you’re out to get drunk?” Hyukjae chuckled as he let the younger grab the bottle from him and poured more drink for himself.

“Whatever...” Kyuhyun grunted as he downed the contents, shuddered and wobbled as he can feel that the alcohol has slowly taken over his body and senses.

 “Maybe that should be your last.” Hyukjae said and he reached for Kyuhyun’s hand trying to stop him.

“ off”. Kyuhyun said as he looked at Hyukjae, eyes dark and militant, ignoring him and keeps on pouring more of the liquid down his glass.

Kyuhyun grasped his head between both of his hands as he can feel that his vision has started to become blurred, and his heart is thudding in pain. There is a burning pain in his chest, and it's getting unbearable. Kyuhyun took a deep breath, trying to shrug the pain off, before everything around him went black.

~~~

TBC

A/N: Not quite satisfied with this chapter. ~_~’