Aie imasu

Precious Three Months

After Michiko-san's body was cremated, the sons and daughters and family members finally had her buried in the cemetery. Eun Jung was crying the whole time because she missed her obaasan. Her eomma comforted her daughter, consoling her that finally, Michicko-san had finally been at peace with Kame-sama. The family paid their last respects before they finally left the grave, but Eun Jung chose to remain.

The other children of Michiko-san didn't find any reason to stay, so they left immediately for Seoul. It was snowing lightly when Mrs Ham and Mr Ham returned home.  Upon exiting their car, they noticed Taecyeon and Nichkhun waiting by the bench. Taecyeon looked for Eun Jung, but did not see her.

"Annyeong hasaeyo, Ham-ssi...did Noona remain by her halmeoni's grave?" Taecyeon asked, quite concerned. Mr Ham noticed the concern in his voice and caught a hint in it.

"Ne, she did. She didn't want to come back with us. She wanted to be alone. She must had taken her obaasan's death too hard. She told me to call the school that she'd take three days' leave. She isn't in the mood even to go to school tomorrow.

Nichkhun siged. "We're sorry to hear about it, Maam, really. We just can't imagine the grief Noona experienced now. But then, it's snowing. How's she doing out there? Does she have any coat with her?"

"Ne," Mr Ham said. "but I don't think it's thick enough for this weather. Winter's still not here yet, but it started snowing already."

"Ham-ssi, is it all right if I go and fetch her a coat then? Or maybe take her home?" Taecyeon asked. So Mrs Ham told him to wait as she'll get one of Eun Jung's thicker coats. When she returned, she gave him a bag.

"I know it's still not that bad out there, but I fear that she might not want to come home tonight. Maybe, you could take her to okaasan's former house too and sort out her things."

"Arrasseo. Hyung, are you coming with me?"

"Ani...My knees hurt. You know how I feel about cold weather, don't you?" Nichkhun said, referring to his arthritis. And so, Taecyeon said he'll go on alone. He was about to start to walk when Mr Ham placed his hand on Taecyeon's shoulder.

"I know how you feel about my daughter, and by that, I thank you very much. Take care of her, and please take her home. Take the car with you. It's bad on the hills, but the pick-up would do fine."

***

Taecyeon went to the cemetery, looking for Eun Jung or the newly made Japanese grave that was erected there. When he came out of the truck, he decided to look for her in front of the grave, hoping that if she'll be kneeling and crying, he'll run up to her and hug her tight. And finally, in the corner of his eye, he saw a small house he hadn't noticed before. He decided to check it. He suddenly heard someone crying inside and some song playing. He heard the crying person say something to someone inside.

"You left me, obaasan left me. What am I to do now?"

It's Eun Jung, Taecyeon thought. So, he came nearer and eavesdropped.

"Juntaro-kun, you were the best thing that had ever happened to me. You were always there for me even though I hated you for being Obaasan's favorite. Yet still, when you confessed to me that you loved me, everything changed. Obaasan may still had treated me as she did, but because you were there, life was beautiful for me. An now, Obaasan, my greatest teacher, had left me."

Taecyeon swallowed as he couldn't believe what he heard. He suddenly remembered Eun Jung telling him that she was involved in a forbidden relationship, and now he knew why. Eun Jung was dating her legal uncle. Yet, if Juntaro wasn't legally adopted, he and Eun Jung could still be in a relationship. He now knew the reason why Eun JUng always leave home every Saturday at 2 in the afternoon and always return late.

"Obaasan, why did you leave me alone? I wasn't a bad granddaughter, was I? Juntaro, why did you say that I should forget you? I can never forget you. You were my first love, and whatever happens, you will always be here in  my heart. I'm sorry for being such a stubborn girlfriend. You would always reprimand me about not doing some things you hate which I wanted to do. And now that you wanted me to replace you in my heart, I don't think I could do that. I'm afraid of loving someone, I'm not ready yet. You asked me if I had replaced someone already in my heart...that I cannot answer. For though I've started to like Taecyeon, but you will always be whom I love."

TAecyeon blushed. It never occured to him that Ms Lioness liked him too. Eun Jung never showed a bit of interest in him. But it hurt him to think that Eun Jung was still in love with her dead boyfriend. 

"Aie imasu, Juntaro-kun." Eun Jung said as she picked up the picture and gave it a long kiss. "Please help me. I'm so confused right now."

A little later, she stood up. When she saw through the window that more snow had fallen, she started to get worried. Digging through her purse, she tried to find her cellphone, but in vain. Suddenly, she saw TAecyeon standing by the door.

"Taecyeon-ah..what are you doing here? How long had you been standing there?"

TAecyeon went inside. Before he answered EUn Jung, he paid his respect for the dead. Standing up, he turned toward his noona.

"I've heard everything you said to him. You never told me he was your boyfriend. Is that the reason why your parents never knew about you two because you were dating your legal uncle?"

Eun Jung didn't answer, yet she kept crying. Taecyeon went to her and gave her a hug. Eun Jung couldn't take all the hurt anymore, so she cried on the guy's chest. TAecyeon kissed her head and held her in his embrace for a long time.

"I heard too that you liked me, but tell you what, I'm jealous. And I'm sorry to be jealous because you're still holding on to a memory that had long been gone. Can you not give me a chance? I loved you from the first time I saw you on the bus."

Eun Jung looked up to him searching in his eyes for anything she could find: anger, jealousy, or even love.

"Mianhe...I want to go home...I'm cold."

"Let's go to your obaasan's house. Your mom wanted us to see what else we could see there. We could stay there too if you want."

"Ne...Taecyeon-ah, please carry me. I'm tired."