Ghost from the Past

Precious Three Months

Sunday. The Ham family went to Church along with some of the guys who were Catholics. The others who weren't went with some of the neighbors who had the same religion as them. After the Sunday obligations, the family cooked their Sunday lunch along with the fishes Eun Jung, Taecyeon and Jun Ho caught. Woo Young helped Chan Sung grill the fishes outside the house. Nichkhun and Taecyeon made some desserts. Mrs Ham and Eun Jung cooked some of the other dishes. Mr Ham, Jun Ho and Jun Su were spoiling Soyeon's sons in the living room. Soyeon went to the grocery store to buy some more desserts and cola and other kitchen needs. 

When at last the meal was ready, everyone packed to the table like sardines in a can.

"We will eat well!" The boys said. Then they grabbed whatever they could find, to Mr and Mrs Ham's amusement and to Eun Jung's chagrin. Even Soyeon kept laughing because the guys ate like her boys.

"Well, calm down all of you..you migh choke on your food," Soyeon reminded them.

"But noona, lunch is really really really good that I can't stop eating!" Nichkhun said said he made a thumbs up sign. 

Eun Jung sourly looked at Nichkhun's expression and resumed eating. She suddenly noticed Taecyeon stealing a glance. When he was caught, he bowed his head again. To his surprise, Eun Jung didn't even bother berating him. When he looked up back to her, she sighed as she continued eating her rice.

"Eun Jung-ah, are you going to visit okaasan today?" Mrs Ham asked.

"Ne."

"Omo, noona, are you japanese?" Chan Sung asked.

"Aniya...I'm Japanese," Mrs Ham answered.

"Ahhhh...kakkoi desu!!!" Jun Su answered. Mrs Ham's eyes lightened up when she heard someone speak Japanese in her house.

"Omo, so you know Japanese too, Jun Su-kun?"

"A little bit."

And Mrs Ham began to narrate to the boys how she came to meet her husband who was in Japan at the time they first met.

 

***

 

The Pig Syndrome began to hit the boys, so they decided to take a nap right after eating. Soyeon decided to go home as she's going to work the night shift later. She took the boys with them without letting them say goodbye to the guys. Eun Jung and Mrs Ham were washing the dishes when she suddenly mentioned that she'll be taking Taecyeon with her.

"Andwe...You know what will happen once okaasan sees him!"

"I promised Taecyeon I'll be taking him there."

Mrs Ham became silent. "I just hope you won't regret your decision."

 

***

Eun Jung took her father's pick up truck again as she set out for a secluded part of the town. Taecyeon noticed that Eun Jung had been so silent.

"Are you okay, noona."

"Ne." was her laconic reply. Streams of thoughts were rushing across her mind on how to introduce Taecyeon to her obaasan. She was lost in thought she didn't see a cow crossing the road. Luckily, she was able to hit the brakes just an inch from where the cow is. But the animal just continued walking.

"You are not okay, noona. You almost caused an accident there."

"Mi..mianhe..."

When they finally reached a small house, they were greeted by the care taker.

"Annyeong hasaeyo, Park Jin Kyung-ssi."

"Oh..annyeong, Eun Jung-ah..your halmeoni is very ill today. She doesn't want to eat. Even the fish you sent last time, she just threw it on the floor."

Eun Jung nodded. Just then, Jin Kyung-ssi saw Taecyeon.

"Omo, is he that boy from Seoul?"

"Ne."

"Annyeong hasaeyo," Taecyeon greeted.

"Well, it's a good thing you brought someone with you. Michiko-san would be very happy to see you with a companion. She's getting lonlier every day."

And so, both visitors went to the room where obaasan was. Eun Jung opened the door. When she saw her obaasan, she immediately hugged her.

"Konichiwa, Obaasan. Ogenki desu ka?"

The old woman looked at her grand daughter misty-eyed. She touched her face and combed her hair. Eun Jung felt hurt to see that her beloved grandmother is wilting away slowly. 

"Genki desu..."

"I missed you Obaasan..."

"What is your name, little girl?"

Eun Jung knew that her obaasan had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease a few years back. And it hurt her to be asked the same questions everytime she visits.

"I'm Eun Jung, obaasan...Eun Jung..."

The old woman examined her granddaughter's face once again. She saw tears streaming down Eun Jung's face as she wiped it with her thumb. Meanwhile, Taecyeon was observing the drama. He saw that Eun Jung really loved her grandmother for her to visti every week. Suddenly, when the old woman saw him with shock in her eyes, he was shocked himself. He was all the more shocked when she called him.

"Juntaro?"

"M..mwoh?"

Eun Jung forgot that Taecyeon was with her. Suddenly, she remembered what her mother had forbidden her to do: not to bring Taecyeon with her.

"Juntaro, is that you my son?"

Taecyeon blinked in confusion. He stood there like a statue and continued to look at Michiko-san.

"Obaasan, this is Taecyeon. He's not Juntaro," Eun Jung explained. She felt like tears were starting to come down from her eyes again. ANd her chest tightened to think that Taecyeon resembled Juntaro in some aspects of his face. How could she not realize that? 

"NO! It's Juntaro, and he came back to visit me!" the old woman insisted. And so, Taecyeon went to her and knelt in front of the bed. He held obaasan's hand. The old woman was shocked because Juntaro used to hold her hands too the way Taecyeon held hers now.

"Mianhamnida, Halmeoni, but I'm not Juntaro. My name is Ok Taecyeon. I'm so sorry to disturb your peace today."

The old woman began to cry as she touched Taecyeon's face.

"Juntaro...I missed you so much..why did you leave me? Was I a bad mother? Why, Juntaro, why?"

Eun Jung saw that Taecyeon was tongue-tied. So she answered for him. 

"Obaasan, Juntaro has long been dead. He is not Juntaro. He is Taecyeon."

And the old lady didnt' argue anymore. Deep in her heart, she knew that Juntaro was still alive. But he had been dead for five years.

***

"Noona, who is Juntaro?" Taecyeon managed to ask after they visited Michiko-san.

Eun Jung looked at her car keys as she sorted out how she'll reveal to Taecyeon who Juntaro was, noting to leave some of the forbidden information out of the conversation. Yet, she felt like she wanted to explode. It's been five years already, yet, the pain still remained. Eun Jung did all she could to forget Juntaro, yet, she still cannot let him go.

"Juntaro is...obaasan's adopted son, hence legally my uncle. But we were of the same age, and we grew up together. We keep on fighting though because obaasan loves him more than she loved me. Obaasan is the reason why I'm strict with all of you. She had been my most adored teacher."

And Eun Jung narrated to Taecyeon all she had to undergo just to defeat Juntaro. That led her to becoming the best in her class till she graduated. She even told him of the accident that claimed Juntaro's life. When Taecyeon heard about it, he shook his head.

"I..I'm so sorry to hear that."

"It's been five years already. After that incident, nothing was the same anymore...and Obaasan began to fall into a depression...till she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. It hurts to see her this way."

"Does Auntie and Uncle visit her too?"

"Ne, once a month. Even with my busy life, I still make it a point to visit her every Sunday. I owed her everything for what I am now." Eun Jung said as she went inside the pick-up. Taecyeon took a glimpse of the house, wondering whether Eun Jung had truthfully told him everything about Juntaro. It's as if she was hiding something from him.