Chapter 23

Twisted Love

 

“To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.” – Unknown

~~~

Sooyeon huffs a sigh as she gazed tiredly at the computer screen on her working table. Her day actually had pretty much over. She leaned back into her chair, and spinning it around as her mind suddenly clicks on something that draw a naughty smile on her face. Double checking her work before saving it, Sooyeon stood up and stormed out of her office.

“I have to leave early today; I need to take care of some stuff.” Sooyeon announced to her secretary as she walked pass her table to the elevator. She pressed the button only to be greeted by Hangeng as the door open.

“Hangeng-sshi? What are you doing here... At this time?” Sooyeon is not expecting anyone, she is very sure of that fact; that's why Hangeng sudden visit is nothing but a surprise to her.

The said man smiled, as he stepped out of the elevator.

“Should I come back another time? Because it’s look like you are already leaving.”

“Oh, it... can wait. What brings you here so suddenly? Is there anything that I can help you with?” Sooyeon questioned and trying to keep her frustration for her interrupted plan at bay.

“Actually there is....”

Sooyeon tilted her head and shoots a questioning look to the charming man standing before her, but instead of an answer Hangeng laugh softly.

“I’m actually thinking of taking you out for a dinner, but silly of me to not let you know earlier. And it seems like you can’t make it, can you?”

“Hurm? Dinner... Well...”

“It’s okay if you can’t make it. You don’t have to feel bad for me. I’m obviously interrupting whatever plan you have earlier.” Hangeng replied as he read the troubled expression settling on Sooyeon’s soft features.

Sooyeon is making a quick judgement, contemplating on what decision to make, because if she is right, there is a look of disappointment plastered on Hangeng’s face, but the plan she had in mind definitely is not something that she will give up.

“I’m terribly sorry, but I promise that I will make it up to you later.” She beamed a smile at him with an apologetic gaze to match.

Hangeng nodded in understanding. He actually had expected this outcome and for this reason, Sooyeon’s refusing his offer is not a big surprise for him, but it doesn’t mean that he is not feeling disappointed about it.

They both walked to the lobby together, and before they parted ways, Hangeng said something that makes a smile blooming on her face.

“Whoever he is Sooyeon-sshi, he is very lucky.”

~~~

“Perfect...” Sooyeon grinned happily as she monitored the dining table, all set with foods and candlelight.

As soon as she parted with Hangeng earlier, Sooyeon had immediately rushed back to her grandfather’s house and had met with the cook in the mansion to ask for a favour. As if it all has been planned, her grandfather is out of town, so it makes it easier for Sooyeon to carry on with her plan. Of course, a romantic dinner with Kyuhyun would be more meaningful if she had personally prepared the entire necessary details, but Sooyeon is not a good cook to begin with. Almost burning Kyuhyun’s kitchen earlier in the morning is a good reminder on how bad she is when it comes to the battle in the kitchen.

Speaking of romantic dinner, Sooyeon had never once in her life attempted to resort to such stuff, but being with Kyuhyun, it is definitely an exception. Kyuhyun is the only man that is able to bring the side of Sooyeon that she herself never knew she had.

Sooyeon had made sure that the cook will prepare the best course for her perfect plan, and she is ready to leave after she is certain that the dishes will be sent straight to Kyuhyun’s apartment as soon as possible. Everything is all set up, but she knows something is quite amiss as Sooyeon caught her reflection in the large mirror on her grandfather’s mansion.

“God.” She whispered to herself as she stares at her appearance. She can’t have a romantic dinner with Kyuhyun while wearing her working suit, can she? But to grab a dress in such a limited time is almost impossible until she recall one name that will definitely land her a hand in such a crucial time like this.

~~~

“I need a dress, fast.” Sooyeon said while catching her breath as soon as she stepped inside of the luxurious boutique.

“Yahhh... Jung Sooyeon... That is not a proper way of greeting someone you haven’t set eyes on for so long.” The slender girl said while narrowing his eyes obviously startled with a sudden visit from Sooyeon.

“I know I had practically abandoned you all this while, but I really need your help now. It’s urgent, Miyoung-ahhhh.” Sooyeon chocked out, almost desperately pleading.

“God, you are unbelievable.... Come here.”

Miyoung is one of the few close friends of Sooyeon, that one friend that will always there whenever Sooyeon needs her. Despite her complaint, Sooyeon know that she can count on Miyoung at times like this. Plus, when it comes to fashion, she is definitely not the one you can joke with.

“So what is the occasion?” Miyoung asked as she dragged Sooyeon into the racks of beautiful dresses hanging proudly inside of her boutique.

“Erm... It’s a dinner, romantic dinner to be exact.” Sooyeon can feel a blush creeping out on her face as she blurted out the information.

“Oh my god!! Jung Sooyeon, you are in love!” Miyoung let out an exaggerated reply on her friend’s confession and as on cue, she quickly grabs a dress and hand it out to Sooyeon.

“Here, this dress will look perfect on you.”

~~~

Kyuhyun opened the door of his apartment and stepped into the main room. He looked around only to be greeted with the usual darkness and silence inside of the plush environment. He reached for the light and as soon as the light lit up the room, Kyuhyun was left stunned as he fixed his eyes on a figure standing gracefully in front of him.

Wearing a knee length black dress with her brown and wavy locks tied in a loose bun, Kyuhyun can feel that his heart has stopped beating for a brief moment. The dress fitted her figure perfectly, and the colour of the dress only accented her skin tone flawlessly. Kyuhyun doesn’t remember her looking as perfect as she is now, mainly because Kyuhyun is always accustomed to see her in her clean cut and sharp working suit.

“Sooyeon-ah...” Kyuhyun said softly as he finally is able to bring his voice out. In fact he really can’t find the word the express himself at the moment.

“Surprise!!” Sooyeon said as she right away pressed herself closer to Kyuhyun, and wrapped her arms around Kyuhyun’s waist.

Kyuhyun can feel his heart beating and thumping heavily inside of his chest. He never expected any of this coming from Sooyeon. He is hugging her back, resting his chin on the crown of her head, breathing her scent, but somehow the only thing that his hug reminds him of is...pain, and he can feel a jab of guilt in his nerves. Kyuhyun a little of her hair lovingly before easing her away from his embrace.

“What are you doing?” He asked softly as his eyes met the soft gaze of Sooyeon’s sparkling eyes.

“It’s a surprise for you. You don’t like it?” She asked as she looked at Kyuhyun. Somehow his expression is plain and lifeless. Sooyeon can feel a little disappointment jabbing her when Kyuhyun’s response is nothing like she had expected.

“Ah, yeah... Of course I like it.” Kyuhyun said softly but at the same time he is now averting his gaze from Sooyeon.

Sooyeon really didn’t know why Kyuhyun was acting like this. The Kyuhyun she knows would definitely say something teasingly with his usual evil-like tone and laugh. Sighing softly in frustration, Sooyeon let her grab on Kyuhyun’s waist free.

“Did I do something wrong?” Sooyeon can’t help but to blurt her frustration out. Maybe she has taken this whole relationship thing with Kyuhyun a little bit too far. She blamed herself for acting recklessly, because it seems like Kyuhyun is not comfortable with this kind of treatment.

“Kyuhyun?”

A soft feminine voice broke the silence between Kyuhyun and Sooyeon. Sooyeon look to the owner of the voice. A young woman, maybe slightly older than her is looking questioningly at both of them. Sooyein can feel a jab of pain piercing her heart.

“Am I interrupting? I can come back later Kyuhyun.”

“No, stay.” Kyuhyun replied softly. There is silence after Kyuhyun’s words, a silence that stretches so far that almost suffocating.

Sooyeon looked at the woman’s figure standing across from her in the room, still didn’t quite grab the situation that takes place in front of her. She looked at Kyuhyun with a pleading gaze and unanswered questions clouding her mind but she finds herself waiting in vain. After a few moments that feel like an eternity to Sooyeon, she slowly walks into Kyuhyun’s bedroom, finally realizing that maybe she is the one interrupting here.

“I’ll... Just going to grab my stuff from your room.” She can feel her voice stuttering and tears are threatening to spill from her eyes, but Sooyeon bite her lips to prevent herself from breaking right there and then.

She immediately stormed out Kyuhyun’s apartment as soon as she had grabbed her stuff that she left in his bedroom earlier, not bothering to say anything; because she knows that the only word that wills speak for her at the moment is tears. She walks away without bothering to look back.

But what Sooyeon doesn’t see is Kyuhyun after she had left him. He grabs the nearest object which happens to be a framed picture of them and throws it to the wall. It hurts him to see Sooyeon restraining herself from crying. It hurts him to see the pained look in her face. It hurts Kyuhyun to the deepest core of his heart because he can do nothing to explain the whole thing to Sooyeon. It hurts him even more because now he knows that he can cause nothing but pain to the woman that he loves.

Kyuhyun slid to the ground; his legs have given up on him. He falls to the ground, tears flooding on his face. Kyuhyun wraps his arms around himself; the stab of pain is unbearable and excoriating. Misery, pain or even agony can never match up to what he feels now. 

“You should tell her.”

~~~

TBC