Chapter 22

The Story of The First Guard

Sungcheol wasn't sure how long he would last until help came. Joshua was sure taking his time to get here, he noted as he felt the wounds close after Hongseok healed him again. He refused to break, knowing that Kris was keeping an eye on where Joshua was at the current moment. This new warping ability that Minhyuk had somehow developed is exhausting for him, and having to deal with two teleporting wolf 'shifters beforehand made him even more exhausted.

"So you're just going to leave me here?" Spat Sungcheol as he saw that they were about to leave. "We're tired of waiting for your friend to show up," said Yuto. "And no, we have Hui and Changgu for him," he said. Said people soon appeared with their respective partners, landing beside Yuto. "We'll go after him," said Hui. "I don't think it'll be that tough of a fight," he said.

"He didn't seem like much of a fighter," remarked Changgu. "Don't underestimate the guy, that will get you killed," said Hui. "Not trying to," said Changgu. "Let's go then," he said, nodding to Hui. "Go Hyojong," said Hui. Hyojong leaped forward, teleporting instantly. Changgu nodded for Yanan to move, and Yanan soon leaped forward, teleporting in the direction Hui went.

 

~



Joshua had Minhyuk stop, warping back into existence as they landed. "Stay on your toes," said Joshua. "We're about to have some company!" He said as Hui and Changgu appeared with Yanan and Hyojong who were growling at them.

"It's rather strange to see other wolf 'shifters who can teleport," said Hui. "I would more call it warping," said Joshua. "Warp out of existence, not a trace is left behind," he said. "Plus, we don't need a running start," he said, and Minhyuk warped away as Hyojong and Yanan leaped at them. "Go!" Said Hui, and they quickly teleported after Joshua and Minhyuk.

It was a game of cat and mouse, that was for sure. But Joshua was forming a plan in his head as Minhyuk warped back into existence in front of a rock face. "Damn," said Joshua as Hui and Changgu appeared behind them. "Enough of this game," said Hui, withdrawing his bow as Changgu did the same. They were certainly screwed now, and the plan Joshua wanted to set in motion required Kris's help.

An arrow was shot in their direction, causing Hyojong and Yanan to jump away, turning to the new arrivals. "Been a while Joshua," said Brian as he sat on Shownu's back. Dowoon had been the one to fire the arrow as he sat on Kihyun's back with his bow drawn. "It certainly has," said Joshua as he used the opportunity to have Minhyuk warp to where they were, appearing beside Kihyun.

"Do you know where Sungcheol is?" Asked Brian. "We do," said Joshua. "Go, we'll distract them," said Dowoon. "Good luck," said Joshua. "And be careful," he said. Brian and Dowoon nodded, as Minhyuk warped away, continuing the journey to rescue Sungcheol.

"Let's go down fighting yeah?" Asked Dowoon. "As always," said Brian as he had Shownu launch forward, slamming into Hyojong and Hui. A well placed arrow kept Changgu and Yanan from joining the fight. "It's between us," said Dowoon as he went short range, bringing out a single knife. Brian carried a similar knife, as he and Hui battled it out with Shownu and Hyojong going head to head with their respective riders.

"This is for Jae!" Shouted Brian as he hopped up onto Shownu's back, standing before launching himself at Hui. Hyojong was too distracted as Hui was thrown from the wolf, landing on the floor with a grunt as Brian landed on top of him. "We won't let you win this fight," said Brian as he brought the knife down.

 

~



Minhyuk warped back into existence, standing on a cliff overlooking the camp that Sungcheol was being held at. "This is it huh?" Asked Joshua. Minhyuk growled in response, lowering his head as he watched the scene below them.

A rustle to their left caused Minhyuk to warp out of there, reappearing nearby, but they were now hidden as he crouched low under some bushes, with Joshua doing the same thing.

"Hm," said Kino as he stood with Shinwon. "I thought I heard someone," he said. "Come back to camp, there's no way they're here already," called Yuto. Kino and Shinwon went back to the camp, letting Joshua and Minhyuk relax, only slightly.

"We're here," said Joshua, knowing Kris was relaying the message to Sungcheol. "Wait another few hours alright?" He asked. "We'll strike at night," he said.

 

~



Night came, and Joshua was ready to strike. Kris was ready to be summoned, and Joshua laid low until he felt that the timing was right. They hadn't done anything else to Sungcheol yet, Joshua was sure of that. What he wasn't sure of was what had happened to Brian and Dowoon. The two wolves that were with Hui and Changgu came back alone, but that meant nothing. At least, not until Chen decides to pop in and say hello.

"They're dead," came Chen's voice. Speak of the devil, as Joshua raised an eyebrow in surprise. Down in camp Sungcheol snorts, albeit quietly, in surprise. He had figured that with all the teleporting they did it was impossible to kill them. "Brian and Dowoon has wished you luck, and give them no mercy," said Chen. Joshua hummed, nodding slightly as he moved forward and stayed hidden by crawling to the edge of the cliff. He let his orb summon, the familiar warmth from it giving a sense of comfort before he decided to summon Kris.

A roar startled everyone in the camp out of their tents, as everyone gawked at the giant dragon that flew above them. Joshua quickly and quietly ran back over to Minhyuk, hopping onto his back as Kris provided a distraction. Kris destroyed the camp with one giant flap of his wings and Kris landed, swiping at the wolves who attacked him.

When they were plenty distracted Minhyuk warped over to Sungcheol's location under a tree. "I got you," said Joshua as he quickly hopped down and sliced the ropes away from Sungcheol's body. "Can you stand?" He asked. Sungcheol nodded, getting to his feet.

"We don't have time to do much, come on," said Joshua as he grabbed Sungcheol by the wrist and yanked him into Minhyuk's direction. Sungcheol hopped onto Minhyuk's back, nearly falling off as Joshua steadied him, just as they were caught. "Damn it," said Joshua. "Go!" He shouted, as Minhyuk warped away. Kris's roar was the last thing they heard before they warped out of existence, getting out of the area as fast as possible.