Chapter 16

Twisted Love

The people you know best are the one most capable of surprising you – Gossip Girl

~~~

Sooyeon is in the middle of packing her briefcase when the ringing of the phone on her working desk startled her. Hesitantly she picked it up; she is feeling worn out after such a long day filled with nothing but work.

“Jung Sooyeon speaking”. She tried not to sound irritated, because she always knew that every call that was connected to her office phone means only one thing; business. And she is not going to let any chance that come to her go to a waste just because of trivial things that will bring her down.

“Glad to hear from you Miss Sooyeon. I thought it might have been a little late to call you considering it has been almost more than one hour since the normal working hours has ended”. The voice at the other end announced with a slightly heavy accented Korean.

Sooyeon raised one of her brow, curious. It is one of the habits that she has long adopted as the result of spending too much time with the king of mobile eyebrows.

“May I know to whom that I speak to?” She slowly sits back on her working leather chair, because she has this strong feeling that this call is going to promise her a very important deal that she has been waiting to happen.

“Are you still interested to work with Han Group?” The soft voice asked and Sooyeon has to hold to the side of her chair to prevent her from floating in the air because this is almost like her dream coming true.

“Yes, of course yes!” She answered almost desperately and that has caused the other party to let out a small laugh. Sooyeon mentally slapped herself because she can be such a kid sometimes and she doesn’t want to give that impression to anyone that is going to work with her, because it is crucial to present a professional and mature self in this not-so-pretty field of work.

 ~~~

Sooyeon is restless when she arrived at the restaurant where she and the mysterious caller that claimed that he is a representative from Han Group have agreed to meet up. She can’t help but to wonder whether the call that she received yesterday is some sort of prank call because that mysterious caller with such a charming and angelic voice refuse to fill her in with more details about the upcoming deal that they is going to work soon.

Sooyeon shakes her head lightly trying to get rid of all the negative thoughts that slowly started to make her doubt about the rationale of this business meeting. She is definitely taking such a huge risk here, because she is actually trusting a phone call that only claimed to be interested in her proposal without any further elaboration, but her determination is one of the reasons that had made her agree to attend this meeting.

“Jung Sooyeon sshi?” A voice approached her and she looked up and was greeted with a warming bright smile.

She abruptly stood up and Sooyeon can’t help but to quickly studying the man standing before her. He is tall, but not as tall as Siwon, his figure is not skinny like Kyuhyun. His frame is delicate yet manly and one thing that catches Sooyeon’s attention the most is the pair of dark brown eyes that this mysterious man possesses.

“I’m sorry if I might have confused you with my call yesterday and this so sudden meeting that I believe is not as normal as any business meeting that you have attended before”. The man said with a smile.

“And forgive my rudeness, I think I haven’t introduced myself yet. I’m Han Geng, pleasure meeting you Sooyeon-sshi.”

Sooyeon reaches for the offered handshake and let out a small smile before both of them settled themselves in the restaurant’s seats.

“I’m actually very interested with the way you presented your proposal, and that’s why I called you to check whether or not you still interested to pursue it”. Han Geng broke the silence between them after the waitress finished taking their orders.

Sooyeon shoot Han Geng that sits in front of her with a questioning look.

“I honestly have no idea on how should I respond to that statement, Han Geng-sshi, because as far as I’m concerned my proposal was clearly rejected by Han Group.” She is indeed confused, because she still remembers how devastated she has felt when the representative of Han Group rejected her idea.

“But I’m not the one who has been rejecting your proposal, am I?”

Sooyeon nodded her head agreeing to Han Geng’s statement, but still it was not enough answer to her question. How can a very strong and stable company like Han Group looked back to rejected proposal?

“Yes, but still...”

“I know this might look a bit deceiving and confusing on your part Sooyeon-sshi, but trust me, I am very interested to establish a deal with your company because I can see that you have such a strong vision.”

Sooyeon bit her lips, still not satisfied with the answer given to her. She has to make sure that deal is going to happen with success and before that happens she has to be very sure that she is not going to fall to any kind of scam.

“But Han Geng-sshi, how did you find out about my proposal and can you explain to me why you insisted to have a meeting here instead of having it in inside of Han Group with the rest of your team members?”

Sooyeon slowly feels irritated with the answers that Han Geng has been throwing to her, because this handsome man is beating around the bush and Sooyeon is not the one with the patience to make a guess when it comes to serious matters like this.

“It’s a long story and let just say that I did some homework beforehand.” He answered calmly with a smile plastered on his face as he can sense the irritated tone in Sooyeon’s voice. “Plus, you are not the only one who intended to prove yourself Sooyeon-sshi.”

Han Geng’s last statement definitely caught her attention and she is now is more confused than she has ever been before because this Han Geng guy is definitely one mysterious man. Sooyeon is definitely not a fan of mystery but somehow Han Geng has managed to persuade her to have faith in their business plan with strong arguments that convinced Sooyeon to agree on meeting Han Geng for a second time soon.

~~~

“I’m going to Japan for two weeks”.

Sooyeon eyes went wide at Kyuhyun sudden announcement over the phone. She almost screamed out her disbelief because this is so sudden but she is not the one that will easily lose her temper without hearing the other side explanations. Furthermore she refused to be labelled as a clingy girlfriend.

She definitely knows that in a relationship both parties need to give space to each other and there are some things that lovers should not meddle with. But still she can feel a sting in her heart because Kyuhyun is somehow excluding her here, but she let the feeling slide not wanting to start an argument over small things.

The past few days have been busy for both of them, she was trapped inside of her office and Kyuhyun seemed to have not left his studio. She misses spending her time with Kyuhyun. Of course, there had been phone calls to keep up with each other’s life but she missed Kyuhyun; she misses being around him, misses the endless teasing and mocking each other, laughing and giggling together over the silliest and smallest thing.

“Japan? Two weeks?” Sooyeon almost can’t construct a proper sentence.

“Yeah, I’m sorry for the sudden announcement, but I’m heading to Japan with the first flight tomorrow morning.” Kyuhyun answered calmly.

“.... Wait Oppa. What? Why?”

Sooyeon eyes started to form a well of tears but she bit her lips not wanting to cry. Damn, she silently cursed inside of her head, because she is not a cry baby but it somehow pains her. She actually has come up with a plan to spend her weekends with Kyuhyun, but that plan has scattered to pieces of dust, because the main subject of her plan is going to leave her for freaking 2 weeks!

“There is this one music composer wanting to work with me, and he wants to make our collaboration as soon as possible. I can’t say no to his offer, because this is like once in a lifetime chance, Sooyeon-ah. I hope you understand.”

Kyuhyun can feel his heart constricted with pain when he blurted out the news to Sooyeon. He can clearly sense the shaky tone in Sooyeon’s voice on the other end, but he pretends that he didn’t notice it because he assumed that things will be easier this way. He knows that Sooyeon has the power to make him give up even his life for her.

“I guess you can’t help it Oppa. Have a safe trip, and let me know when you have reached there.”

Sooyeon tried to sound as calm as possible not wanting to give out any hint of disappointment to Kyuhyun, because she of all people knows that Kyuhyun can be very passionate when it come to music and Sooyeon is not going to let herself and their relationship come in between Kyuhyun’s dreams.

“I really appreciate that Sooyeon”.

Kyuhyun can feel himself forming a weak smile upon hearing Sooyeon’s response. He actually has expected this kind of reaction from her. He can read her like an open book. She is not the type of girl that will whine over small things and he knows that Sooyeon acknowledge that music has been his soul for so long. Plus, Sooyeon is a girl with big dreams, and she must understand how important chances that will not usually come to your door can mean. So, he has decided to use this particular reason to prevent Sooyeon from questioning his sudden departure to Japan.

“Hey, don’t worry Oppa, you know I can get tired of you sometimes.” Trying to crack a joke but both of them knows that there is nothing funny in the situation that both of them are facing at the moment.

Kyuhyun formed a naughty grin on his face, because somehow he can feel that the heavy burden on his shoulders had been lifted up upon hearing the playful tone back in Sooyeon’s voice.

“Japanese girls are hot you know.”

“Yes they are, but you are not Oppa.”

“Ouucchhhh...”

Kyuhyun is more than glad when he heard Sooyeon laughing. He needed that laugh. He needed the image of her laughing and smiling to help him keep going. Only god knows how he wished to embrace her at the moment, pouring all the love and longing that has been tormenting him. He prays silently that fate will be on their side, because he can’t afford to cause her pain.

 “Oppa.” Sooyeon said after she has stopped laughing.

“Hurm...”

“I... I miss you Oppa”.

“I know Sooyeon-ah.”

They bid goodbye and Kyuhyun promised her to update her on his whereabouts in Japan. Sooyeon has actually insisted to send him off at the airport, but he subtly rejected the offer, because he knows that Sooyeon’s presence might have stopped him.

“I’m sorry Sooyeon-ah.” He said as he rubbed his face and let out a heavy sigh.  

~~~ 

TBC

A/N: Finally I manage to update. I have been spending my holiday from school too much and I somehow have stopped writing for almost two weeks. I hope everyone will like this update.