Chapter 20

The Story of The First Guard

Chan's death was taking some time to sink in for everyone, but as they headed back to the capitol someone from the neighboring kingdom came back. Joshua stopped the others as a wolf suddenly appeared in front of them with someone they hadn't seen before.

"Did we do something wrong?" Asked Sungcheol. "I was asked by the king to go with you, my name is Hongseok," said Hongseok. "This is Jinho," he said. "To let your queen know that the alliance was successful," he added. "Ah, I see," said Sungcheol. "Unfortunately we're going on foot," he said, scratching the back of his head. "That's fine, Jinho's spent the week in wolf form, he's aching to be in human form again," he said, hopping off of Jinho's back. "Go and change then," said Sungcheol. "We'll wait," he said. Jinho nodded and Hongseok threw him some clothes. Jinho grabbed the clothes and went to change and put them on.

"Don't trust them," came Kris's voice, causing Joshua to blink, turning to the others who inclined their heads. "Hongseok's a contract killer, he's here for the queen," said Kris, causing the slightest change in stance in everyone.

"So," said Joshua as he turned to Hongseok. "What was your job back in your kingdom?" He asked. Hongseok hummed. "I'm a medic," he said. Minhyuk shrugged at that. "So I've heard," he said. "What?" Asked Hongseok. "Was never around to see you in action, but Kihyun has," he said. "Ah, him," said Hongseok. "I did learn from him and Hyuk after all," he said, shrugging. "So you're not a fighter then?" Asked Joshua. "I can be, but I prefer a knife when it comes to weapons of combat," said Hongseok as he shrugged.

Joshua's hand instinctively twitched, reaching for the hidden knives under his shirt that hung loosely over his pants, though he hid it by placing a hand on his hip. "Hm, interesting," he said. The gesture didn't go unnoticed by Jeonghan or Sungcheol, but they chose to pretend to not notice what Joshua did. When Jinho came back they all headed back to the capitol.

 

~



"Why call yourself an assassin if you don't carry your knives around?" Asked Joshua as he noticed that Mingyu wasn't carrying his usual weapons as they walked around the capitol, running errands. "I've just had to change more lately," Mingyu said, shrugging. "It's easier if I don't have them on me," he said. "You don't want to lose them?" Asked Joshua. Mingyu nodded. "It was a gift from Wonwoo," he said. Joshua hummed.

"Would you let me use the knives?" Asked Joshua, earning a surprised look from Mingyu. "What?" Asked Mingyu. "I need to work on something close range," explained Joshua. "What if I held onto the knives?" He asked. "I doubt I'll use them in any real combat considering how you guys handle the close range while Chan and I handle long range," he said.

"I guess," said Mingyu. "But, you need to train in the way of the knife before wielding them," he said. "I won't let you down," said Joshua. Mingyu nodded, and they headed off to the training grounds.

It took a few months of intense training, with Joshua getting tips from Mingyu for close range and Chan provided long range advice, providing his own input in throwing knives. Mingyu didn't think it would be appropriate but he knew better than to question Chan when it came to anything long range.

After getting bulls eyes on moving targets Mingyu awarded Joshua with his prized knives. "Take care of them hyung," he said. "I will," said Joshua as he grinned, reaching over and tousling Mingyu's hair. Mingyu moved back, scowling as Chan laughs. "Congrats," said Chan. Joshua laughs, scratching the back of his head in a sheepish manner.

 

~



"Welcome back everyone," said the queen once everyone was standing in the throne room. Joshua fought the urge to throw his knife straight at Hongseok, as Kris was growling the entire time in everyone who had an orb's head. Something was going to happen during this briefing, and that had everyone on edge. Sungcheol gave a detailed account of what happened, with Joshua occasionally putting in his input. There wasn't much they could do until Hongseok tried to do something, and so far Hongseok and Jinho were making no move to do anything.

"Now, who is this?" Asked the queen once Sungcheol was done giving his report. "Well," said Hongseok. "I am Hongseok, and this is Jinho," he said, introducing the both of them. "I was sent by the king to say that the alliance was successful," he said. "I see," said the queen. "Anything else?" She asked. "One," said Hongseok as he flicked his wrist, launching a throwing knife at the queen.

Jeonghan was the first to react, throwing his body as quickly as he could towards the projectile and getting stabbed with it, the impact from the knife embedding deep into his chest. He fell to the ground, coughing up blood as the others quickly jumped into action. Joshua quickly unholstered one of Mingyu's knives and threw it at Hongseok, launching himself at Hongseok with the other knife in his hand.

Jinho was fast, changing and quickly grabbing Hongseok by the shirt before teleporting away with him. "Damn!" Shouted Joshua as he landed, grabbing the dropped knife. "This alliance is over," said Sungcheol as he turned to the queen. "It would seem so," said the queen. Minhyuk had rushed over to Jeonghan to see if he could do anything about his wound as Joshua put the knives back in their holster.

"It's okay," rasped out Jeonghan. "I died for the kingdom... Just as everyone wanted," he coughed. "First Mingyu, then Chan, now me," he spat. "Take care of them Minhyuk, they need you more than you think," he coughed out. "It'll be over soon," said Minhyuk as he looked to the others for help. Joshua and Sungcheol were lost, unsure of what to do.

 

~



Security was tightened on the eastern borders, with Minhyuk going with Sungcheol to make sure that nothing like that would happen again. Joshua was staying at the capitol, only to be a last resort. The enemy still didn't know what Joshua could really do, but Joshua would be the last weapon, holding onto Sungjin's sword that Jeonghan used while Sungcheol held onto Chan's bow.

Jeonghan and Chan's funeral had been short, Joshua being the only one who attended since Sungcheol and Minhyuk were quickly dispatched to the borders. Joshua was barely hanging onto his sanity at that point, the only thing keeping him going was Rose announcing that she was pregnant. It was what had kept Joshua at the capitol, needing to be there for her and the twins.