Chapter 14

The Story of The First Guard

Joshua and Mingyu needed to figure out a plan. A plan to get back to the kingdom. Mingyu was more comfortable in his animal form but they needed to get somewhere to get some clothes.

Joshua wiped his forehead, turning to Mingyu. "We're nowhere near the southern outpost," he said. "But we're closer to no man's land just a few miles from the western side of the kingdom," he said. "If we haul it we'll get there in a few hours," he said. "But I know you don't want to," he said. Mingyu nodded in response. Joshua sighed.

They were suddenly cornered, Joshua and Mingyu backed up against a tree. "Damn," said Joshua. Mingyu whimpered slightly, and their thoughts were similar. They had to find a way out of this.

Suddenly a barrage of arrows shot at the enemy, with Chan shouting for them to run. Joshua and Mingyu ran out of the circle of enemies, going towards Chan. "We need to go!" Shouted Chan who sat on Minhyuk's back with his bow drawn. "They're closing the borders!" He shouted.

"Mingyu," said Joshua. "I need you to go over no man's land," he said. "Can you do that?" He asked. Mingyu nodded. "Go, we'll see you back at home," said Joshua. Mingyu took off, back towards no man's land. Joshua climbed onto Minhyuk's back behind Chan and Minhyuk booked it back towards the southern outpost.

"Why did you send him off to no man's land?" Asked Chan. "Mingyu's not as fast as Minhyuk, he wouldn't be able to keep up," said Joshua. "We'll make it back, and then we'll see him back at the capitol," he said. Chan nodded. "I hope so," he said.

 

~



Mingyu wasn't sure what Joshua was thinking when he made him go towards no man's land. He knew however, that it was a smart idea. He couldn't keep up with Minhyuk's larger build and speed, and he could chance the distraction and try to make it to no man's land.

An arrow lodged itself into his shoulder and Mingyu yowled in pain. He turned towards the offending enemy, growling and baring his teeth. More arrows were launched towards him and Mingyu was forced to try and dodge every single one of them despite how injured he was getting. He made it this far, he had to keep going.

As he managed to make it across though, a well placed arrow lodged itself into his back, forcing him to collapse. Mingyu was exhausted by then, too tired, battered and bleeding heavily to go any farther. He summoned his temporary orb as a last resort, Kris's roar piercing through his foggy mind before he took his last breath.

 

~



"God damn it!" Shouted Joshua as they made it across the borders just as it was declared closed. They weren't anywhere near the southern outpost still, but at least they were in the correct kingdom. "Damn it," he said more quietly, sobbing into Chan's back. "Joshua?" Asked Chan. "What happened?" He asked.

"Mingyu," said Joshua. "Mingyu- he's," he couldn't finish that sentence as Chan caught on. "Oh hell," said Chan as Minhyuk whimpered in response. "Can we just go home?" Asked Joshua after he had calmed down some. "Of course," said Chan. "Let's go home," he said. Minhyuk nodded and started the journey home.

 

~



Mingyu heard a voice, his foggy mind barely registering it as being his older brother Wonwoo. "Mingyu," said Wonwoo. Mingyu opened his eyes, the bright light blinding him for a second. "Wonwoo?" He asked. "The one and only," said Wonwoo as Mingyu's vision cleared, showing a smiling Wonwoo.

"I guess I am dead," said Mingyu as he sat up. "You did fine though, you made me proud," said Wonwoo as he sat beside Mingyu. "I hope so," said Mingyu. "I survived the first change after all," he said. Wonwoo snorts. "Sure," he said, chuckling slightly.

 

~



Joshua was asleep by the time Chan and Minhyuk made it back to the capitol, looking worse for wear. As far as they were aware, Jeonghan and Sungcheol were heading back to the capitol with Hoshi.

Chan had Mnhyuk take them back to his apartment, knowing Joshua didn't want to be alone right now. Mingyu and Joshua were close, the both of them having older brothers. Chan didn't have that luxury, but he did care for Mingyu, the both of them having been roommates.

"Kris," said Chan, spotting Kris nearby. "Can you tell Rose that Joshua's at my place?" He asked. Kris nodded before fading away.

When Minhyuk made it to Chan's apartment building Chan turned and woke up Joshua. "Josh," he said softly. "Come on, we're home," he said. "We're at your place," mumbled Joshua. "Would you rather we go back to your house?" Asked Chan. "No, it's okay," said Joshua. They got off of Minhyuk's back. "Give us a minute," said Chan as he ran inside to grab a change of clothes for Minhyuk. Joshua stayed with Minhyuk.

"We'll go send a report in the morning," said Chan as he came back with a change of clothes. Joshua nodded. Once Minhyuk was back in human form and dressed they headed into the apartment building.

 

~



"Damn it Mingyu," said Sungcheol as he sat at the campfire. "I know," said Jeonghan. "He was supposed to make it," he said. "Everyone was," said Sungcheol as he sighed. Hoshi whimpered in response. "We're almost home Hoshi," said Sungcheol as he fed Hoshi some cooked meat.

"We did all we could," said Jeonghan. "But we need to continue to live for the others," he said. Sungcheol nodded.

 

~



Mingyu looked at his brother. "I guess I never got a door like you huh?" He asked. "Nope," said Wonwoo. "Only because your death was sudden," he said. "Are you ready to go?" He asked. Mingyu nodded, pushing himself to get up. "I guess," he said.

Wonwoo got up, and started walking. "Come on," he said. "Mom and dad wanna see you," he said. Mingyu nodded and followed after Wonwoo.