Chapter 13

The Story of The First Guard

The rest of the trip to the southern outpost was filled with refugees heading to the capitol, with Joshua giving them encouragement to keep going. Some weren't going to the capitol, but they appreciated the encouragement.

When they got to the southern outpost it was filled with chaos. Everyone was in disarray and Sungcheol quickly brought order to the place and immediately sent orders to those around, sending Chan up to the gates to take guard with Hoshi. Jeonghan and Mingyu would be doing recon while Joshua and Minhyuk went to help others cross over. Sungcheol would stay back and keep an eye on everything while helping out in the outpost. Once Minhyuk was taken off the harness and given some food Joshua headed off with him again. Mingyu and Jeonghan would go after them in an hour. For now they had to rest.

Joshua's job was simple, provide enough distractions to get all of the incoming refugees over the border. Dealing with the enemy was going to prove to be difficult, but they would do what they could to get them over the borders. "Careful Minhyuk," said Joshua as Minhyuk maneuvered through the war zone, following the orb towards the first group of people. Minhyuk growled in response, nodding as they came upon the first group of people.

"Go, you're close to the border now," called Joshua. "I am here to help," he said. The refugees rushed to get passed Joshua as arrows started flying towards them. "Screw this," said Joshua as Minhyuk started backing up slowly, growling at the enemy that was firing arrows at them. "Get me slightly closer yeah?" Asked Joshua. "I need to try something new," he said. Minhyuk continued to growl, moving closer. When they were in range Joshua called upon Kris, the dragon appearing above them and flapping his wings, forcing the arrows back towards the enemy. "Get them Kris!" Shouted Joshua. Kris roared, breathing fire at the enemy.

"Kris will do fine," said Joshua. "Let's get them to the borders," he said. Minhyuk was hesitant, watching as Kris dealt with the enemy. When he was sure Kris was going to be fine Minhyuk headed in the direction the refugees were. After getting them across the borders Joshua had Minhyuk go get some rest, before going with Mingyu and Jeonghan as they headed across to do some recon. Joshua would rest but he needed to help.

"We need to be careful," said Jeonghan. Mingyu hummed in agreement as they went to hide behind a destroyed wall, hearing shouts and screams in pain. "What do you see?" Asked Jeonghan as Joshua furrowed his brows in thought. "Kris says this doesn't look good," said Joshua.

"What do you sense Mingyu?" Asked Jeonghan. Mingyu shook his head. "It's not good," he said. "I want to do something about this but," said Joshua as he hummed in thought. "Rest," said Jeonghan. "We have it covered for now," he said. "Kris will say something to any of us if we get attacked," he said. Joshua hummed, nodding. "For now, wake me up if something goes wrong," he said. Jeonghan nodded. Joshua leaned his head back and closed his eyes. Mingyu would keep watch first, listening to the screams of dying people every couple hours.

Joshua jolted awake in the middle of the night to Kris shouting for him to wake up. It took a second but Joshua was soon awake as he heard footsteps. Mingyu and Jeonghan were awake, about to shake Joshua awake as they also heard footsteps.

"How many are there Kris?" Asked Joshua. "I see a party of 4," said Kris, as Joshua nodded to Mingyu and Jeonghan. "Get ready," said Kris. The footsteps walked closer and Joshua summoned his orb, keeping it just behind his shoulder and out of view. They waited until the footsteps were just behind the wall before making their move. Joshua went first by sending up a flaming tornado to send them flying before the three of them took off.

After a bit they stopped behind another destroyed wall, panting slightly and out of breath. "We're going to need you," said Joshua as he turned to Mingyu. "I know," said Mingyu. "What sort of crazy plan did you come up with this time?" Asked Jeonghan.

"This is one of the reasons why we never share plans with people," said Joshua. "But since you have the temporary orb we'll let you in on the plan," he said. "This only involves us because we can get out," he said. "Now, the best thing we can do right now is wait, but when the time comes the both of us are going to provide a distraction," he said. "I need you to go back to the outpost, we'll make it back," he said.

"Are you crazy?" Asked Jeonghan. "It'll work," said Joshua. "Last time we split up like this we ended up being tortured for days," said Jeonghan. "I'll gladly deal with the torture," said Joshua. "You don't think I feel horrible for what they did?" He asked. "Believe me, if I wasn't as injured as I had been back then I would've gone after you," he said.

"Joshua has a point," said Mingyu. "You have to believe that he'll get us out of this," he said. "But you need to put faith in us, we won't go down without a fight," he said. Jeonghan sighed. "Fine," he said. "But if you're not back at the outpost in a few days I'm coming after you with Minhyuk," he said. "Deal," said Joshua. "Now go," he said. Jeonghan nodded and after making sure the coast was clear he took off, back to the southern outpost.

"Ready?" Asked Joshua as he turned to Mingyu. "Ready," said Mingyu. They jumped out of their hiding spot and right into an oncoming patrol. Joshua then attacked with everything he had, with Mingyu not too far behind him, changing and attacking.

It wasn't long until they were both surrounded however, but Joshua wouldn't let this go without a fight. "Mingyu stay close to me!" Shouted Joshua. Mingyu got back to back with Joshua as Joshua felt the ice at his fingertips. Joshua slammed his hands into the ground and ice spikes popped up all around them, eliminating the enemy in quick succession.

"Go," said Joshua. Mingyu sprinted off once it was clear, and Joshua took a few minutes before he ran off after Mingyu. They quickly dived behind another destroyed wall as arrows clunked into the wall behind them. "Okay, ready?" Asked Joshua. Mingyu nodded. "Okay, go," said Joshua. Mingyu ran forward, with Joshua running close behind him. Kris was gone, but Joshua was sure that if he really needed Kris, Kris would be here.