Chapter 8

The Story of The First Guard

Joshua wasn't sure when he started being hunted by something but as soon as he left the area that was N's house something started tracking him. Kris was silent again, and Joshua could only hope to get out of there as fast as possible. He had lost Hoshi along the way, but prayed that he was safe. He just needed to get somewhere safe.

Joshua leaned against a tree, panting as he managed to evade the tracker for now. "How are you able to track me so quickly?" He asked. "It's simple really," came a voice behind Joshua. Joshua tried not to flinch, turning to look at the tracker. "You move too loudly, and Kihyun here was able to keep track of you," said the tracker who sat on top of a wolf.

"Why do I always run into trackers on top of wolf 'shifters?" Grumbled Joshua as he quickly moved back behind the tree as an arrow flew passed him. He spotted another wolf suddenly standing in front of him and Joshua nearly pissed himself as he jumped. "Damn you," he said. The wolf in front of him bared his teeth in a smirk before launching itself at Joshua, tearing into his shoulder. Joshua bit back a scream as he tried to punch the wolf away. He felt ice at his fingertips and quickly slammed an ice covered fist into the wolf's face, causing the wolf to let go.

Joshua rolled out of the way and ran off, clutching at his injured shoulder. "Let's go," called the tracker as Kihyun followed after him. The second wolf followed after them.

 

~



Sungcheol was openly sobbing now, being in pain from losing half his middle finger. "I told you," said Jae. "This would be a lot easier if you didn't resist," he said. "Cauterize the wound," he said. Brian came over with hot metal and pressed it to the wound, causing Sungcheol to scream out in more pain. The smell of burnt flesh soon filled the room as Brian moved away. "I'll get Hyuk on it, I don't think Kihyun's going to be back tonight especially when Hongbin's out hunting Josh," he said.

"You leave Joshua alone," Sungcheol managed to spit out as he tried to move. "Not a chance," said Jae. "We wouldn't be sending someone after him if you and Jeonghan would just break already," he said. "Looks like you're not getting dinner tonight," he said, unstrapping Sungcheol from the table. "Back to your cell then," he said, dragging Sungcheol out of the room.

 

~



Wonpil sat in front of Jeonghan, just studying him. "If you think just staring at me will get me to break it won't work," growled Jeonghan. "I don't have to," said Wonpil. "You're going a week without food, little water," he said. "How long until you actually break hm?" He asked. "Especially now, when everyone else is broken," he said.

"I'm not here to hurt you, despite what the others are doing," said Wonpil as he shrugged. "If I was here to hurt you, Mingyu would've been in here instead," he said. "You better leave Mingyu be," spat Jeonghan. "Or what? You can't do anything to me in your weakened state," said Wonpil as he got up. "I just dare you to try," he said, going to get up in Jeonghan's face. "Do something," he said.

Jeonghan thrashed against his restraints, trying to get free as Wonpil took a step back. "I thought so," said Wonpil as he smirked. "You're not in top shape," he said. "Well," he said, picking up Jeonghan's chair and dragging it and Jeonghan out of the room. "Another day without food for you then," he said.

 

~



Mingyu was as silent as ever, carefully watching and planning something. He was sure that Joshua was led on a wild goose chase, considering that his enhanced hearing had managed to pick up on Joshua's conversation with N. He just had to be sure of what the next plans were, since now they had lost their leader to being broken.

Sungcheol had been brought back into the cell clutching his bandaged hand and sobbing. Chan could only watch with a sad expression and Mingyu kept his expression blank the entire time. It was easy, to fake being broken. They didn't suspect a thing. It didn't mean he didn't suspect that they knew. He was sure they knew he was faking it but it was easier on them it seemed, to refrain from torturing one more person.

Not long afterwards Jeonghan was brought into the cell, still tied to the chair that he had left in. "N is bringing you and Chan food," said Wonpil. "Don't feed it to the other two," he said, earning a nod from Mingyu and Chan. Wonpil soon left the cell, going somewhere else.

"Mingyu," said Chan. "Are you sure about what happened?" He asked as he walked over to Mingyu. Mingyu nodded. "I'm built for recon for a reason," he said. "How did you figure it out?" Asked Chan. "Merely by chance," said Mingyu. "It's soundproof down here so that anyone above can't hear us screaming but it's not soundproof enough to keep me from hearing the outside world," he said.

"What's going on?" Asked Jeonghan. Mingyu was silent as Wonpil came back with food, giving it to Chan and Mingyu. Chan mumbled a thank you, more out of habit than anything and Mingyu stayed silent. Wonpil hummed, before looking at Mingyu. Mingyu kept his head bowed as he looked at the food in front of him, not eating until Wonpil left the area. Wonpil soon left and Mingyu started eating.

"Josh has been here the entire time, until recently," Mingyu said after a few minutes. "I don't know if he even knows we're down here but," he said, sighing a bit. "Hm," said Jeonghan.

 

~



Joshua finally caught a break as he leaned against a tree clutching at his injured shoulder. "Damn them," he said. "I could use a medic right about now," he mumbled to himself. He briefly went through the list of spells he knew in his head to see if he could do anything to close the wounds and found an ice spell that Wonpil had taught him when they were younger. He let the ice form on his hand before putting it on the wound, hissing as it caused him pain. He kept it there until he was sure the wounds were closed and looked around.

"I wish I knew where Hoshi was," he mumbled as he leaned his head back and closed his eyes.