Chapter 12

The Story of The First Guard

It went fine, things were relatively normal for the next few years. The twins were 8, and their friendship to Kyungsoo was still going strong despite their differences. It would be a while though, before news of an impending civil war in the kingdom of EXO to the south that caused everyone to be cautious.

Minhyuk had been living with Joshua and Sungcheol ever since returning to the capitol, swearing his loyalty to Joshua in front of the queen. He figured that he owed Joshua that much, having helped him out of that situation. Sungcheol didn't trust Minhyuk at first, but they eventually got along with each other. Minhyuk was great with handling the twins, and would be the one to pick them up from school every day that Rose needed to rest so that was a plus in Sungcheol's book.

A few weeks after the news of a civil war starting in the nearby kingdom of EXO, everyone was called into the palace. "We need you to go south, to the southern outpost," said the queen. "I don't want to have to do this but," she said. "Some refugees are crossing over and we need to help them cross over into our kingdom," she said.

"There's only so much we can do?" Asked Joshua. "Help them, get the children in at least," said the queen. "There's kids crossing over?" Asked Joshua as he looked surprised. "I heard the next batch of refugees coming over would be children," said the queen. Joshua turned to Sungcheol, as did the others, since he had to make the final decision.

"Ah," said Sungcheol as he scratched the back of his head. "We might as well help them out," he said. "As much as I want to say no, we need to help those kids," he said. "Everyone has their temporary orb right?" Asked Joshua as he turned to everyone. Everyone nodded. "Good, we may end up splitting up on this one," he said. "However, we need to be careful with what we're doing," he said.

"Dismissed then," said the queen. "Good luck, stay safe," she said. Joshua and the others bowed before leaving the room.

"Everyone go pack," said Sungcheol as he turned to the others. "We leave for the southern outpost in an hour, meet at the southern gates," he said. "Okay," said everyone before they rushed off to do so.

"Rose," called Joshua as he entered the apartment with Sungcheol and Minhyuk. When he didn't get a response Joshua ran into the kitchen to find a note saying that Rose had been called to the hospital. Joshua then wrote a quick note back saying that they were needed to go to the southern outpost. The twins would be fine on their own, and they could stay with Kyungsoo and his parents until Rose returned. With that Joshua went to get packed, seeing Sungcheol doing the same. Minhyuk wouldn't pack anything, most likely going in wolf form to lead the way.

"We're gonna have to secure a cart," Joshua said suddenly as he went to meet Sungcheol in his room. "Why so?" Asked Sungcheol as he turned to Joshua. "It'll get us there faster if we have Minhyuk towing us there," said Joshua. "And we'd bring some supplies to the outpost so they can prepare for the incoming flux of refugees," he said. "I like that idea," said Minhyuk as he walked into the room.

"You've done this before haven't you?" Asked Sungcheol as he turned to Minhyuk. "I was vital for transportation when the civil war was happening here so," said Minhyuk. "Ah, he has a point," said Joshua. "Mingyu isn't built for transportation," he said. "We'll deal with it though, Mingyu's more recon, you're more transportation and long range," he said.

"Let's go then," said Sungcheol. Minhyuk and Joshua nod before heading out the door, heading towards the gates. When they got there Chan was already there with Hoshi and Mingyu, both ready to go. Now they had to wait on Jeonghan. "We might be able to secure a cart," said Chan. "It's why Jeonghan's not here yet," he said. "He went to see what he could find," he said. "I forget everyone knows what the plans are when we're apart," Joshua said, chuckling awkwardly as he scratched the back of his head.

"Are you okay with this though?" Asked Chan. "Yeah, I don't mind," said Minhyuk. "I've done it before, it's normal," he said. "Besides, I don't want to be useless," he said. "We could use you for combat," said Mingyu. "But I have a feeling that you're long range," he said. "I am," said Minhyuk.

Jeonghan came back with a cart and someone on a horse towing it behind them. "We got it from here," said Minhyuk. "Thank you for helping towing the cart," he said. The person nodded and went to undo the ropes from the horse and leading the horse away. "Ah, I see what this is," said Minhyuk as he went to the cart, standing where the horse was. "I made sure it was outfitted for a wolf 'shifter," said Jeonghan. "But I don't know if it is," he said. "We'll see," said Minhyuk as he went to change before coming back in wolf form. Joshua and Chan went to harness up Minhyuk, making sure the rope was secure in place.

After making sure that Minhyuk was good with the cart Joshua hopped onto his back, holding onto the rope that was secure around Minhyuk's neck. Everyone else got into the cart and after making sure everyone was comfortable Minhyuk started the journey to the southern outpost.

They were attacked on the way to the southern outpost, causing Minhyuk to skid to a stop and avoid an ice spike from nearly spearing itself into his stomach. "What the hell?" Asked Joshua as he looked around. "Be careful, we need to get out of here," he said. "They're to our east," called Mingyu as he looked around, his enhanced senses picking up on the enemy. "Go," said Joshua, causing Minhyuk to head in that direction.

Instead of running into Wonpil like they thought, they ran into 3 boys, with the oldest looking no older than 10. "Leave us alone!" Shouted the oldest boy. "Hey hey," said Joshua as he got Minhyuk to stop. "It's alright," he said, hopping down from Minhyuk's back. "We're here to help you," he said.

"How do we know we can trust you?" Asked the oldest. "You're a day's away from the capitol of Nu'est friend," said Joshua. "What's your name?" He asked. "Luhan," said Luhan. "This is Yixing and Jongin," he said.

"Do you know where you're going?" Asked Joshua. "Kind of," said Luhan. "Keep going along the road, you'll reach the capitol in a day," said Joshua. "We're just going to leave them here?" Asked Chan. "This far into the kingdom? I think it's safer for them," said Sungcheol. "And one's an orb user," said Joshua. "They can defend themselves," he said.

"We'll be fine," said Luhan. "But do you have any food? We ran out," he said. Jeonghan tossed some food at them. "Should be enough to get you back to the capitol," he said. "Thank you," said Luhan. Joshua got back onto Minhyuk's back. "Stay safe out there," called Luhan. "You too," said Joshua. "Go Minhyuk," he said. Minhyuk howled before leaping forward and continuing towards the southern outpost.