Nine: Pottery and Love Letters

The Boys of Summer

During breakfast, Doyoung seemed to notice that Taeyong was acting strange. 

"What's up with him?" He whispered to Ten. Ten shrugged and furrowed his brows. 

"Not sure, he's been like this all morning," Ten whispered back with concern. Suddenly, Sehun approached their table. 

"You guys wanna do pottery?" Sehun asked in a growl. It was clear that he did not want to do pottery. 

"Sure!" Sicheng responded happily. "Me and my parents make all our own bowls." 

"Homeschooled kids," Johnny mumbled with the shake of his head. 

"Great. I'll meet you guys there after breakfast," Sehun spoke sarcastically. 

Once everyone was ready, the thirteen to fifteens arrived at the art shack. The eight to nines were making little bowls with their hands off in the corner with their counselor. The ten to twelves were also waiting for the tables with Chanyeol, their counselor. 

"Sup babes?" Donghyuck yelled to the thirteen to fifteens. 

"That's gross," the ten year old whined, slapping Donghyuck on the arm. 

Sehun half heartedly explained the process to the campers, letting them loose with the clay after five minutes. 

"Get into pairs or else this will take all day!" He yelled. Ten immediately reached for a still uncomfortable Taeyong. Yuta smiled and wrapped his arms around an overexcited Sicheng. 

"Wanna be my partner?" Jaehyun quickly asked Doyoung. 

"S-sure," Doyoung shyly responded. Johnhy and Taeil looked at who was left, shrugged at each other, and grouped up. 

"Am I the last one left?" Mark whined. 

"Guess you're stuck with me then," Donghyuck responded with a little eyebrow wiggle. Mark groaned loudly and Donghyuck bit his lip. 

"That was y," Donghyuck mumbled. Mark crossed his arms and sighed, admitting defeat. 

Yuta and Sicheng were given a fairly large piece of clay. 

"You said you know how to do this, right? Because I have no idea what am doing," Yuta said with a chuckle. Sicheng grinned. Finally, a chance to prove to Yuta that he wasn't just a baby to take care of, that Sicheng was his equal, someone he could fall for. 

"So you poke your thumb in like this," Sicheng began to explain. Yuta sat down next to him on the tiny ledge, thighs pressed tightly together. Yuta followed his actions, placing his thumb alongside Sicheng's. 

"Then you move your finger outwards to expand." Yuta and Sicheng's hands pulled away from each other. 

"Finally, you shape with the rest of your fingers. But don't make any part too thin or it'll break in the kiln." Yuta wrapped his shapely hand around the outside of the bowl and stared intently at Sicheng's fingers, trying to make the same motions. Their hands continued to collide and Sicheng felt his face turn red despite himself. Yuta suddenly became distracted from the bowl and looked up and Sicheng's blushing cheeks. 

"Are you okay?" Yuta asked, eyebrows furrowing. 

"Y-yeah," Sicheng responded, looking away. The finished the bowl and Sicheng quickly ran off to bring it to the drying area. 

"You don't look so good," Yuta said, running over to where Sicheng was. He placed the back of his palm on Sicheng's forehead, which only made Sicheng blush more. 

"You're really warm," Yuta mumbled, his face a little too close to Sicheng's for Sicheng's liking. 

"Stop!" Sicheng whined loudly. "I'm fine, really!"

Yuta grimaced and backed up a bit. "I-I'm sorry. That was too much," he responded, rushing away. Sicheng sighed and pouted. Maybe he'd been too harsh. But now Yuta was talking to Sehun, and he didn't want to bother him. 

Meanwhile, Johnny and Taeil were a mess. 

"How the is this supposed to work?" Johnny grumbled under his breath as Taeil kicked the base to make it spin. Taeil wrapped his hands around the clay as it was moving and it started to shape. 

"Hey, it's working!" Johnny cheered, placing his hands underneath Taeil's. The bowl became more and more shaped like a vase, then a glass, until the middle became too thin. The entire piece split in half. 

"," Johnny mumbled. 

"Does anyone actually know how to do this?" Taeil yelled, but no one listened. 

"Do you remember anything that Sehun said?" Johnny asked. 

"I don't, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been useful anyways," Taeil responded. Johnny sighed and slumped into his half of the seat, pushing Taeil off in the process. 

"Hey!" Taeil whined, standing up and brushing the dust and grass off of his pants. 

"Sorry," Johnny guiltily mumbled back. They both crammed back on the tiny seat, contemplating what to do. Finally, Johnny stopped the spinning of the work table with his foot. 

" it," Johnny spoke, handing half of the clay to Taeil. "Let's just watch and do what the eight and nine year olds are doing over there," he added, pointing to the kids molding little bowls with their hands. 

"Now that's a plan," Taeil responded, starting to create a misshapen bowl he'd cherish for a lifetime. 

Nearby the other ten to twelve year olds, Mark and Donghyuck were working on their own bowl. Donghyuck had created the dip in the bowl and now they were shaping it. 

"Wanna make a vase instead?" Mark asked, looking over at Donghyuck. 

"Anything for you babe," Donghyuck responded with a crude wink. Mark suddenly realized that his and Donghyuck's thighs were pressed close together, which made him sigh with irritation and blush. 

Sitting close like this made the height difference between the two obvious; despite the fact that Mark wasn't very tall he had major height compared to the prepubescent Donghyuck. Still, the fact didn't seem to affect Donghyuck's confidence in the slightest. 

Starting to shape the vase, Mark wrapped his hands around the clay. Donghyuck put his hands on top of Mark's with a sly grin. Mark just blushed even harder and looked away. 

"Why are you blushing so much? Don't be shy. There's no reason to be afraid; I know it's very romantic," Donghyuck whispered into Mark's ear. Mark just grimaced and blushed harder. 

"You don't mind, do you?" Donghyuck mumbled like he already knew the answer. 

"Uh-um," Mark stuttered, unable to respond out of pure embarrassment, the vase already forgotten about. 

"Donghyuck, stop harrassing the poor kid," Chanyeol said sadly. 

"Chanyeol, stop blocking me!" Donghyuck aggressively responded. 

"I'm so sorry," Chanyeol mouthed to Mark. Mark just gave him a half hearted smile and tried to focus on the vase, instead of Donghyuck's presence so close to his own. 

"How do you know how to do this so well?" Doyoung asked Jaehyun as Jaehyun directed him on how to make it. 

"I go to summer camp every year! Last year I went to art camp," Jaehyun explained.

With a soft chuckle Jaehyun's arms s around Doyoung's and a pair of hands were placed on top of his own. 

"No Doyoung, it's like this," Jaehyun gently instructed, directing Doyoung to thin out the bowl. 

"I knew that," Doyoung mumbled under his breath, trying to not let Jaehyun see how frazzled he was. 

"You don't have to be good at everything, you know," Jaehyun responded. "I'll still like you." 

Doyoung didn't want to let himself read too much into  Jaehyun's words. Like could mean anything. Like could mean friendship like, respect like, acquantaince like. Not necessarily like-like. 

Anyways, his statement was nice to hear. It wasn't often Doyoung heard those words; as class president he had a duty to represent his school well. His parents expected a lot out of him too: they wanted him to be intelligent with good grades, but also have a full social life, and a million and one extracurriculars. 

"Thank you," Doyoung responded, sincerely. 

"Hm, it's no problem bunny," Jaehyun responded quietly. Doyoung furrowed his eyebrows. 

"Bunny?" He asked with annoyance. 

"Yeah! You look like a bunny. I wanna call you that now," Jaehyun responded with a huge smile. Doyoung grumbled quietly to himself, pretending not to like the nickname. 

"Is it done now?" Doyoung asked. 

"Oh yeah," Jaehyun responded with a chuckle. They got off of the stool and carried their bowl to the drying rack, when Doyoung suddenly noticed a paper on the ground. 

"What's that?" Doyoung asked, picking it up off of the ground. Suddenly Yuta came from behind him and snatched the paper out of Doyoung's hands. 

"Dearest Ten, 

Your eyes shine like the stars

Your laughter warms me like the sun

Your lips are warm and gentle like the light of the moon. 

Sincerely,

Your daring TY" Yuta read out loud. Yuta immediately started laughing and Doyoung had to hold back his giggles. 

"Is that for real?" Jaehyun asked. Yuta showed him the note and Jaehyun grew wide eyed. 

"That's hilarious," Jaehyun responded. 

"Cmon, let's go ," Yuta said quietly, giggling. Doyoung and Jaehyun nodded at him and they walked over to Taeyong and Ten's work table. 

"I'll go put this in the drying area Taeyong," Ten spoke. 

"Don't you mean, your darling TY?" Doyoung said, holding back his laughs. 

"Wait, what?" Ten said quietly. 

"Hey!" Taeyong whined loudly. 

"What's going on?" Sicheng asked. Yuta read the note out loud again, for all the thirteen to fifteens to hear. Taeyong tried repeatedly to snatch the slip of paper out of Yuta's hands, but Yuta dodged his every moved. 

"You're so mean," Taeyong said loudly, finally taking the note from Yuta's hands and crumpling it. "That was for Ten's eyes only," he mumbled. 

"You wrote that for me?" Ten cried. Taeyong crossed his arms and nodded angrily. 

"That's so sweet! See, this is why we're a power couple," Ten bragged to the other's. 

"You don't think it's too cheesy?" Taeyong asked. Ten shook his head. 

"No way! I love it. Can I keep it?" Ten asked. Taeyong nodded, handing Ten the wrinkled paper. Ten read it him to himself and a huge smile bloomed on his face. 

"I get why the others are teasing you, but this is really sweet," Ten said quietly so only Taeyong would hear. 

"I just didn't want you to think I'm only dating you to make out. I really do like you Ten. This was the only way I could think to prove it," Taeyong responded, just as softly. 

Ten planted a soft kiss on Taeyong's lips. "Well, it's absolutely perfect to me." A sneaky grin took over his face. "Now, we just have to think of a revenge plan."