Chapter 5

The Story of The First Guard

Joshua's vision was hazy at best as he leaned against the tree coming in and out of consciousness. He wasn't sure what was going on as he could see movement in front of him and someone come up to him and telling him to stay awake. Everything hurt too much, and he soon found himself almost unconscious again.

"Joshua," a voice? Joshua couldn't tell if it was real or a figment of his imagination through his faded mind. "Hang in there alright? We got you," came the voice again. "I-I..." Mumbled Joshua but the voice shushed him. "You're fine now, just rest," said the voice. Joshua hummed, allowing himself to finally fade into unconsciousness.

 

~



"Ah, they're back," said Brian as Dowoon walked into the room dragging Chan behind him. "Chan?" Asked Sungcheol. "Dino put up a good fight," said Dowoon as he dumped Chan in front of Sungcheol. "We needed to buy some time, you'll be set free soon enough," said Brian.

"What the hell did you do to him?" Asked Sungcheol. "Nothing," said Dowoon. "I find that really hard to believe," spat Sungcheol. "He didn't do anything," said Chan as he looked down. "Where's Joshua?" Asked Jeonghan. "We left him there, Kihyun might've injured him more than we thought," said Dowoon. "When I get out of these damn restraints," snarled Sungcheol as he tried to get out of the shackles attached to his wrists.

"I dare you to try," said Brian as he moved to stand in front of Sungcheol. "You don't want anything to happen to Joshua do you?" He asked. "You leave Joshua alone," spat Sungcheol.

"Grab Dino," said Brian. "No!" Said Sungcheol as he threw himself at Dowoon. Dowoon kicked Sungcheol back before going to grab Chan. "Don't let them break you Chan!" Shouted Sungcheol as Chan was dragged out of the room. "I think you're a bit late there Sungcheol," said Brian as he left the room.

"Damn it," shouted Sungcheol as he moved back to his old spot. "We need to find a way to escape," he said. "Mingyu," he said, turning to Mingyu. Mingyu turned to Sungcheol. "I'm going to need you to work with me here okay?" Asked Sungcheol. "We can get out of this together, we just need everyone's cooperation," he said. Mingyu hummed, looking away again. "Jeonghan?" Asked Sungcheol. "I don't think we'll get let go that easily," said Jeonghan as he shook his head. "We need to let this play out," he said.

 

~



Joshua woke with a start, sitting up and grunting as pain shot through his ribs again. "What the hell?" He asked, looking around. "Oh, you're awake," came a voice as someone entered the room. "Who are you? Where am I?" Asked Joshua. "I'm N, you're at my house," said N. "How are you feeling?" He asked. "My ribs still hurt like hell," said Joshua as he coughed, covering his mouth. "Where's Hoshi?" He asked. "Your dog is fine," said N. "He's resting on the floor beside you," he said.

"Why did you bring me here?" Asked Joshua as he looked around the room. "I couldn't leave you out in the rain could I?" Asked N. "Especially after you passed out in my front yard," he said. "Oh, sorry," said Joshua as he scratched the back of his head. "It's no problem really," said N. "You're lucky all you have is bruised ribs, stay around for a few days you need to rest," he said. Joshua hummed. "If you need anything just say so, I'll be working on dinner," said N. "Sure," said Joshua.

 

~



Jae turned when N walked into the room. "Well, looks like it worked," he said. "He's doing fine," said N. "Doesn't suspect a thing," he said. "The hell did you do to Joshua?" Growled Sungcheol. "Nothing," said N. "We needed to buy another few days and getting your friend was enough to buy us a few more days," he said.

"Where is he?" Asked Jeonghan. "He's here," said N. "He's just not able to move right now," he said. "Kihyun did more damage than he thought it seems," he said. "Don't you dare harm him," said Sungcheol. "I never said I would," said N as he shook his head. "That's what we have you four for," he said. "You'll be broken in the end," said Jae. "Don't worry," he said with a smirk. He went and dragged Sungcheol by the chains out of the room. "It's your turn now," he said. "No!" Shouted Sungcheol.

N went and leaned in front of Mingyu. "You're already broken I see," he said. "Don't worry," he said. "You'll be released soon," he said. Mingyu remained silent, staring at his hands. N moved away before leaving the room to work on dinner.

 

~



Joshua looked up when N walked back into the room with some food. "How are you?" Asked N. "Feeling a little better," said Joshua. "That's good," said N. "I have some dinner," he said, putting the plate on the nightstand. "Thanks," said Joshua as he moved to grab the plate, being careful with his ribs. He picked up the plate and started eating. N sat nearby with his own plate of food, eating in silence.

"Um," said Joshua as he paused in eating. "Have you seen my friend Chan?" He asked, turning to N. "You're not alone?" Asked N. "No," said Joshua. "Hm," said N. "I haven't seen anyone with you," he said. "Just your dog," he said. "Oh," said Joshua as he tried to not look disappointed. "Don't worry," said N. "I'm sure your friend is fine," he said. "Not many people come this far east," he said.

"Are we near the kingdom of VIXX?" Asked Joshua. "A few miles away from the border I'd say," said N. "I wasn't aware that we had come this far east," said Joshua as he scratched the back of his head. "Not many people realize how far east they've come until they run into the border patrol," said N. "Don't worry though, you're safe," he said. Joshua hummed.