Halabeoji, Halmeoni...

Precious Three Months

The next day was Wednesday. As classes had recessed, the guys were starting to feel uneasy. After Taecyeon's birthday, they were expected to return to Seoul. JYP had talked to Eun Jung and MR Ham and told them the guy who planned to sue Taecyeon decided to withdraw the case. He also admitted going inside the  strictly prohibited area. As a result, a case of trespassing was filed against him. Taecyeon was especially feeling uneasy because he'll be leaving Eun Jung while she's pregnant. At the back of his mind, he wanted to continue supporting her and the baby and to visit them as often as possible. 

Eun Jung and Taecyeon decided to have a talk with her parents after lunch time. They didn't want the other guys to know of their relationship. When Eun Jung told her parents she wanted to talk with them, they wer suddenly worried and anxious.

***

Woo Young cleaned the dining room after he washed the dishes, and so when he left, Eun Jung and Taecyeon decided it was time. All of them sat themselves in the living room, closing all the doors and windows so that nobody can hear the conversation.

"What's this about, Eun Jung-ha? You're making me nervous," Mrs Ham said as she massaged her chest. Her heart was pounding uneasily she feared she'd get a heart attack.

"Relax, Eomma, it's really not a big deal..well, the first news isn't.."

"And the second one is?" Mr Ham asked. Taecyeon nodded.

"You see, Ham-ssi..I just asked your daughter on her birthday..to be my yeojachingu..."

"OMO????? Jinjja????? Chukhahae, Eun Jung-ah! You've finally had a boyfriend!!!" Mrs Ham said as she stood up and hugged her daughter. "Well, what's the second one?"

"Eomma..well...you see...I'm..I'm pregnant..."

"MWOH???" Mr Ham and Mrs Ham interjected. Mr Ham pointed to Taecyeon. "N..neo...are you the father of the kid?"

"Ne... and when she told me about it last night, I couldn't contain my happiness.."

MR Ham cried. He looked at his wife who was hugging her daughter tight.

"I"m finally going to become halabeoji!" Mr Ham said as he wiped his tears. Mrs Ham couldn't stop crying too.

"Bu..But, Taecyeon-ah, how are you going to support her if you're going to be very busy in Seoul?" Mrs Ham asked. "And when do you plan on getting married?"

"Eomma, we decided that he visit me as often as he can. But then, I'm thinking of transferring to Seoul so that we could live together after we get married. I still planned on being a teacher though. We planned to get engaged on his birthday, and we plan to wed in the middle of January."

"That's fast. But then again, I don't want you to get disgraced just because you got a child outside marriage." Mr Ham said.

Suddenly, the elderly couple were exchanging words on how they should bring up the child, who'll spoil him and who'll look like him.

"Eomma, Appa, you don't have to argue. Of course, I know you'd be proud grandparents later on. I just wanted to make sure I'm healthy so that I could carry Taecyeon Jr for nine months without any problems."

 

***

 

That afternoon, Eun Jung and her eomma went to visit her gynecologist. As she was also an obstetrician, she received Eun Jung's case as well. She began to do a check up on her patient.

"I believe you had already checked yourself as pregnant, so I don't have to order another pregnancy test. But based on your history, since eomma has diabetes, I believe? I just won't take chances. You might acquire gestational diabetes, and we want to avoid that. I'm going to have you do a glucose challenge test. If it's high, I could have you do the tolerance test. Let me have you do CBC, and urinalysis. Let's check your metabolic profile too, I'll order a comprehensive panel. I'll also order a screening test for rubella, syphillis, and  HBsAg too to see if you're infected with Hepatitis B virus. I'll also check your blood type so that in case your Rh is negative, I could give you RhoGam. Then I'll do a Pap smear on you too."

(A/N: HBsAg is Hepatits B surface antigen, CBC is complete blood count. Rh (D) is the second most important blood type after ABO. It is named after the Rhesus monkey, which it was first discovered. Our blood types are primarily based on the ABO and the Rh systems. Hence one can be A Positive, or A Negative. RhoGam is a type of serum a doctor injects on an Rh Negative mother at different intervals during her pregnancy to prevent her body from producing D antibodies against the fetus. Failure to do so would not be so bad in the first pregnancy, but would be fatal to the succeeding pregnancies. The baby could develop hemolytic disease of the newborn. Babies with HDN appear jaundiced (yellowish). I may not be able to discuss all of these here as it would take up time. You could do your own research.)

So Eun Jung went to the laboratory to have herself checked as her OB ordered.