Untitled (Prologue)

Living Out a Song

 

“I am so proud of you, Min Yeon! You really believed in yourself,” your mother said while hugging you so tight.

“I can’t believe it mom! I never thought I will win!” You said in reply, tears forming in your eyes.

“The SM Entertainment will be handing it over to SNSD and Super Junior. They will be the ones to perform it and it will be included in their new album. At a very young age, you already composed a song.”

“Mom, I am just worried that it would not be a huge hit. What if people don’t like it? What if something happened to Super Junior and SNSD because of that song? What if - ”, she cut you off.

“Min Yeon, stop your what ifs again! At the beginning of the contest, you were just like this, thinking negative results when you haven’t done anything yet. But now, here you are, holding a trophy!” your mother said, hugging you again and this time you really can’t breathe.

The sun was setting down when the contest had finished. Both you and your mother got in the car and left. It was a triumphant moment for both of you to reminisce but you know you have to break it.

“Mom, what was dad like? I mean, did he compose, too? ” you asked, waiting for a reply.

“No, silly. He is a singer. That’s how we met. I composed his songs and he sings them. He really is a good singer, and that’s what I liked about him the most.” You saw your mother’s eyes forming water but she managed to hide it. “That’s why Min Yeon, you have to - ”

………………………………………………………………………

“Oh, you’re awake! Good morning!” You don’t recognize the voice and your vision is still blurry. You tried to get up but you felt excruciating pain on your whole body. You screamed.

“Miss, please stop moving. Just lie still.” She ordered in a serious but calm voice. “Who are you? Where am I? What happened? Where is my mom?” you asked, becoming worried. “You are in a hospital, my dear, and I am your private nurse. You were in a car accident. But I think it would be best if they answer your last question. You may come in now.” She looked at the door and signaled that they could come in, sir. You are now totally worried. You don’t have any relatives, as far as you knew, but who are these people who will be coming in? You don’t know anything and that is making you anxious and nervous because you don’t know if your mother is still…alive.

The first one to come in was an old man, in his early ___, your grandfather maybe? He just stared at you so you broke the silence. “Um, I’m sorry but do I know you?” ”Oh, I am sorry. I am Lee Soo Man, your mother’s boss and close friend.

 ”Where is she? I want to see her…”

“I am afraid that - ”, just then, the door opened and more people came in. You count them…12 handsome males.  Now you are wondering if they are your brothers. If they are, then you are an orphan because they are really handsome.

“What is this? Who are they? What is happening?” you don’t know why you said these things but you know they are here because something is either definitely wrong. As you think harder, your head hurts. You put your hands on your head as you get dizzy.

“You see, Min Yeon, you were in a coma for three weeks. You were in a car accident caused by a drunk driver. He came from the left side of the car so…”

“My mom…m-my mom is alright, i-isnt she? She would have s-survived it. She’s strong and…she would not leave me!”

“Your mother died yesterday. She protected you from the crash. If it weren’t for her, you both would have died. But don’t worry - ”

“Don’t worry?! Where is she? I want to see her!” you were starting to get off from the bed, taking off the dextrose when someone from the crowd stopped you. You don’t know who he is, but he definitely is handsome.

“I’ll take her.” He said to his boss. Mr. Lee agreed.

“We’ll come with you.” A group of men said. You were looking at their faces and you don’t recognize them. They look like celebrities…maybe they are. You were wondering why they are good to you as the handsome male that stopped you push the wheelchair.

“Uhm…why are all the people here looking at us? Are you some kind of celebrities?

“Its because we are”, said a handsome male wearing shades, but somehow he looks like a girl.

“Really? Why don’t I recognize all of you?”, as you think harder, your head hurts again.

“Are you okay? You don’t really know us?”, said a male with a killer smile.

“It appears I hit my head really hard. Are all of you my brothers or family in any way?”

“Uhm no…but we are ready to welcome you as one. Well, we are Super Junior.”

“Super- what? Is that some kind of nickname or fraternity?”

The male, who appeared to be the leader and eldest, laughed.”No, that is our group. We are thirteen, all in all. I am Leeteuk, the leader. This one is Heechul, the one who makes nicknames and cross-dresses. That one will be Hangeng, our Chinese member. That small one would be Yesung, the one who has the most powerful voice and has a pet turtle. That is Kangin, our biggest bully. That another big one is Shindong and he has the largest fan club than most of us. This is Sungmin, our aegyo king. This one is Eunhyuk, our dancing machine. Our talented fishy will be Donghae. Our most religious hunk is Siwon. This another small one is Ryewook, who has the highest voice and our fake magnae. This one who has the killer smile is Kibum. Last and not the least, Kyuhyun, our magnae.”

You were astounded at how many they were. You looked for someone as they accompany you down the morgue. “He isn’t here? Where is he?”

“Well-uhm-He is also here…maybe he went somewhere.  Don’t mind him, he usually wants to be alone.”

As the trip to the morgue became fun because of Super Junior, you suddenly remembered your mom.

“Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate it. I will be just going on my own here.” You reached for the door and managed to push the wheelchair by yourself. There is an attendant waiting and he already knows who you were looking for. He stands beside a body, covered in white sheet, and then he left.

You stared at the body for minutes and you are starting to cry again. “Why? Why did you left me? What is the purpose of living here if I don’t have you? You could have just made the accident take us both. You know I am not strong as you are, as independent as you are. I need you, I always needed you.” You feel so much pain and anger, anger at yourself, your mom, that driver whoever he is, at everybody. You feel that the world had betrayed you, taking what matters to you most.

You gathered the courage to pull the sheet and see her face. The moment you see her face, rage faded away.  You could see that her face is in peace, no wrinkles, no stress, no problems. You also noticed at how young your mother is, to have a child and raise you up. You then realized that she is in a better place now, and you promised her that you would be with her soon. :)