Xiumin - Bun Shop

EXO One-shots

I smiled as I put another tray of food on a table with some customers. They thanked me and I walked back into the kitchen and out to the window we had at the side of the kitchen for people who would want to order or food as take-away.

I opened the window to see our most frequent customer. I smiled at him and he smiled back while rubbing his hands together. He would always come to our shop around lunch to order buns and came even in pouring rain.

“The usual?” I asked and his smile became just a little bit wider. Then he nodded and I closed the window to prevent cold January air to come inside and I turned to the steamer and opened it. I took a new box and opened it, placing it on the counter top.

This man always ordered the same food at our place. I know his name is Kim Minseok, apparently not Chinese even thou he probably lives here. He has round and cute cheeks, making him look younger than what he is and his eyes are always happy. He always smiles when coming and always hands me excess tip even thou I don’t need it.

I place the four steamed buns in the box and close it tightly before walking over to the window and open it again.

“That’d be 5 000 won” I said and smiled. He smiled as he handed me 5 000 won before then handing me an excess 1 000 won. I looked at him, trying to hand I back but he shook his head.

“Keep it, it’s for you” he said and walked away. I sighed and shook my head. I put the money in my pocket and smiling a bit. He always did that and almost every day.

What I liked about Minseok was how gentle he always was. He always treated me nicely and would always smile. That smile always had my heart skip a beat. His round cheeks and fair skin reminded me of steamed buns.

I did not know him really. The most we have spoken is when he orders and I give him his order, otherwise we’ve never really spoken. 

An hour later I sat on a small chair at the backdoor of the shop with my friend Lia. She had lightened her cigarette and was smoking at as she asked me about Minseok.

“Did he come today again?” she asked and I nodded. “How much did he give you this time?” I took out the 1 000 won from my pocket and she nodded. She didn’t mind it and I shoved it back into my pocket.

“Do you still like him?” she asked and I blushed.

“I don’t know. I mean, sure he’s cute. But what if he already has a girlfriend?”

“It’s always worth a shot”

I nodded before we walked inside again.

The following day I at the window again just as Minseok came. I smiled and opened the window.

“The usual” he said and smiled as I nodded. I had decided to see if he was interested or not. I had prepared a short note to him which I would give to him along with the buns.

I packed them in a box as usual and walked over to the window again. He handed me the money, this time a 10 000 won bill and I gave 5 000 back to him and slipped the note in between the notes.  I gave him the money which he put down in his wallet.

I then handed him the box with the buns and we said good bye.

Now the waiting began, would he find the note? That was the biggest question.

A few hours later I was putting on my coat in the changing room when my phone rang and I grabbed it. I did not recognize the number but still answered it.

“Yoboseyo?” I asked and pulled on my shoes and grabbed my bag.

Hi, it’s Minseok, is this Ming who works at the shop where I always buy buns?”

I froze with my hand on the handle as I was just about to exit, he had found my number!

“Ah, yes. It’s Ming” I said nervously and I opened the backdoor to the shop.

Hi, I found your note in my wallet.”

“…” I continued walking down the alley and came out to the street and walked toward the direction where the entrance of the shop was to from there proceed to the subway.

“Well, anyways, I was wondering. Since it’s evening I was wondering if you’d like to-“ the voice in the phone ended and I took the phone from my ear, looking at it, placing at my ear again before taking it away and shaking it slightly.

“-Go out for dinner” a voice behind me asked. I turned around and saw Minseok stand behind me.

I blushed and placed the phone in my pocket.

“Well?” he asked with that same adorable smile on his lips.

“Sure” I answered and smiled back. He nodded and put an arm around my shoulders and I felt my cheeks heat up as he steered me to his black car that was parked at the curb and he opened the door.

I giggled a little but climbed inside none the less.