Chapter 9

The Story of The First Guard

Joshua sat there for a few hours, just happy to finally get some time alone. He wondered where Hoshi was, praying that he was okay. Chan wouldn't forgive him if Hoshi was found dead. He soon passed out, the adrenaline rush fading and exhaustion claiming him.

Joshua jolted awake, jumping and looking around. "Who's there?" He shouted. "What are you doing out in the woods?" Asked Hyuk as he walked over. "I was being chased," said Joshua as he relaxed slightly. "I see," said Hyuk. "You're far from N's place," he said. "I got word of where my friends would be," said Joshua as he shrugged. "Ah, that makes sense," said Hyuk.

"What brings you out here?" Asked Joshua. "I was hunting," said Hyuk as he held up some captured rabbits. "I promised N some dinner so," he said, shrugging. "I see," said Joshua. "Are you in a hurry to head back?" He asked. "Not really, what's up?" Asked Hyuk. "I was injured by some tracker with some wolf 'shifters, can you take a look at my shoulder?" Asked Joshua.

"Ah, sure," said Hyuk as he went to look at Joshua's shoulder, healing it after examining it. "So you froze the wound closed?" He asked. "I can't use my fire for some reason," said Joshua as he shrugged his shoulders, feeling no pain. "You can use magic?" Asked Hyuk. Joshua nodded. "I'm not like you, I have an orb," he said, summoning it for Hyuk to see. "Ah, just like an old friend of mine," said Hyuk.

"Ah," Joshua said suddenly. "Have you seen my dog?" He asked. "You two got separated?" Asked Hyuk. Joshua nodded. "I don't know where he went, we lost each other after that tracker started hunting us down," he said. "I haven't seen him," said Hyuk. "But I'm sure he probably went back to N's house to look for you," he said. Joshua hummed.

"Come on," said Hyuk. "Let's head back to N's house," he said. "Are you sure?" Asked Joshua. "I'm sure we'll find your friends soon," said Hyuk. "It's dangerous over here, you're almost across the borders," he said. "Ah," said Joshua. "Let's head back then," he said. Hyuk nodded and led the way.

 

~



Chan jumped up when he saw Hoshi being brought over. "Hoshi...?" He asked, surprised. "Pup got separated," said N as he pet the dog on the head. Mingyu glanced at Hoshi before shaking his head ever so slightly, an action not gone unnoticed by Chan.

"C-Can I see him?" Asked Chan, sounding desperate to be near his dog again. N shrugged and nodded, moving to open the cell door. Chan crawled over to the dog, bringing Hoshi into a hug. "I'm sorry Hoshi I'm sorry," he whimpered out as he pet the dog.

"You really care for him huh?" Asked N. "Hoshi was a gift," mumbled Chan. "I see," said N. "Sorry to cut your reunion short but, I have visitors," he said, tugging on Hoshi's leash to lead him away. Chan protested as he didn't want to let go of his dog. "Don't do anything to him please," he whimpered out. "I won't, even Brian and the others don't want to hurt him," said N. Chan, after being reassured that the dog would be fine went back to the cell, and N closed and locked the door. He left, heading upstairs with Hoshi to greet Hyuk and Joshua.

 

~



"See, I told you he'd be here," said Hyuk as N unclipped the leash from Hoshi. "Oh, you're safe!" Said Joshua as he ran over to Hoshi and checked on him to make sure he was unharmed. "What brings you here Hyuk?" Asked N. "I promised dinner," said Hyuk as he held up some rabbits. "Oh, let me get started on that then!" Said N as he took the rabbits from Hyuk and went to the kitchen to start on dinner.

After Joshua finished making sure that Hoshi was unharmed he headed into the kitchen with Hoshi and got Hoshi some water. "Any luck on finding your friends?" Asked N. "No," Joshua said, sighing. "I wish I was able to find them but I was being chased by some tracker on top of a wolf 'shifter," he said. "Hm," said N. "What did he look like?" Asked Hyuk. "I couldn't get a good look," said Joshua as he scratched the back of his head. "But I'm okay now at least," he said. N nodded.

"Ah, do you have an extra shirt?" Asked Joshua. "Mine got ruined as you can see," he said, motioning to his shoulder. "What happened?" Asked N. "Said wolf 'shifters attacked me," said Joshua. "I see," said N. "Hyuk," he said. "Yeah yeah," said Hyuk as he went to get a spare shirt. "Here," said Hyuk as he came back with a spare set of clothes. "Bathroom's over there," he said, pointing.

Joshua nodded and went to shower and freshen up, examining his shoulder for any lasting external scarring. When he found none he took a shower and changed clothes before leaving the bathroom feeling refreshed.

"Doing alright?" Asked N. Joshua nodded. "Yeah," he said. "Good, you seem more relaxed now," said N. "Dinner should be ready in a bit," he said. Joshua nodded and sat down at the table.

 

~



"They chopped your finger off huh?" Asked Hyuk as he healed Sungcheol's finger. "Mm," said Sungcheol as he refused to look at Hyuk. "Hey, no worries," said Hyuk. "You'll be leaving soon, I promise," he said. "Our work here is done for the most part," he said.

"How can you be sure of that?" Asked Sungcheol. "Well," said Hyuk. "Jeonghan finally broke, according to Brian," he said, moving away. "We're sending Joshua on one last wild goose chase and then you're free to go," he said. "How can we trust you?" Asked Chan. "Ask your 'shifter friend," said Hyuk before he left to join Joshua and N for dinner.

Sungcheol and Chan turn to Mingyu who raised an eyebrow. "I figured that they knew this whole time," said Mingyu as he held up his freed restraints. "When did you snap the chains?" Asked Sungcheol. "When I was left alone," said Mingyu as he shrugged. "I don't think they'll take them off me but I'm sure they'll come off after I change," he said.

"We won't have anything with us, except maybe our gear," said Chan. "I think the only thing we can't do is tell Joshua what we learned while here," said Mingyu. "He'll break," said Chan. "Maybe he already knows," said Mingyu. "And just isn't telling us," he said. "It's a possibility," said Sungcheol as Jeonghan was led back into the cell.

 

~



Hyuk came into the kitchen just in time for dinner to be finished. "Have some rabbit stew," said N as he put plates on the table. Joshua waited until everyone was sitting down and had their share of food before he started eating.

"Why did you hesitate?" Asked N. "It's out of habit," said Joshua. "I grew up in a poor home so," he said, shrugging. "We didn't have much food despite living on a farm, most of the food we did grow was going towards what little income we could make from it, sometimes we didn't have food to eat," he said. "I see," said N.

"Kid," came Kris's voice, causing Joshua to jump. "What?" Asked Joshua as he blinked. N and Hyuk paused in their eating to look at Joshua. "I know where the others are," said Kris. "Oh," said Joshua as he got up, eating the rest of his food. "I need to go," he said before rushing out the door, calling for Hoshi who immediately ran after him.

N and Hyuk exchanged glances. "Well," said N. "Time to get ready to release the prisoners," he said. Hyuk nodded.