Chapter 15

The Story of The First Guard

Joshua was broken, but he pushed passed it. No one wanted to see anyone die in the guard, but it was expected. Their job was dangerous at times, even if it was a rare sight to be sent out to do anything for the moment. For now they had to make sure everyone was okay.

Joshua, Minhyuk and Chan were called to the palace a couple days after returning, hearing that Sungcheol and Jeonghan had made it back with Hoshi. Joshua had gone to make sure that Rose and the twins were okay, and Rose understood the space needed when they needed to grieve over someone's death. She knew how close everyone was in the guard, so she understood that Joshua needed the space. It didn't mean that she would turn down comforting Joshua however, but for now she understood that he needed to be with the others.

"I understand that you lost Mingyu," said the queen once everyone was standing in the throne room. "He will forever be missed," she said. "As will everyone's lives lost getting the others across the borders and into the kingdom," she said. "You will have a week off to rest and recuperate," she said. "Thank you, your highness," said Sungcheol. "Dismissed then," said the queen. Everyone bowed before leaving.

"I know you're staying at Chan's place for a bit," said Sungcheol as he turned to Joshua. "But Rose has been wondering when you'd be coming home," he said. "Soon," said Joshua. "I need time, and she knows that," he said. "She's not the one worried though, Chanyeol has been asking about where you've been," said Sungcheol. "I figured," Joshua said, sighing.

"I'll head back tonight," said Joshua. "Don't worry," he said. "They won't understand grief," said Jeonghan. "They shouldn't," said Sungcheol. "At least, not now," he said. "If it makes it you feel any better," said Chan. "I'll have Minhyuk stay with me," he said. "That is, if you're okay with that," he said, turning to Minhyuk. "I'm fine with that," said Minhyuk. "I don't really have a place to stay anyway," he said.

"Well," said Joshua. "You were fine with us, but that's fine," he said. "I don't want to intrude, I've been sleeping in the livingroom anyway," said Minhyuk. "That's fine," said Joshua as they left the palace.

"Well," said Chan. "I'm going hunting, who wants to go with me?" He asked. "I'll go," said Minhyuk. "I have some things to take care of," said Jeonghan as he scratched the back of his head. "I was going to see Linzy today," said Joshua. "And then I am needed to do some food shopping," he said. "I'll go with you," said Sungcheol. "It'd be nice to bond," he said. "As if we don't already do that," Joshua said with a snicker. "Oi oi," said Sungcheol as he laughs.

"Do you mind if Hoshi goes with you?" Asked Chan. "Not at all," said Joshua. Chan nodded. "Let's head back then," he said to Minhyuk. "Sure," said Minhyuk. "Go with Joshua Hoshi," said Chan before he headed off with Minhyuk. "We'll see you then?" Asked Joshua as he turned to Jeonghan. "Sure," said Jeonghan before he walked away.

"Well," said Sungcheol. "Let's go then," he said. Joshua nodded and started walking, heading to the florist with Sungcheol and Hoshi. "Long time no see," said the florist as Joshua entered the shop. "Hello," said Joshua. "The usual then?" Asked the florist. "Yes please," said Joshua. "And you Sungcheol?" Asked the florist. "The same," said Sungcheol. The florist nodded and went to get roses for Sungcheol and Joshua. After getting the flowers they headed to the cemetery with Hoshi.

Once there Hoshi stood back and waited for Joshua and Sungcheol to be finished with putting the flowers on Linzy's gravestone. Joshua put the rose on the stone first, spending a minute in front of the gravestone before moving away. Sungcheol took Joshua's place, and Joshua gave him some space, going to look for Sungjin's gravestone with Hoshi.

"Hey bro," said Joshua as he found the gravestone for Sungjin. "I know, you're still around but it's nice to see your gravestone finally here," he said. "I hope we can get through this," he said. He stood there for another few minutes until Sungcheol walked over after he was done.

"Ready?" Asked Sungcheol. "Sure," said Joshua. "Let's go get food then," he said. Sungcheol nodded and left with Joshua and Hoshi, going towards the market district.

"Rose going to be home tonight?" Asked Joshua as they searched around the food stalls. "No, they have her working at the hospital to check on the new refugees," said Sungcheol. "Ah, that's fine," said Joshua. "How have the twins been?" He asked. "Fine, I don't think they are aware of what had happened but I'm sure they understand why you're gone so much," said Sungcheol. Joshua nodded.

"Ah," said Sungcheol. "One of the refugees that came to the capitol, he's a 'shifter that hasn't started changing yet," he said. "How do you know?" Asked Joshua. "Rose told me when she got home yesterday," said Sungcheol. "I'm sure we'll be seeing them soon," he said. Joshua hummed in response. "If they're old enough then yeah," he said.

Sungcheol shook his head. "It seems like Chanyeol made friends with some of the new refugees," he said. "Ah," said Joshua. "That makes sense," he said. "But it is rare for them to make friends," he said. "Yeah," said Sungcheol.

Once done getting everything they needed Joshua headed to Chan's apartment to get his things. Sungcheol and Hoshi waited on him before they headed off again, heading back home.

"How do you think Chan's taking it?" Asked Sungcheol as they walked. "Not well," said Joshua. "When Minhyuk and I were with him we heard him crying several times throughout the nights we were there," he said. "Chan and Mingyu were always close," he said. "Which was why I wanted to be there for him," he said. "He seems to be fine with Minhyuk now," he said. "But we need to keep an eye on him," he said.

After getting home and making sure Hoshi had used the bathroom before going inside Joshua went to start on dinner. Sungcheol went to help out and Hoshi stayed in the livingroom, lying on a rug that was in front of the couch.

"We're home!" Called Chanyeol as he walked into the apartment with Jongdae and Kyungsoo. "Welcome back, don't mind Hoshi, he's in the livingroom," said Sungcheol. "Dinner should be ready soon," he said. "Is uncle Joshua back?" Asked Chanyeol. "I'm here," said Joshua. "Uncle!" Said Chanyeol as he ran into the kitchen. Joshua smiled at Chanyeol. "Hey there," he said.

"Uncle, we made new friends today," said Chanyeol. "Really?" Asked Joshua. "They're refugees," said Chanyeol. "We met one of them at school today," said Kyungsoo. "Ah, I see," said Joshua. "Are you staying over tonight Kyungsoo?" Asked Sungcheol. "No, I have to stay with my mom tonight," said Kyungsoo. "Ah, that's fine," said Sungcheol. "Staying for dinner then?" He asked. "Yeah," said Kyungsoo. "Okay," said Sungcheol.

After dinner Chan and Minhyuk stopped by to pick up Hoshi and have a chat with Joshua. "How are you handling things?" Asked Joshua. "I'll be okay," said Chan. "I have Minhyuk, at least I'm not alone," he said. "Check on Jeonghan on the way home alright? He's in the dorms last I checked," said Joshua. "Sure," said Chan.

"I want to convince him to move in with me but," said Sungcheol as he scratched the back of his head. "He just doesn't want to," he said. "He'll be fine," said Joshua. "We all have the temporary orbs right?" He asked. Everyone nodded. "We'll be set," said Joshua. "I'll get going then," said Chan.

"See you around then," said Joshua. "Bye," said Chan before he left with Minhyuk and his dog Hoshi. Joshua went to make sure Kyungsoo made it home safely before going to tuck the Chanyeol into bed while Sungcheol tucked Jongdae into bed.

"Uncle," said Chanyeol as Joshua sat beside him. "Hm?" Asked Joshua. "I hope nothing happens to you," said Chanyeol. "Uncle Sungcheol told us what happened with Mingyu-hyung," he said. "I hope you stay alive," he said.

Joshua paused, blinking in surprise. "Don't worry," he said. "Sungcheol and I will be fine," he said, tousling Chanyeol's hair. "We'll see you get into the guard after us alright?" He asked, grinning. Chanyeol laughs. "Okay uncle," he said. "Goodnight," said Joshua. "Goodnight uncle," said Chanyeol. Joshua tousled Chanyeol's hair before getting up and leaving the room. Sungcheol spent a few more minutes with Jongdae before leaving the room.