Chapter 21

Twisted Love

“Love is like heaven, but it can hurt like hell” – Unknown

~~~

Sooyeon almost jumped when her eyes immediately recognized the familiar figure that she missed so much. The past two weeks had been a torture for her, so Sooyeon had insisted to pick Kyuhyun up at the airport. She had excused herself early from work, immediately gets into her car and had reached the airport an hour before Kyuhyun is supposed to arrive. She quickly scanned Kyuhyun thoroughly, capturing the image of the man that she loves with all of her heart.

Sooyeon makes her way to Kyuhyun, and she literally launched herself onto Kyuhyun’s embrace. It feels so right to fall into the familiar hold again. She missed being with him, she missed having Kyuhyun’s arms wrapped around her, she missed the familiar scent of him, his soothing and angelic voice even when he is mocking and teasing Sooyeon around. It has only been two weeks but it feels like forever to Sooyeon.

Sooyeon-ah... Can’t... Can’t breathe.” Kyuhyun said as he can feel that Sooyeon is squeezing him tight.

“Oh...” Playful grin plastered on her face as she released Kyuhyun.

“I miss you, Cho Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun smile upon hearing her remark as he runs his fingers lovingly on her face. Kyuhyun knows even without the declaration, he can see it through her eyes, the love and the longing that Sooyeon felt for him. It warms his heart to see her again. Kyuhyun looks at her and warm and bright eyes welcoming him tenderly.

But suddenly reality snapped back to Kyuhyun and he slowly retreats his hand off. He can feel the sudden ache in his heart that pulled painfully as reality flicked back to his mind.

Oppa, you’re fine right?” Sooyeon shoots Kyuhyun a concern look and she is just about to place her hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder when the slender man abruptly turned around and picked his luggage up.

“I’m fine... Just a bit tired, that’s all. So, should we get going now?” Kyuhyun reply was cold and stiff, not the usual warmth and playful tone he usually showed to her.

Sooyeon was taken aback by Kyuhyun sudden act but she let it slip away, assuring herself that Kyuhyun is really tired and she had once again acted like a 13 year old love struck whenever she is around him.

~~~

Sooyeon is driving through the night to Kyuhyun’s apartment and the said man had fallen asleep the moment he enters the car. She sighed softly as her eyes catch the image of the sleeping figure beside of her. She wanted him awake, talking and babbling like he used to, but Sooyeon doesn’t have the heart to wake him up. He looks tired and worn out, and Sooyeon knows that Kyuhyun must have thrown himself to work. Kyuhyun also looks paler than usual, Sooyeon notices that.

Sooyeon is glad to have Kyuhyun back by her side, she feels normal again. Things are going to fall back to the way it used to be, Sooyeon is sure about that. Kyuhyun is the place that Sooyeon belongs to; only Kyuhyun have the ability to draw the other side of Jung Sooyeon that she doesn’t show to the world. With Kyuhyun, she will laugh and giggle over the silliest thing. With Kyuhyun she is not the cold self that everyone seems to label her to be. With Kyuhyun everything feels so right and perfect for Sooyeon. She can feel that happiness is only a mile away from her reach.

“Oppa... We’re here.” Sooyeon called softly trying to wake Kyuhyun up.

 ~~~

Kyuhyun can feel his heart clenched in pain as he read the devastated look on Sooyeon’s face when Kyuhyun bid goodbye to her the moment they reached at Kyuhyun’s apartment. Kyuhyun had subtly insisted that Sooyeon should leave, because he is tired from the flight and whatnot. And for the first time in his whole life Kyuhyun is thankful for Sooyeon stubborn and egoist nature. She immediately leaves without showing her disappointment obvious. But knowing her for almost than 17 years, Kyuhyun can read her like an open book.

Kyuhyun slid against the door of his bedroom to sit on the floor. He can feel that his legs had gone weak. He folded his legs up and wrapped his arms around it.  He has been battling against himself the moment his eyes landed on Sooyeon. He had resisted the urge to hold and embrace her, pouring all the bottled up emotions that is tormenting every single nerve in his body. He knows he has to be strong. He has to act blind to Sooyeon’s hurt expression. He has to play deaf to Sooyeon’s words of love. He has to, he needs to slowly withdraw himself from Sooyeon so that the pain will be lesser, at least to Sooyeon’s side.

Let him bear all the pain alone. He is not going to drag Sooyeon into this mess with him. Sooyeon deserves all the happiness in the world and Kyuhyun knows that he is no longer capable of doing so.

Kyuhyun can feel his heart beating in the rhyme of pain. Every beat reminds him that his heart is still there, beating and keeping him alive. He hates it, he loathes it because without the stupid thing he wouldn’t be feeling this much pain.

~~~

Kyuhyun rushed out his bedroom the next morning when he was awoken by a slightly burnt smell that make he jumped out of his bed. He ventured to the kitchen because he is sure that there is where the smell is coming from.

He almost froze in disbelief when his eyes catch the figure that is standing with her back facing him at the center of the kitchen. He let out a small smile seeing Sooyeon so early in the morning struggling with the kitchen stove. He can hear a soft murmur coming from Sooyeon when the toast turned out to be a little too burnt.

“Is it for me?” Kyuhyun suddenly asked and Sooyeon is shrieking in surprise.

“Oppa, I almost get a heart attack you know.” Sooyeon is pouting in annoyance because now the surprise breakfast that she is planning for Kyuhyun is completely ruined. She blames it on her inability to cook.

“Urgh, I think I just ruined it... I’ll just throw this away” Sooyeon holds the plate and looked down at the burnt toast. She looks disappointed with the result of her effort. She woke up earlier than usual, and rushed to Kyuhyun’s apartment first thing in the morning to prepare him a breakfast before she goes to work.

“No, I’ll eat it. You made it for me... Thank you.” Kyuhyun said as he stepped closer to her and eased the plate on the kitchen counter. He planted a quick peck on her forehead before ushering her to sit.

“Really Oppa?” Sooyeon’s eyes widened in surprise as Kyuhyun shove the toast into his mouth and obviously trying to swallow the burnt toast. Sooyeon can’t help but let out a small laugh as she watched Kyuhyun eat.

Sooyeon glanced at her wrist watch and immediately realized that if she didn’t get going now, she will be late for work.

“I’m lateeee...” She immediately rises from her seat and grabs for her coat and keys that she had placed on the kitchen counter earlier. She is almost running down the hallway but then she is back to stand next to Kyuhyun side.

“You forgot something?” Kyuhyun asked in concern.

“Yes... this” Sooyeon said as she kissed him right on his lips before storming out of the door again.

Kyuhyun can feel his heart stopped beating right there and then, completely stunned by Sooyeon’s sudden and unpredictable act.

“Just one more day. Just lend me one more day to love her.” Kyuhyun whispers to himself.

~~~ 

TBC