Sorrow the color of blood...

Precious Three Months

An hour after the bus left, Eun Jung was suddenly complaining of abdominal pain. As she didn't want her eomma to worry, she kept the matter to herself. Grimacing in pain, she went to the kitchen to wash the dishes. Beads of sweat had started falling down her face, and she felt weak again. Suddenly, Mrs Ham was alarmed.

"Eun Jung-ah...you..you're bleeding!"

Eun Jung looked at her legs, and she saw blood gushing down continuously. She shuddered. There was no way she'd lose her baby this way. So, she cried as Mr Ham, who just came in, helped her to the car.

***

Eun Jung was rushed to the emergency room, where the doctor on duty saw her. Calling the patient's gynecologist, she also ordered som STAT labs for her. Transl ultrasound was also ordered. When the OB-Gyne arrived, the doctor on duty relayed to her her assessment.

"Ms Eun Jung, I'm sorry to say, but you're having a miscarriage," Eun Jung's OB-Gyne said.

Tears started to fall from Eun Jung's eyes. "What causes it? I don't think I've been doing heavy jobs for me to miscarry my baby..."

"We really can't that rule out, Ms Ham. Spontaneous abortion, or miscarriage, has many causes. But for now, since the baby's not going to survive due to extreme blood loss, I'm going to perform a D&C on you to make sure we completely remove the remains of the uterus. I'm also going to have the sample sent to the histopathology department to see what caused the unusual bleeding. I also had blood units on standby in case you need blood transfusion."

Mrs Ham held Eun Jung's hand. She herself was in tears, seeing that her soon-to-be grandchild had just died. It seems like in just a day, the two persons Eun Jung loved were taken away from her.

***

Mrs Ham went inside her daughter's hospital room. Eun Jung was already awake, but she was spacing out, looking ouside the window. The elder Ham went to her daughter's bed, sat by the chair and held her daughter's hand.

"Eun Jung-ah..."

"Eomma..why? Why me? Why does it have to be this way now that I'm totally happy? How will I say this to Taecyeon?"

"Child...please rest. I know it's hard. Okaasan had that too, as you may recall...I'm so sorry it had to be this way for you...but bear in mind that your parents will be here for you even if Taecyeon can't."

Eun Jung looked at her eomma, tears streaming down her face.

"Eomma, I guess I'm being punished for lying to you and appa..."

"Child, what are you talking about? Even if this miscarriage happened to you, you must not think of it as a punishment."

The younger Ham looked at the window again, then she suddenly broke down and cried. Her eomma stood up and sat on the patient's bed, hugging her daughter.

"Eomma...Juntaro-kun and I...had been in a relationship too..."

"M..mwoh? I..is that what you wanted to confess to me? But he's your uncle..."

"Legally, yes..but he wasn't our blood kin, Eomma. Every day that I was in a relationship with him, I feel like I've sinned behind you and Obaasan. I loved Obaasan and I didn't want to hurt her, but Juntaro-kun had been my everything. And when we were finally happy, he was taken away from me. And it's the same now with my baby. He's been taken away from me. I fear that Taecyeon would be so downtrodden he'll screw up in his work, blame me and leave me. I cannot accept that Eomma, I just can't! This is all too much!"

"Eun Jung-ah, God must have his reasons why these things happen to you. I just hoped you'll not associate happiness with disaster. I'm very sorry that this happened to your child. You know, truth be told, we had waited for you for ten long years...and I almost miscarried you too."

"J..jeongmal? You waited for me that long too?"

Mrs Ham couldn't contain her tears any longer. "I wouldn't want to consider this as our curse, but it seems that to miscarry a child had been the misfortune that was to be our lot. I just don't want to believe it, but it's been happening to me, to you , to okaasan..and to Ayako-chan too..."

"Eomma..."

"Cry if you must. I won't force you to stop. We'll help you get by with this. And tomorrow, I'll call JYP-ssi. I'll ask for Taecyeon and tell him about you and your child."

***

Jiyeon and Hwa Young were shocked to learn that their teacher was pregnant, but they, as well as Hyomin, was saddened over her dilemma. The three ladies went to visit Eun Jung at the hospital. When they went inside the room, they saw the patient spacing out again, staring at the wall.

"Ssaem..." Jiyeon whispered.

Hyomin went over to her cousin and hugged her. "Mian...Mianhe...I don't know what to say to you..but I'm so sorry to hear about it..."

Eun jung looked at her cousin and at her students. Her eyes had dried out from crying, but then, tears started to roll down her cheeks.

"J..Jiyeon-ah...can..can you call Taecyeon...for me...? I...I don't know how I'll tell him this...bad news..."

Jiyeon nodded, unsure how she'll do as her teacher asked. Eun Jung had specifically forbidden them not to ask for the 2PM guys' numbers, and now that she needed it, she had no clue. Suddenly, she remembered Jin Woon.