Chapter 19

The Story of The First Guard

Joshua was keeping watch when news of Changgu, Yanan and the king's arrival was passed to him. Joshua quickly went to wake up the others, as Hui and Hyojong went to wake up those on their side.

A series of wooshing sounds filled the air as everyone went to stand on their respective sides of the border. A few seconds later a wolf appeared out of thin air, leaping over the border and into the kingdom of Nu'est, causing Sungcheol, Jeonghan and Chan to draw their weapons.

"Don't," said Joshua as he held up a hand. "It seems their king arrived, and missed the landing spot," he said. "Changgu," said Hui. "Why did you have to aim just a bit too far?" He asked. "Sorry," said Changgu as he scratched the back of his head. The wolf that Changgu was sitting on snorts.

"Leave him be," came a new voice behind Changgu. "I calculated that last jump, it was my fault really," said the person. "Ah, sorry your highness," said Hui. "Move back," said Changgu, causing the wolf he was sitting on to leap forward, teleporting instantly and landing on their side before turning back to face Joshua and the others.

"I am Ravi, the king of the kingdom of VIXX," said Ravi as he hopped off the wolf's back. "Sungcheol," said Sungcheol. "I am leader of the guard that answers to no one but the queen," he said.

"Well," said Ravi. "This is how negotiations go in my kingdom," he said. "For an alliance to go through the other kingdom needs to be willing to sacrifice one of their own," he said. It made sense now, why Kris didn't want them to go into the kingdom. If they tried to run someone would die anyway. "I see," said Sungcheol. "And if we refuse?" He asked. "Then the alliance is cut off," said Ravi. "With no repercussions?" Asked Sungcheol. "No," said Ravi. "You haven't stepped into our lands, therefore nothing will happen to the rest of you," he said.

"Nothing would happen to us anyway if we stepped into your lands I assume?" Asked Joshua. "No," said Ravi. "But we would be the ones choosing who would die," he said. "We'll leave you to choose who to bring to their death," he said. Joshua and the others nod before turning and walking a little farther away to talk privately.

"I'll do it," said Jeonghan. "No," said Chan. "I will," he said. "Chan, you're the youngest, you have to stay alive," said Sungcheol. "I won't be alive much longer," said Chan as he shook his head. "Oh," said Joshua. "I think I know why," he said. "What?" Asked Sungcheol.

"I'm sick again," said Chan. "Like before?" Asked Jeonghan. Chan nodded. "I thought we were done with this damn illness," said Joshua as he sighed. "Well," said Chan. "It's back," he said. "It'd be more of a mercy kill at this point," said Joshua. "When did you notice that it came back?" He asked. "Just before we left," said Chan. "That's why you left Hoshi behind?" Asked Joshua. Chan nodded.

"It flared up once before," said Joshua as he looked at Chan. "Back when you guys were being held captive by them," he said. "Hyuk told you?" Asked Chan. "Well, I could sense it coming back even before they captured you," said Joshua.

 

~



Chan woke to pain erupting from his chest as he rushed to get up and stumble into the bathroom, coughing into the sink as blood and mucus splattered the entire sink. He clutched the sink counter, trying to keep his balance as he took deep breaths.

"Chan?" Came Joshua's voice from outside the bathroom. "I-I'm fine," called Chan once he got his breathing under control. He went to wash the blood and mucus off the sink and countertop, splashing water on his face before going to open the door. Joshua stood there, looking concerned as he tilted his head to the side slightly.

"I'm fine, really," said Chan. "Okay," Joshua said after a few minutes, moving away from the door. "We're heading out after breakfast," he said. "Go get ready," he said. Chan nodded and went to get ready.

"It's come back," Kris said suddenly, causing Joshua to blink as he hummed. "I figured," said Joshua. "We haven't had an episode that bad in years," he said. "We'll deal with it," he said. "Hopefully he'll make it this time," he said. "It's small, maybe it won't hit as hard," said Kris. Joshua hummed as he turned, spotting Chan walk out of the bathroom after getting changed. "You good?" He asked. Chan nodded, calling for Hoshi before leaving with Joshua to continue their search for the others.

 

~



"How bad is it do you know?" Asked Jeonghan. "It's not as bad as last time," said Chan. "But I've been feeling weaker lately," he said. "I think," said Joshua. "This would be easier than to let him continue suffering," he said. "I agree," said Sungcheol. "The kingdom comes first," he said.

"I don't like this," said Minhyuk. "But if this illness really did come back I think it's for the best," he said. Jeonghan sighed. "Alright," he said. "This is for the kingdom," he said. With that everyone turned back to the group on the other side of the border, Sungcheol and Chan walking up to the border.

"You've made the decision then?" Asked Ravi. "Yes," said Sungcheol. "I'll send Chan over," he said. "Your only long range fighter?" Asked Ravi. "He's more useful to you than to us," said Sungcheol. "I see," said Ravi. Chan inclined his head. "Come here then," said Ravi. Chan looked over at the others, nodding before taking a step over the border and walking over to Ravi.

"Get him," was Hui's command and Hyojong and Shinwon immediately pounced, changing and attacking Chan. Chan could be heard screaming in pain as the two 'shifters tore into him. "I hope he uses the orb before it's too late," said Joshua. "What happens?" Asked Jeonghan. "It'll put him out of his misery before they do any worse damage," said Joshua.

As if on cue a loud roar was heard as Kris was summoned, sweeping down and slashing at the two 'shifters, shoving them away. Chan was still alive but barely hanging on as the orb faded away. "Don't," said Hui as Hyojong and Shinwon stepped forward.

"We have an orb user amongst the other side," said Hui as he turned back to Joshua and the others. Joshua was holding onto Chan's crossbow, having it slung across his shoulder. "Do it Kris," spat Chan. Kris looked down at Chan before moving his hand down in a way that snapped his neck. Kris let out one last roar before fading away.

"You got your wish," said Joshua. "Are you satisfied?" He asked. "Well, he died on our lands," said Ravi. "Can you give us his pocketwatch before you go?" Asked Jeonghan. "It should be in his pants pocket," he said. Hui went over and searched for it, coming over to the border after finding it. "This?" He asked, holding it out for them to see. "Yes," said Sungcheol as he held out his hand. Hui dropped the pocketwatch into his hand before moving back.

"Consider this alliance formed," said Ravi. "If you need anything, just call on us," he said. Sungcheol nodded, inclining his head in respect. After burning Chan's body Hui and the others left, the 'shifters teleporting away with their respective partners on their backs.

"We'll have time to grieve when we get back," said Sungcheol as he turned to the others. "Let's just pack up and head back," he said. Everyone nodded and went to pack up.