Chapter 4

The Story of The First Guard

Joshua and Chan were at loss as to what to do. Chen refused to tell them where Mingyu, Jeonghan and Sungcheol were and Kris was silent in Joshua's mind for the first time in years. For now they kept things quiet, not attracting too much attention in case they were attacked again.

"We have to look for them," Chan finally said after days of wondering around the eastern side of the kingdom. "They might already know we're here," he said. "If it is who I think it is I don't think they'll try to do anything to them," he said.

"Somehow I find that hard to believe," said Joshua as he sighed. "What do you suppose we do then? We can't just sit here and do nothing!" Said Chan. "If it is who we think it is then they won't keep them for long," said Joshua. "We'll give them another couple days alright?" He asked. "Fine," said Chan. "But if something happens before then we're going to get them," he said. "Deal," said Joshua.

 

~



"I thought you were dead," said Sungcheol as he stared at Sungjin with wide eyes. "I am dead," said Sungjin as he let out a bitter chuckle. "But apparently I have some unfinished business, so I'm bound to Brian's orb," he said. "Besides," he said, moving forward to stand in front of Sungcheol and lean closer to him. "You don't know the truth," he said. "So I'm going to tell you then I'm going to let you go, got it?" He asked.

"What makes you think we can trust you?" Asked Jeonghan. "Oh, that's easy," said Sungjin as he moved away and turned to look at Jeonghan. "Why don't you ask Joshua when you get set free hm?" He asked. "He knows what happened that night, everyone does," he said. "The king wasn't corrupted, the queen was," he said. "The whole sending me out thing to die? Yeah everyone was supposed to be killed," he said.

"What?" Asked Sungcheol. "You can't be serious?" He asked. "As someone who accepted the mission to kill the king, and then went to die in the civil war, yeah um," Sungjin said, shrugging.

"Where's Dowoon?" Sungcheol asked suddenly. "He's out tracking Joshua and Chan, don't worry he won't do anything," Sungjin said with a smirk. "I'll see you around then, Jae wants his turn," he said before walking out of the room.

 

~



"I think we're being followed," said Joshua as he felt tense. "Hoshi hasn't stopped growling since we left that town," said Chan as he scratched the back of his head. Hoshi stayed by Chan's side, his fur standing on end as he continued to growl lowly. "Hush Hoshi," said Chan, putting a hand on Hoshi's head. "Has Chen said anything?" He asked, turning to Joshua. "No, and Kris is silent as ever," said Joshua.

An arrow shot passed Joshua and Chan, causing them both to duck and dive into cover. "What the hell?" Asked Joshua. "Chan can you see who it is?" He asked. "No," said Chan. "Hoshi get back!" He called for his dog, who snarled at the hidden enemy. "Hoshi!" He called.

"It's been a long time hyung, Dino," called a familiar voice. "No way," said Joshua as he peeked from his spot, looking towards the voice and spotting Dowoon sitting on top of a wolf with his bow drawn. Hoshi was growling, baring his teeth as he stood defiantly in front of the wolf.

"What are you doing here?" Asked Joshua. "Who do you think's been tracking you since you entered this side of the kingdom hm?" Asked Dowoon. "How?" Asked Chan. "I'm surprised you didn't pick up on it," said Dowoon. "I did," said Joshua. "Why do you think I've been so tense the whole time?" He asked. "That would explain why Hoshi's been growling the entire time," said Chan.

"No matter," said Dowoon as he drew back the string on his bow. "It's time to end this," he said. He fired the arrow. "No!" Screamed Chan. Joshua jumped up to stop it somehow, leaping in front of the intended target.

 

~



Jae turned to Brian as he walked in. "I guess that's that," said Brian as he turned to the prisoners. "How are they faring?" He asked. "Mm," said Jae as he turned back to Jeonghan. "They're not fun," he said, getting up and moving away. "Screw you," spat Jeonghan, earning a hard kick to the ribs from Brian. "Shut up you," said Brian.

"So what'd you find out concerning Dowoon and the three wolf 'shifters?" Asked Jae. "It worked," said Brian. "We should be getting Dino pretty soon, when they get back of course," he said. "The hell did you do to them?" Spat Sungcheol. "Nothing too serious," said Brian. "At least, I don't think so," he said, chuckling slightly.

 

~



Joshua struggled to get to his feet after something had slammed into him, sending him away from Hoshi. "The hell?" He asked, spotting another wolf. "Get him Shownu," called Dowoon. A third wolf went straight for Chan, dragging him by the shirt towards Dowoon. "Let me go damn it!" Shouted Chan as he struggled to get out of Shownu's grip on him without causing too much damage to him. "Hoshi! Stay with Joshua okay!" He called, noticing that the dog was unharmed.

Joshua struggled through the pain as he sat up, watching the scene with blurry vision. He couldn't do much else, coughing up some blood as he clutched at his stomach. "I'll be fine Josh!" Was the last thing Joshua heard before he fell back, blacking out immediately.

 

~



Joshua woke when he felt rain fall onto his face, his eyes snapping open as he sat up coughing. Pain erupted from his ribs as he clutched at them, grunting in pain. He heard something whining beside him through the pain, causing Joshua to look to his left and spot Hoshi. "Hoshi," said Joshua as he reached out to pet the dog on the head. "We're okay buddy," he grunted, slowly getting to his feet. Hoshi kept to Joshua's side, keeping him standing.

"That took more out of me than I thought," said Joshua as he slowly walked towards a tree, collapsing against it and sliding to the ground. "We're okay, we're okay," he said, turning to face the area in front of him, leaning back against the tree. "Kris, where the hell are you?" He asked before passing out again. Hoshi could only whimper, and stay true to his master's command about not moving away from Joshua.