Chapter 21

The Story of The First Guard

Sungcheol and Minhyuk were ready for a war, despite the fact that they were going at this alone. If they lost now, then Joshua would be the last resort. Everyone knew that Joshua being a last resort would be bad. Rose was pregnant, and the twins were still growing up. They didn't need to grow up without a father figure.

"We'll be out of luck if we use the orb too early," said Sungcheol as he had Minhyuk run up and down the eastern border to see where the others were. "But we need to make this work," he said. "If we unleash Kris too early that's it, it's the end," he said. Minhyuk growled in agreement, coming to a stop when he noticed something on the other side of the borders. Sungcheol spotted two wolves, his head tilting to the side. He hesitated at first, but Minhyuk reacted quickly, jumping away as the wolves teleported, appearing in front of them.

"Damn it," said Sungcheol as he held on tight, nearly getting thrown off of Minhyuk's back. "We can't out run them," he said as Minhyuk started backing away, snarling at the two wolves. "This is it then," he said, withdrawing his sword. "I'm sorry Joshua," he said, urging Minhyuk to attack, swinging the sword. They would go down fighting, that was for certain.

 

~



"I can't just sit here," said Joshua as he paced around the throne room. "You have to let me go to him," he said, looking at the queen. "We all know you can't do close range combat," said the queen. "That's beside the point!" Said Joshua. "Rose is fine without me, I know the twins will take care of her," he said. "I have Kris by my side," he said. "And I've trained enough with Mingyu and the others to at least be decent in close range," he said.

"You're willing to betray the kingdom to go rescue your brother in law?" Asked the queen. Joshua's expression hardened. "If it means saving the kingdom, I'd happily do that," he said. "In the end the kingdom comes first, even if I have to defy a direct order," he said. "Go then," said the queen. "But when you return you are labeled as a traitor," she said. "Fine," said Joshua as he left the palace. He went to the stables and saddled up a horse, quickly leaving the capitol with it, bolting towards the eastern borders.

 

~



"Damn you Joshua," said Sungcheol as he clutched at a wound in his side. Minhyuk was down, nearly dead and the fight had thrown Sungcheol off of Minhyuk's back.

Minhyuk refused to use the orb, despite how close to death he was. He had to continue fighting, struggling to get to his feet as he growled at the two wolves before him. He stood in front of Sungcheol, vowing to keep him alive until Joshua showed up.

The wolves leap forward, teleporting and slashing at Minhyuk. Minhyuk howled in pain but tried to fight back. He had to fight back. He needed to fight back, for Sungcheol's sake. Sungcheol needed to stay alive.

Something snapped in Minhyuk, and suddenly he warped forward, slamming into one of the wolves. Sungcheol coughed in surprise, his eyes widening. Minhyuk grabbed the wolf by the neck and slammed him to the ground. The other wolf slammed into Minhyuk, throwing him away from the first wolf. Minhyuk snarled as he turned to the two wolves, baring his teeth in a snarl as he forced himself to get to his feet. He warped forward again, slamming into both wolves and sending them both into trees and knocking them out for now.

Sungcheol coughed up blood as Minhyuk soon ran over to him. "Go," he said. Minhyuk shook his head. "I'll be fine," spat Sungcheol. "Bring the sword over to me," he said. Minhyuk went to do so, bringing it back over to Sungcheol. Sungcheol took off the sword sheathe, taking the sword from Minhyuk and resheathing it. "I won't make it, we know that," he said, his breath hitching slightly as he coughed. "Take the sword, and find Joshua," he said, holding out the sword. Minhyuk whined. "Do it," said Sungcheol. "Before the wolves wake up," he said. "I'll take care of them," he said. Minhyuk was hesitant, but grabbed the sword and turned, warping away and letting Kris lead him to Joshua.

"A shame," said a voice as Yuto walked into view with Hongseok. "He would've made a great soldier," he said. "Screw off," spat Sungcheol. "Minhyuk won't ever go to your side," he said. Hongseok went to heal Wooseok and Jinho, walking back over with them once he was done.

"What should we do with him?" Asked Hongseok. "I dunno," said Yuto. "We could leave him to die," he said. "Hm," said Hongseok. "I have a better idea," he said, smirking.

 

~



The horse Joshua was riding reared up as Minhyuk suddenly appeared. "Whoa there," said Joshua as he got the horse to back away. "Minhyuk," he said. "What happened?" He asked, noticing the sword in Minhyuk's mouth. He got off the horse, letting it gallop off. Taking the sword from Minhyuk, Joshua strapped it to his back in a familiar x pattern and Minhyuk snorts. "Shut it," Joshua said with a snicker. "Let me look at you, then we can go rescue my brother in law okay?" He asked. Minhyuk nodded.

Joshua went to check on Minhyuk to make sure his healing had kicked in before hopping onto his back. "Can you warp to him?" He asked. Minhyuk nodded. "Go then," said Joshua. Minhyuk howled before warping forward with Joshua on his back, heading to Sungcheol's location.

 

~



"You're not going to kill me that easily," spat Sungcheol as Hongseok left another slash on his body. "I'm not trying to," said Hongseok. "Besides, it's funner this way, to let you slowly die while you've been abandoned by your friends," he said with a smirk. Sungcheol snorts. "They haven't abandoned me, Joshua would sooner die than do that," he spat.