Chapter 1

The Story of The First Guard

"Joshua you must not find out the truth, it's not worth the effort of finding out the truth!" Said Sungjin. "But I must know! I need to know how you died," said Joshua. "I don't know if you know this but everyone is at their wits end now, the aftermath of the civil war is affecting everyone, not just us," he said. Sungjin sighed. "Fine," he said. "Don't be alarmed, when you finally find out the truth," he said. "What is that supposed to-"

Joshua woke with a gasp, sitting up in bed as he was forced from his dream world. "What the hell?" He asked, turning to see his wife Rose still fast asleep next to him. He let out a soft sigh and checked the time on his pocketwatch sitting on the nightstand before deciding to just get up and see how the twins were doing. When he entered the twins' room Joshua saw that they were still sleeping and left, going to see if he could start on breakfast before going to pay his respects to his sister in law.

"You're up early," said Sungcheol as he entered the kitchen. "Sungjin refuses to help," mumbled Joshua as he focused on the pan in front of him. "That's alright," said Sungcheol. "I'm sure we'll figure out something," he said. Joshua hummed, nodding.

"You going to see Linzy today?" Asked Sungcheol as he went to the fridge to get a drink. "I might," said Joshua. "What about you?" He asked as he checked on the food before going to get the plates. "I will later, I need to see what Jeonghan's up to, Chan and Mingyu went hunting earlier I'm sure," said Sungcheol. Joshua hummed in response, hearing the twins start to wake up. "I got it," said Sungcheol as he went to the twins' room. Joshua shook his head. "We're constantly fighting for their affection I swear," he said with a snicker as he put food on the table before going to wake up Rose.

"Rose," Joshua said softly as he gently shook her. "It's time to wake up," he said. "Is it morning already?" Asked Rose as she turned over to face Joshua. "Yeah," said Joshua as he smiled slightly. "Breakfast is on the table okay?" He asked. "Come eat whenever," he said, kissing Rose on the forehead before moving away. Rose nodded. "Thank you Joshua," she said. Joshua smiled before leaving the room to let Rose get ready and head back into the kitchen.

"Who's watching the twins today?" Asked Sungcheol as he sat both the twins down in high chairs. "I was going to take them to see their mom today," said Joshua. "Then I was going to drop them off at the daycare," he said. "Rose needs to rest today, yesterday was hard on her at the hospital," he said. "I see," said Sungcheol. "Hey, I'd take care of them if I had time, you know that," said Joshua. "I know, I would too," said Sungcheol as he handed Jongdae his breakfast while Joshua handed Chanyeol his breakfast which consisted of scrambled eggs. After that they both sat down with coffee and ate breakfast. Rose joined them a few minutes later.

"I hope to be home tonight, but with everything that's been happening I doubt it," said Joshua. "I'll send someone for the twins if I'm busy," he said. "Okay," said Rose. "Relax today, you need it," said Joshua. "Okay," said Rose. "Uncle," said Jongdae. "What are we doing today?" He asked. "Ah," said Joshua. "We're going to see your mother today," he said. "Momma?" Asked Chanyeol as his eyes went wide. "I wanna see momma!" He said. "We'll see her today," said Joshua as he nodded. "And then it's daycare for you two, auntie needs to rest today," he said. "Okay," said Chanyeol. Jongdae nodded.

"I'll see you then," said Sungcheol as he got up. "I have to meet up with Jeonghan," he said. "Alright, I'll see you around," said Joshua. "Bye, Sungcheol," said Rose. Sungcheol nodded and went to grab his sword and head out. Joshua finished breakfast and went to get ready, helping the twins get ready to head out. "I'll see you later Rose," he called as he left with Jongdae and Chanyeol, with Chanyeol sitting on his shoulders.

"Do you want to pick the flowers today?" Asked Joshua. "Yeah!" Said Jongdae. "I wanna get a lily," said Chanyeol. "Can I get a rose?" Asked Jongdae. "Of course," said Joshua as he headed to the flower shop, keeping an eye on Jongdae as he ran ahead. "Careful Jongdae," he called after Jongdae.

"Getting flowers again Joshua?" Asked the florist. "My nephews are," said Joshua. "I'll get a rose like usual," he said. "Okay," said the florist before going to get the flowers. After getting the flowers and handing a flower to Jongdae and Chanyeol Joshua headed to the cemetery with Jongdae as Chanyeol stayed on his shoulders.

When they got there Joshua put Chanyeol down as Jongdae went to put the flower down. "Hi momma," said Jongdae. "Hi momma!" Said Chanyeol as he dropped down beside Jongdae with his flower. "Uncle's here," he said as Joshua went to lean next to the twins, putting his rose down. "Hello Linzy," said Joshua.

After spending a few minutes at the gravesite Joshua went to drop off the twins at daycare, promising to come back for them later, or send a messenger. He then went to run a few errands around the capitol, knowing that if he was needed Kris would say so.

"Kris, why do you think Sungjin doesn't want me to find out what really happened?" Asked Joshua as he browsed the market district to see what he could get the twins as a present for good behavior. "I don't know," came Kris's voice. "Something does seem fishy about the night he disappeared," he said. Joshua hummed. "I wonder how the others are faring," he said to himself as he looked around.

"I suggest being careful," Kris said suddenly. "There's more to this than we think, the civil war may be over but there's more to it," he said. "I'll keep that in mind, you keep telling me that," said Joshua as he let out a sigh.