Chapter 23

The Story of The First Guard

When they got to the capitol it was expected that Joshua would be arrested by the guards at the gate. Joshua took it with a grain of salt, while Sungcheol and Minhyuk protested, rather loudly, at the fact that after everything Joshua had done he was still being arrested for betraying the kingdom.

"Let it go," said Joshua, causing Minhyuk and Sungcheol to stop what they were doing. "I don't want you arrested either," he said, closing his eyes before nodding to the guards who handcuffed him. "Joshua," mumbled Sungcheol, sounding defeated. Minhyuk could only whimper in response. "Go and get changed, I'll see you at the palace," said Joshua as he opened his eyes. With that the guard led him away, heading to the palace.

Stripped of all his weapons but his orb Joshua stood before the queen, an air of defiance around him as he stood tall. He kept his expression neutral as Sungcheol and Minhyuk walked into the throne room a few minutes later, with Minhyuk now in human form and dressed while Sungcheol had changed out of his bloody clothes.

"Joshua," said the queen. "Your highness," Joshua bit out as he kept his gaze trained on her. "You defied a direct order, why?" Asked the queen. "If I didn't, we would've been invaded, and we all knew that those two wouldn't have lasted against 5 teleporting wolf shapeshifters and their respective partners," he said. "I simply acted on that," he said.

The queen turned her attention to Sungcheol and Minhyuk. "What do you two think?" She asked. "If Joshua hadn't made the move to come after us, I'm positive that we would've died out there," said Sungcheol. "We would've lost the eastern borders," he said. "If Sungcheol hadn't told me to go find Joshua I would've stayed until my death," said Minhyuk. "But Sungcheol sending me away was enough to unlock a new ability," he said. "So in a way, it worked out in our favor," he said.

"Well," said the queen. "If the rescue had been unsuccessful you would've been killed on the spot," she said. "However you will be exiled from the capitol," she said. Joshua's expression hardened as he gave a stiff nod. "It's better than being executed on the spot I suppose," he nearly spat out as he nodded. "Uncuff him," said the queen. Minhyuk went to do so, giving Joshua a pat on the shoulder before going back to stand beside Sungcheol.

"How long do I have before I need to leave?" Asked Joshua as he rubbed at his sore wrists, his orb summoned at a silent command. "An hour," said the queen. Sungcheol noticed the different orb, his eyebrow raising in question but said nothing. "I shall go then," said Joshua before bowing. "Dismissed," said the queen. Joshua stood before leaving the room, the door closing behind him.

 

~



The first place Joshua went to visit was the hospital, nearly breaking down as he brought Rose into a hug. "I'm sorry Rose," he said, choking down a sob. "I have to leave the capitol," he said, and Rose tightened her hold on him before moving away.

"You succeeded," she said. Joshua nodded. "Take care of our child alright?" He asked. "And the twins too," he said. "If you ever leave, I will come find you," he said. Rose nodded, wiping a stray tear away from Joshua's cheek. "Did you ever find out about Sungjin?" She asked.

"He betrayed the kingdom, for the kingdom," said Joshua. "At least, that's what Chen had told me when I asked," he added. "He killed the king because he was asked to by the queen herself," he said. "I found out before I left the capitol to go rescue Sungcheol," he said.

"You always did follow in his shoes," remarked Rose, earning a snort from Joshua. "Tell the twins I said goodbye okay?" Asked Joshua. "I must go now," he said. Rose nodded, giving Joshua last kiss before he left, heading to the cemetery.

 

~



"Hyung," said Joshua as he stood at Sungjin's gravestone. "I guess I did follow in your footsteps eh?" He asked, a dry chuckle leaving him. "For the longest time, I swore not to do what you did, and here I am in the same situation," he said, holding out his hand as the orb he was using dropped into his hand. "I wanted to wait to give this to Chanyeol, maybe Sungcheol will stop by and give it to him," he said, putting the orb onto a small dip in the stone. "I'm giving my first orb back to you," he said. "Thank you, for giving it to me for my birthday," he said, turning and walking away.

As Joshua approached Linzy's stone Sungcheol had entered the cemetery, going straight to Sungjin's gravestone. "Hey Linzy," said Joshua as he brushed his fingers over her name. "It's my last time here," he said. "I wish I had gotten to know you better, before your death anyway," he said. "Watch over your brother alright?" He asked, hearing footsteps approaching.

"You idiot," said Sungcheol as he punched Joshua in the face, before bringing him into a hug. "I'm going to miss you," he said, sobbing. Joshua hugged him back. "Stay strong for the twins," he said. "Don't let this bring you down, I brought this upon myself," he said, pulling away. Sungcheol nodded, wiping away his tears.

It was like before, when Sungcheol lost Linzy. Joshua had comforted him in the same way, as did Sungjin. Sungcheol became a part of the family, and now he was the only one left since Joshua was leaving.

"Minhyuk's leaving with you," said Sungcheol. "I figured as much," said Joshua as he turned back to Linzy's gravestone. "Keep on going, a new guard will be appointed soon enough I suppose," he said. "Until then, it's all or nothing," said Sungcheol as he nodded. "Good luck Joshua," he said. Joshua nodded, walking away with a wave to Sungcheol.

 

~



Minhyuk stood at the gates in his wolf form, looking expectantly at Joshua, a bag at his feet. "Well," said Joshua as he grinned, putting the bag on his back. "Let's go then eh?" He asked, hopping onto Minhyuk's back. "Let's go home," he said. Minhyuk howled in goodbye before warping away, going north.