Chapter 3

The Story of The First Guard

The rest of the journey east was filled with silence, everyone not really wanting to speak. Everyone was anticipating the upcoming confrontation of whoever it was out east that was causing trouble. Kris refused to say who it was, and that frustrated Joshua.

They ended up getting attacked as they were travelling, causing everyone to scatter and Chan had to move far enough away to start firing his crossbow with Hoshi staying nearby. Mingyu changed right on the spot and attacked, with Sungcheol and Jeonghan by his side as they attacked as a team. Joshua hung back with Chan, providing enough distraction inbetween Chan reloading his arrows by sending a fire tornado through the enemy and providing some cover for their close range fighters.

When lightning came down out of no where during a clear day everyone backed away slowly, noticing there was a magic user. Chan and Joshua exchanged glances an ice spike came out of the ground near them and they jumped out of the way, being separated. "Do they not know who they're messing with?" Asked Joshua as he waved his arms around in a circle before sending out a blast of fire that swirled around towards where he figured the ice and lightning was coming from.

"Oi, back out," came Chen's voice, causing Joshua to jump in surprise at the new voice. "Chen?" Asked Joshua. "Back out of this fight, unless you want to be killed," said Chen. "I am not going to back out of a fight if I don't know who's attacking," said Joshua. "Your death wish then," said Chen before it went quiet.

"Chan, we need to back up," called Joshua. Chan looked at Joshua before nodding and backing out of the fight, going out of the range of the ice spikes. Joshua moved out of the range of the ice spikes, hoping that Sungcheol, Jeonghan and Mingyu would back out soon. It didn't look like they would but Joshua and Chan needed to regroup.

It wasn't long before Sungcheol, Jeonghan and Mingyu were captured, with Sungcheol looking surprised at who had captured them. "W-What?" He asked. "It's you?!" He shouted. "Hello, Sungcheol," said Brian as he smirked before knocking him out. "Joshua," said Jeonghan. "It's-" he started before he was knocked out. Mingyu was cornered, hissing as he tried to find a way around them. When he felt the familiar presence of Wonpil, Mingyu whimpered in surprise, and a strong blow to the back of the neck finally knocked him out.

 

~



Joshua, Chan and Hoshi met up after an hour with Hoshi whining about something. "Hush Hoshi," said Chan as he put a hand on Hoshi's head. "Where's?" He asked, turning to Joshua. Joshua shook his head. "Damn it," said Chan. "Did Kris pick up on who it was?" He asked. "He didn't say," said Joshua as he sighed, scratching the back of his head.

"What happened?" Asked Chan. "Why did you tell me to retreat?!" He shouted, grabbing Joshua by the shirt and shoving him against a tree. "Why?!" He asked. "I-I," said Joshua as he looked away from Chan. "Tell me damn it," spat Chan as he slammed Joshua against the tree again. "Why did you tell me to retreat?" He asked.

"I heard Chen," Joshua said after a few minutes. "He said to retreat," he said. "If we didn't we'd die," he said. "And what do you think is going to happen to the others huh?!" Shouted Chan. "I can't believe you," he spat, letting go of Joshua's shirt and stomping away.

"It wasn't like I wanted to leave," shouted Joshua. "If we stayed we probably would've gotten killed!" He shouted. "I'd rather die saving my comrades than run!" Said Chan. "That's the stupidest statement I've ever heard," said Joshua. "What would your family think if they heard you say that?" He asked. Chan scoffs. "What family?" He spat before continuing forward. Hoshi quickly went to his side. Joshua was left to slide down against the tree, putting his head in his hands.

 

~



Wonpil splashed a bucket of water over the three new prisoners, watching as they sputtered and woke up. "What the hell?!" Asked Sungcheol as he wiped the water away from his eyes using his shoulder. "Good, you're awake," said Wonpil. "W-What?" Asked Jeonghan. "Why are you behind this?" He asked. "Simple, because we found out the truth," said Wonpil. "Jae is going to get a kick out of who we managed to capture," he said with a snicker before leaving the room.

"We need to plan an escape," said Sungcheol. Mingyu was silent, looking at his feet as he did so. At least they were kind enough to put some pants on him but it hurt, seeing his old pack alpha again after so many years only to find out that he and the others of the old guard started this mess. "Mingyu," said Jeonghan. "Do you think you can get out of your restraints?" He asked. Mingyu shook his head no.

"I don't think you should try and escape," came a familiar voice, causing everyone to turn to the voice in shock. "Y-You?!" Shouted Jeonghan. "I thought you-"

 

~



Joshua looked up when he heard footsteps again, seeing Chan walk over with Hoshi. "I'm sorry for my outburst," said Chan. "It's alright," said Joshua as he managed a pained smile. "I deserved that," he said. "We should get going," he said, getting up.

"Do you know where they are at?" Asked Chan. "No, but we'll find them," said Joshua. "Why is Kris being silent?" Asked Chan. "I don't know," said Joshua. "But let's go,"he said. Chan nodded and followed after Joshua with Hoshi walking beside Chan.

"I warn you," said Chen, causing Joshua to jump again. "Don't go looking for them, they won't like it," he said. "Who?" Asked Joshua. "Tell me who," he said, summoning his orb and looking at it. Chan paused to look at Joshua. "Who is it?" He asked. "It's Chen again," said Joshua. "I don't know why he's contacting me," he said.

"What's he saying?" Asked Chan. "Don't go looking for them," said Joshua. "Hm," said Chan. "Hey idiot," he said to the orb. "We're going to look for them anyway, so stop trying to make us stop looking for them," he said. Chen appeared in front of them, hissing. "I warned you," he said. "If you go looking for them you're only asking for trouble," he said.

"I think you forgot who you were talking to," said Joshua. "We're looking for them, and I don't give a damn who is behind this," he said. "I will never understand how you humans work," said Chen before disappearing again.