Chapter 18

The Story of The First Guard

The rest of the journey east was uneventful, though everyone was curious as to who they would run into when they got there. Joshua was apprehensive, since Kris was being silent. Silence was never a good sign, especially since everyone in the guard had temporary orbs. That meant that there was more to this peace negotiation than everyone thought.

When they got to where they were going to meet the elite guard Joshua was warned that there were 6 people waiting for them. Three pairs waiting for them. That information had everyone on edge. They were outnumbered, and if something went wrong war would be declared.

As they stopped at the meeting spot a group of 6 walked up to them, with three of them being wolf shapeshifters as Minhyuk had said. "You must be the group we'd be meeting," said the leader. "Yes," said Sungcheol. "I'm guessing you're Hui?" He asked.

"You've heard of us then," said Hui as he tilted his head to the side. "Ah, we were given a brief introduction of your unit thanks to Minhyuk here," said Sungcheol. "I was with you guys for a time," said Minhyuk as he scratched the back of his head. "Ah," said Hui. "I think Changgu might remember you," he said. Minhyuk shrugged. "I never had as big of an impact compared to my packmates," he said.

"Well," said Hui. "I'm Hui, this is my shapeshifter companion Hyojong," he said. "Yuto's over on my right with his shapeshifter companion Wooseok, and Kino and his companion Shinwon are on my left," he said. "I'm Sungcheol, this is Joshua, Jeonghan and Chan," said Sungcheol as he introduced everyone. "And of course, you know Minhyuk already," he said.

"I don't like these guys already," said Yuto as he eyed the swords on Jeonghan and Sungcheol's backs. "I'm sorry," said Sungcheol as he eyed Yuto. "Wasn't aware that you were supposed to like me as soon as you got here," he said with a hint of sarcasm. Wooseok growled, taking a step forward. "Back off Wooseok," said Hui. "We're here to keep things peaceful between the kingdoms," he said. "Besides," said Sungcheol. "We haven't crossed the borders yet," he said. "You crossing over would essentially be your kingdom declaring war against ours," he said. "Hui has a point," said Kino.

"Are we going to sit here and negotiate or does your king want us in your kingdom?" Asked Sungcheol. "We're going into the kingdom," said Hui. Sungcheol looked at Joshua who tilted his head to the side. "Wouldn't it be easier if you brought the king to us?" Asked Joshua, suddenly on edge.

"Do not go into the kingdom," Kris said suddenly. "Stall if you need to. You must not go into the kingdom under any circumstances," he said. The command was clear, they couldn't risk going into a kingdom where they didn't know the terrain.

"What's it to you?" Asked Kino as he looked warily at Joshua. "You don't even look like a fighter," he said. "Don't underestimate my abilities Kino," said Joshua as he kept his stance neutral. "We're not moving," he said. "Kino," said Hui. "Go tell Changgu and Yanan to get the king here," he said. "They seem tired from their journey," he said. Shinwon snorts, causing Kino to sigh. "Alright," said Kino, directing Shinwon back towards their capitol. Shinwon leaped forward, teleporting instantly.

"Ah, that's how you guys work," said Joshua as he hummed. "We're just wary I hope you understand," said Sungcheol. "I would be too, if I was dealing with a bunch of teleporting shapeshifters like our group specializes in," said Hui as he hopped off Hyojong's back. Yuto chose to stay on Wooseok's back, but had Wooseok lay down. It looked like there was going to be a standoff, neither side wanting to move from their spot.

Sungcheol sighed. "Let's setup camp and wait then," he said. Everyone went to setup camp, each doing a set of chores before settling down, facing the border between the two kingdoms. Hyojong watched them intently, with Hui going to converse with Yuto for a few minutes. The burning question that had been on everyone's mind was what had happened to N and friends?

Joshua decided to find out, getting up and walking over to the border since he seemed the most harmless. He stayed on his side though, as Hyojong got to his feet, growling at Joshua. "I only have a question," said Joshua as he raised an eyebrow.

"Leave him be," said Hui as he walked over. "What's your question?" He asked. "What happened to N and company?" Asked Joshua. "Ah," said Hui. "Well, your friends are back in your lands apparently," he said. "Wonpil was the only person to head to Bangtan though," he said. "I see," said Joshua.

"N betrayed the kingdom, so he was killed on the spot," said Hui. "Really?" Asked Joshua. "I thought something was up with him," he said. "Oh?" Asked Hui. "I'm sure you've heard about what he and the others did to us," said Joshua. "Not in detail but yes," said Hui.

"What did your king think when something like that came up?" Asked Joshua. "It was the reason your friends were sent back to your kingdom," said Hui. "What they had done was uncalled for," he said. "Holding onto that much anger and taking it out on people who had nothing to do with what had happened is quite stupid to be honest," he said.

"Do you know what happened to Hyuk and Hongbin?" Asked Joshua. "They're still here, Hongbin's tracking skills are needed and Hyuk's a doctor," said Hui as he shrugged. Joshua nodded and walked back over to his camp.

It was a couple hours later when Kino and Shinwon returned, bringing food and supplies to set up camp. It was the first time that Joshua and the others would see the wolf 'shifters in their human forms, taking notice of the activities going on just a few feet away. "They'll be over tomorrow," said Kino as he went to step up to the border. "Fine with us, we're not leaving," said Sungcheol as he nodded. Kino nodded and walked back to his camp.

"This standoff is stupid," muttered Chan. "We can't do very much without directly going across the borders," said Sungcheol. "Kris is hesitant, he doesn't think it will end very well if we went into their kingdom," said Joshua. "Keep your orb hidden," said Sungcheol. "They can already guess what we do since our weapons are in the open," he said. "And they know Minhyuk," he added. Joshua nodded.