A Not So Sweet Story

GOOD vs. BAD (Formerly known as L FOR LOV3) -SEMI HIATUS-

It was very sunny today. I walked along the streets and took the subway to the town library. According to plan, Kyungsoo will be there around at 9AM. Unfortunately, this time without Hyelin. I miss her, I’m starting to treat her like my own sister.

It took me about 20 minutes to arrive. I took a glimpse at my wristwatch. 9.10AM, I’m 10 minutes late. I rushed out of the bus, hoping Kyungsoo wouldn’t mind my late arrival. I entered the library and went passed by the security guards who were guarding in front of the library. I eyed all the seats in the library. Some of them were taken while some of them weren’t touched. And this one seat near the window pane had a person sitting on it named Do Kyungsoo.

I sneaked up from behind. “Boo!” I surprised him by slightly patting him on the shoulders. “AHH!” Kyungsoo shrieked. As a consequence, one of the librarians popped her head out from one of the wooden shelves and laid a finger on her lips signalling us to be quiet. Well, of course, this is a ‘library’ after all. We both nodded and the woman walked away while shaking her head from side to side.

I smiled at Kyungsoo who was looking at me. “What are you reading?” I asked. “Uh… Sherlock Holmes” he said while sinking into his seat and sealing his lips into a thin line. “Oh really? Then why do I see a picture of a cake on the front cover?” I teased. I playfully snatched the book from Kyungsoo.

“The World’s Best 100 Desserts in the World?” I read the title out loud. “Urmmm…” Kyungsoo’s face became pink. “You bake?” I closed the book and gave a questioning look at Kyungsoo. He shyly nodded. “Well, not exactly bake but I do like to cook” he stated.

“Cool~” I handed the book back to Kyungsoo. “Cool?” Kyungsoo seemed kind of surprised. “Yeah, cool. My dad was a chef too” I explained. Was? Did he lose his job?” Kyungsoo asked in shock. “Urm, not exactly” I tried to hold my breath and closed my eyes. 'Come on, we better get started!” I said cheerfully, trying to change the subject.

After a few hours of studying, reading and chatting, Kyungsoo and I decided to walk around town. While we were walking on the sidewalk, water droplets started to fall from the sky. Kyungsoo immediately covered and lead me under a tent. “It’s raining” he said while wiping his slightly wet hair. We both looked at the surrounding. Even though it was raining, the streets were still flooded with people. Suddenly, I had the urge to eat something and spotted a restaurant across the street. I told Kyungsoo and we both went running towards the entrance.

“We’ll have regular bibimbap and two plates of kimchi mandu please. And a coke too” Kyungsoo ordered the waiter. The waiter nodded and looked at me, “And what would you like to drink?” he questioned. “I’ll just have strawberry milk” I said. The waiter took note of our orders and went into the kitchen. While I was slurping my way into my glass that was currently 50% filled with strawberry milk, Kyungsoo lift his head up to face me.

“Urmm…you know, all this while, you’ve never talked to me about your parents” Kyungsoo looked at me. I looked at him, speechless. He was still waiting for an answer. As far as I could remember, he was right. There was still a secret I was keeping from him besides me living in you-know-who’s house. But should I? Should I tell him? I’ve never told anyone about this except for myself, well maybe I’ve told it to a brick wall or so but I’m sure that doesn’t count. I felt like a ton of stones were weighing on my broad shoulders. It’s the feeling of guilt.

I took a deep breath, and released carbon dioxide into the air. “Urm, well, my parents are sort of…gone” I didn’t want to say they’re dead. Cause in my world, they haven’t. They haven’t left me yet, at least not now. They’re just in another dimension, waiting for me.

“Gone?” Kyungsoo wondered what I meant. “Let me tell you a bitter story” I let go of my drink and placed it on the side of the table. Kyungsoo just stared at me. I closed my eyes to stop thinking and calm myself down.

“There was this one day, where everything started. I was happily hanging out at some shopping complex with some of my closest friends. Then, while we were making fun of each other. I had received a call. A call from the hospital regarding my parents and my brother. They told me to go straight away there. So I left my friends and went off. By the time I got there, I was out of breath. Running through the dark hallways where patients were being held. I got lost. I asked the nurses for direction and I ended up opening the doors of the Emergency Room. I searched and searched. No sign of them. Suddenly when I got to the end of the room, a doctor approached me. He held my cold shoulders and hugged me. I asked what was wrong but he didn’t answer. He led me to one closed section, and told me to enter. Once I opened the doors, it was too late. They were gone. I was late. They died just a few minutes before I arrived. If I haven’t been so stupid to not ask for directions in the first place, I would’ve have time to talk to them for the last time. I was just too stupid.” I grew silent. I saw my reflection on the plate that was lying on the table, I was tearing up. I sort of looked pathetic.

I wiped my tears off my face and stared at the window pane. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know” Kyungsoo looked down as if he felt guilty. “It’s okay. You’re my friend, you have the right to know” I smiled. Kyungsoo smiled and we both continued to eat up our food.

Once we finished eating, we head out to the streets as the rain had gone away. Passing by the crowd wasn’t easy. It’s like getting sandwiched by tons of people while walking. But luckily, the crowd one by one had gone their separate ways. The street was clear and now, there were only ajummas and ajusshis by the sidewalk. We went pass a few stores but none of them were eye-catching.

Then there was this one shop, a shop that had Super Junior’s latest poster hanging up from one of the poles. I told Kyungsoo and in a blink of an eye, I was already searching through the racks that were stuffed with albums and DVDs. While I was searching through the ‘S’ section, I spotted it. Super Junior’s latest album – y, Free & Single! It was on sale! Oh, how it made my day.

I went up to the counter and paid for it. I was about to exit the store when suddenly I noticed that Kyungsoo wasn’t beside me. Where is he? I head back and searched through the enormous racks, found him! He was in the drama section, looking at… Lee Min Jung? I strode over. “What are you looking at?” I asked. Kyungsoo looked at me pointed his index finger towards a very pretty actress named Lee Min Jung.

“You like her?” I smiled. He swing his head side to side which meant no. “My friend, Joonmyun told me that she resembles me a lot” Kyungsoo explained. “Ahh, that’s why. Well, she does look like you with all the eyes and stuff!” I laughed. “My eyes?” Kyungsoo asked, he seemed confused. “Mhm. Your eyes. You both have really beautiful and huge eyes. As if you were related to each other” I commented. “We do?” Kyungsoo asked in a shocking tone. “I can see that no one has ever told you this before. Am I right?” I asked. “Well, not exactly… but is it really that big?” Kyungsoo looked at his reflection. “No worries, they look good on you. Trust me” I patted his back.

Kyungsoo followed me out the door and continued walking along the pathway. On our way to the subway, we passed by a clothes store. “WAAAAAAHHHHHHH!” I walked nearer to the window and started to spazz. “It’s so pretty~” I looked at the pretty dress the mannequin was displaying. “Do you like it?” Kyungsoo questioned. “It’s the most perfect dress I have ever seen” I nodded.

“We should go inside then” he pushed the glass door and insisted me to enter. “Uh…thanks” I uttered. I asked the salesperson for the dress so she went and told the manager. Soon, she handed me the dress and told me that the fitting room was at the back section of the store. I went as told and tried on the dress. I looked at my reflection, it’s been bonks since I’ve worn a dress this beautiful. I swayed my dress gracefully.

“You look…beautiful” I turned my head around and saw Kyungsoo standing behind me. “…thanks” I thanked. “The dress fits you really well” Kyungsoo praised once more. I couldn’t help but notice how I blushed so hard.

“Are you going to buy it?” he took a few steps forward. “Urm…” I took a sneak pick at the price tag. Woah. It’s definitely not what I had thought. “It’s too expensive. And I’m pretty much sure that I don’t own that much money” I said. “Oh” Kyungsoo looked at me, not knowing what to say.

“Hey look, it’s 5PM. We should get going now” I smiled at the salesperson as she bowed and greeted us. I exited the store. At least I got to wear the dress. Even if meant just for a few minutes. Eventually, Kyungsoo and I both took a bus and parted in front of my house.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Hey. I got hit by my maths teacher with a giant compass cause I said that she was 41 years old. And she was actually 31. lol. 41 years old isn't that old to me...or is it? Cause my mum's older. Either way, sorry if this chapter kind of bored you. My mind was lacking of ideas. But please look forward towards chapter 18! ^^