Chapter 16

The Story of The First Guard

Jeonghan was in a different situation than the others. Instead of renting his own apartment, he stayed at the dorms near the palace that was reserved for members of the guard. It wasn't like he couldn't afford an apartment, he would just rather spend his money on more important things.

Jeonghan left the dorm buildings with his sword strapped to his back, heading to the palace training grounds meant only for the members of the queen's guard. This was how he dealt with Mingyu's death, spending hours in the training grounds meditating. No one used these training grounds but the queen's guard, so there was a high chance that no one would bother him unless it was really important.

It was how Sungcheol found him, looking worse for wear than he usually was. "Jeonghan," said Sungcheol when he found him. "What's up?" Asked Jeonghan as he didn't bother looking in Sungcheol's direction. "Can you watch the twins today?" Asked Sungcheol. "Rose has been busy, and it's the weekend," he said.

"Need a break from them?" Asked Jeonghan. "Yeah," said Sungcheol. "It's not like I want to be away from them but," he said, scratching the back of his head. "Joshua and I need a break, and no one's available to watch them," he said. "Yeah, I'll keep an eye on them," said Jeonghan. "I know you don't like kids but," said Sungcheol as he scratched the back of his head.

"No worries," said Jeonghan as he got up. "I can keep an eye on the kids for the day," he said. "Stop by Chan's for dinner with the boys alright?" Asked Sungcheol. "Chan's treating us to dinner?" Asked Jeonghan. "Yeah," said Sungcheol. "That's rare," said Jeonghan. "He wanted to get everyone together again, it's been a while since we've done something like that," said Sungcheol. "Right," said Jeonghan.

"Let's go then," said Sungcheol. "Sure," said Jeonghan as he went to grab his sword. He strapped it to his back and followed Sungcheol out of the training grounds, heading back to Sungcheol and Joshua's shared apartment.

When they got there Joshua was arguing rather loudly with Rose in their room. "Ah, that's why," said Jeonghan. Sungcheol scratched the back of his head. "I'll take the twins today," said Jeonghan. Sungcheol nodded and went to get the twins, with Jeonghan leaving with them a few minutes later.

 

~



"I can't believe it," said Joshua after he threw a book at the wall. "I'm sorry, for ranting at you for the passed couple hours," he said, turning to Rose. "It's okay," said Rose. "You needed to rant to someone," she said.

"Well, it sounded like we were having a really loud argument it seems," said Joshua as he chuckled slightly. "At least I didn't end up like Sungjin," he said. "You're right, he'd destroy a training dummy until he was exhausted sometimes," said Rose. "Go and tell Sungcheol you're okay," said Joshua. "I'll clean up here," he said, looking around the messy bedroom. Rose nodded and left the room. Joshua went to clean up.

"What were you two arguing about this time?" Asked Sungcheol. "Nothing," said Rose. "He needed to rant, and it turned into a yelling one sided argument it seemed," she said. "Huh," said Sungcheol. "Are you okay?" He asked. "I'm fine," said Rose. "He didn't hurt me," she said. "Joshua rarely loses his temper," remarked Sungcheol. "He's learned from Sungjin," said Rose. "Mm," said Sungcheol.

"Well," said Rose. "I'm needed at the hospital," she said. "Have fun with the others," she said. Sungcheol nodded. "I will," he said. Rose nodded and left, with Joshua coming out of their room after a few minutes.

"Somehow I knew you'd end up like Sungjin," said Sungcheol as he turned to Joshua. Joshua sheepishly grinned, scratching the back of his head. "We both had anger issues," he said. "But he never hurt Linzy," he said. "Sungjin always went to the training grounds and tore into a training dummy," he said.

"I figured," said Sungcheol. "When I was still living at the dorms we'd sometimes get word that Sungjin was in a bad mood and needed to have time to himself for a bit," he said. "No one wanted to bother Sungjin if he was in one of those moods," he said. "It's a wonder how she even dealt with it," he said.

"Well, Sungjin was the gentlemen," said Joshua. "But everyone has their flaws," he said. Sungcheol hummed in response. "So what are we doing today?" He asked. "I had some things planned before going over to Chan's," said Joshua. "I was planning on doing some more research on the civil war and what really happened," he said.

"You think that's a good idea?" Asked Sungcheol. "Yeah," said Joshua. "I need to figure out what happened," he said. "I want to find out why my brother is stuck here," he said. "It may not even have to deal with the civil war," he said. "I want closure," said Joshua. "I think everyone does at this point," said Sungcheol.

"The civil war was no coincidence," said Joshua. "No, it wasn't," said Sungcheol. "I guess we'll go see what we can dig up," he said. Joshua nodded and went to the palace archives with Sungcheol following after him.

Getting to the palace archives weren't too hard, it was really easy actually. However what was hard to do was getting into the archive room without getting caught. Once Joshua was sure it was clear he headed into the archives room with Sungcheol, quickly going where they needed to and do some research.

After a few hours Joshua and Sungcheol still weren't anywhere close to finding out the truth of what happened during the civil war. "We better go before someone comes looking," said Joshua. "Right," said Sungcheol. After putting everything back where they belonged Joshua and Sungcheol left the room, heading out of the palace and towards Chan and Minhyuk's apartment.

When they got there Jeonghan was just arriving with the twins. "Did you two have fun today?" Asked Joshua. "Yes uncle!" Said Chanyeol. "Let's enjoy the day alright?" Asked Jeonghan. "Okay," said Jongdae.

Everyone spent the afternoon having fun as Chan prepared a feast for everyone. He seemed to be doing a lot better, according to Minhyuk. Everyone was going to make the atmosphere as comfortable as possible. It was rare to have times of peace like this.

After dinner the twins were tired from all the fun they had with everyone and Chan offered to let everyone sleep over for the night. Chanyeol and Jongdae got the couch while Jeonghan, Joshua and Sungcheol slept on the floor in the livingroom.