Heavy-Hearted

Precious Three Months

Jo Kwon was snoring lightly as Jin Woon was still lying awake on his bed. The previous week had been so tiring he wanted to sleep hard tonight and tomorrow. But as sleep was elusive, he began to think of the things that had happened. The 2AM guys had a TV show in MNet, then they went to KBS to do some shows, then practice dancing with Miss A for a concert in Busan. Then they had a photoshoot with IU, Seo Hyun, Hyorin and Nicole. Suddenly, it was as if a stone had hit his head: the photoshoot...Jiyeon. A pang of guilt hit Jin Woon as he took his cellphone. Rising up from bed, he went to the balcony to see the city lights, contemplating how he'll explain to Jiyeon and how he should talk to her.

 

***

 

Jiyeon was arranging her things for the next day when her phone rang. She was busy doing so she didn't look who called her.

"Yeoboseyo?"

Silence.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"A...annyeong hasaeyo..Jiyeon.."

Jiyeon was quite irritated because the caller didn't speak right away, and she was still getting her uniform ready. But she still opted to be polite.

"Annyeong hasaeyo. May I know who's calling please?"

"This is Jung Jin Woon.."

Jiyeon stopped what she was doing and stood near her cabinet, stupefied. Jung Jin Woon...Jin Woon Oppa?

"Jiyeon,are you still there?"

"N..ne.."

Jin Woon, meanwhile was wiping his brow. He didn't know what to say to her. He himself was tonguetied and was feeling so stupid.

"Di..did you get my number?"

"I already erased it from my phone and I threw the paper you gave me." Was Jiyeon's hard answer. But deep inside, she was bleeding and she wanted to cry.

"Jeo..jeongmal? O...Mianhe...I...I really didn't mean to..I'm sorry I didn't recongize it was you. It was stupid of me not to ask for your number too. I've known a lot of Jiyeons too, but you were the only one who called me..mianhe..."

Jiyeon guessed that Jin Woon was now flustered embarrassed. She guessed that he was feeling sorry for not remembering a fan, and she felt guilty because she made a star feel guilty for not remembering her. Now that she told him she threw his number, she thought she was going crazy.

"Ahhh...arrasseo...mianhamnida, Oppa. I guess I was just too insenstive to you too. It was foolish of me not to introduce myself properly. I forgot you have a lot of fan girls who try to give you something everyday."

"Well...I'm really, sorry, I really am." Jiyeon recognized the sincerity in Jin Woon's voice. "I guess i have short term memory. Seulong Hyung told me that he thought he saw you last week at the photoshoot, so I tried looking for you, but you were gone. Well...Jiyeon...can I ask you a favor?"

"N..ne.."

"Can you save my number? I saved yours already. I can't promise I'll call everyday, but...I'm...well..."

Jiyeon waited for Jin Woon to answer. She continued doing her task.

"Are you, by chance, in the middle of something?" Jin Woon asked.

"Ne. I'm arranging my things for school tomorrow. I still have to continue studying for Eun Jung-Seonsaengnim's test and I can't risk to fail."

"Arrasseo...Mianhe...I must be disturbing you. I felt guilty dragging both of us to this awkward situation."

"Don't be, Oppa. I'm just a fan, you're a famous star. Stars are not expected to cater all that fans wish, for you are human too."

"Well...Jiyeon...uhmmm..."

Jiyeon sighed. She wanted to study, yet, Jin Woon was dragging her. 

"Oppa, I'm sorry to say, this, but can you hurry? I may sound rude, but I really need to study."

"Ahhh...mainhe, Jiyeon...well...can I talk to you again tomorrow evening?"

Jiyeon looked at her calendar. "I'm sorry, but tomorrow evening, I won't be here. I'll be attending some events in Busan with some of my classmates and Eun Jung-Ssaem. The event won't end till probably late evening. So, I don't think I'll be able to talk with you."

Jin Woon's heart sank. Jiyeon is indeed a very busy schoolgirl. He imagined himself being her classmate. He reckoned she's one who's part of the top 30 in the batch.

"Okay...I'm so sorry, Jiyeon. I hope we could see each other again. I wanted to see you again, really...Take care and I hope you'll get a high score in Eun Jung Noona's exam tomorrow. Bye." Jin Woon said as he hang up the phone. his heart heavy. He wasn't supposed to feel obliged to do anything for a fan. But that was Jiyeon...and he just blew it away.

Jiyeon, as soon as she dropped the call, blinked her eyes as she felt like fighting back tears. Jin Woon had sincerely wished her well for her exams, and she didn't even give him a chance to say anything more. She knew her studies meant so much to her, but Jin Woon was that little breath of fresh air from her hectic schedule, and she just disregarded him. Wiping a tear from her eyes, she got her cellphone again and saved Jin Woon's number.