Four: The Ledge

The Boys of Summer

The next day, Taeil woke up everyone in their cabin. 

"Breakfast bell," he said tiredly. The boys all got up with a groan, standing and making their way to the dining hall. 

By the time they got there, Mark, Yuta, Jaehyun, and Sicheng were already sitting at their usual table with confused looks. 

"Where were you guys?" Yuta asked them as Kyungsoo, the chef, angrily put mac and cheese in front of them. 

"Asleep," Johnny responded groggily. 

"Why are we eating mac and cheese for breakfast?" Taeyong asked tiredly. 

"Because you guys slept through breakfast! It's noon now," Mark responded. The older boys started laughing to themselves. 

"Damn," Ten responded, hungrily digging into his meal. 

The boys quickly finished up their food as Sehun approached them. 

"Yo, I actually need to help out my boyfriend today so go do whatever the you want," their counselor said. 

"Wait, you have a boyfriend?" Ten asked. Sehun nodded. 

"Here?" Ten asked. Sehun nodded again. 

"Did you guys meet here?" Ten spoke. Sehun nodded a third time. Ten chuckled awkwardly, looking at his friends and then back at Sehun. 

"Um, could I talk to you for a minute?" Ten asked Sehun. Sehun shrugged and the pair walked off to talk in the corner. Everyone looked at each other, shrugged, and started talking again. 

Ten came back and sat at the table, smiling sneakily. 

"Okay, so, I have an idea of what to do today," Ten said with a small smile. Everyone looked at him expectantly. 

"So apparently there's this ledge over by the stream with a great view. We could get some snacks from the store and chill up there," Ten suggested. 

"Sounds good," Taeyong responded, a soft smile on his lips. Everyone nodded in agreement, putting away their things. 

After everyone finished getting ready and gathering snacks/blankets, they finally made their way up to the ledge Ten was talking about. When they got on it, the boys gasped. 

"Wow, the view is beautiful!" Mark said. The middle part of the ledge looked over all of the forest and mountains of their camp, with the horizon in the distance. 

"This is super cool; thanks Ten," Yuta said. Everyone mumbled their thanks to Ten and he smiled. 

"It's no problems guys," he responded. As everyone settled down, Ten suddenly grabbed onto Doyoung's arm. 

"Doyoungie, I have to show you something!" He said loudly. Doyoung shrugged, used to Ten's shenanigans at that point. He walked further up the ledge, leading Doyoung along until they were in a much more secluded spot. 

"Okay so I was talking with our counselor today, right?" Ten said excitedly, his voice dropping to almost a whisper. Doyoung nodded along. "Since he and his boyfriend met here, I wanted to ask him what were the most romantic spots where I could make my moves on Taeyong. He said here was the best spot, and I think he was right!"

"He was right," Doyoung responded. The spot really was beautiful and many spots were quite secluded. 

"Where the hell did you guys go?" Johnny shouted. 

"Coming!" Ten yelled back. 

"I'm putting my plan into action tonight. Wish me luck!" Ten cheered, standing up and walking back to the others. Doyoung chuckled fondly at Ten's craziness and followed him back. 

At first, all of the boys sat in a big clump on the ledge, talking in a friendly way. Doyoung was starting to realize that all of these boys were really nice, and he could even consider them friends. Well, maybe he liked Jaehyun a bit too much but that was beside the point. Even though all of them would be at very different cliques if they went to the same school, their friendship just sort of worked. It was surprisingly to a guy like Doyoung, who had never had too many friends, but he was actually enjoying it. 

It was getting to be later in the evening, the breeze growing chilly, when the boys split off into smaller groups. Ten pulled Taeyong up to a higher part of the ledge, a move Doyoung was definitely expecting. Mark and Yuta were trying to explain dabbing to Sicheng, and Taeil was singing to himself in the corner. That left Doyoung alone with Jaehyun, something that made him both excited and uncomfortable all at once. 

To avoid the conversation, Doyoung pulled his book out of his pocket and started to read it.

"What book is that?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Great Expectations," Doyoung responded. 

"Isn't that old?" Jaehyun questioned. Doyoung chuckled. 

"Yeah, it's by Charles Dickens. From the eighteen hundreds."

"It must be hard to read," Jaehyun said. Doyoung looked at it and thought a moment. 

"A little; it's not that bad though," Doyoung responded. Jaehyun looked over his shoulder at the page. 

"It's too hard for me to read," Jaehyun admitted. "You must be really smart!"

Doyoung blushed hard at the compliment. "I-I dunno," he stuttered out.

"Really! It's cool that you like to read," Jaehyun said, and Doyoung blushed even harder. Why was Jaehyun making things so difficult for him? Doyoung didn't even know if Jaehyun liked boys. Hell, Doyoung didn't even know if Doyoung liked boys. All he knew was that he liked Jaehyun and it was really, really confusing. How did people constantly have crushes? They were so distracting!

At that moment, Taeil decided to come sit next to Jaehyun and Doyoung. Doyoung was grateful for the escape but Jaehyun frowned a bit. 

"Taeil! What's up?" Doyoung asked. He knew Taeil would never start a conversation himself. Doyoung may not like people, but he's definitely not shy. 

"Nothing," Taeil responded with a shy little shrug. 

"You have a nice voice," Jaehyun said. Taeil grinned wide. 

"Thanks!" Taeil responded, but Doyoung frowned. He shouldn't have thought he was special when Jaehyun gave him that compliment. Jaehyun was just nice to everyone. Taeil looked up and his eyebrows suddenly furrowed as the sun began to set on the horizon.

"What are they doing?" Taeil asked with concern. Jaehyun and Doyoung turned their heads to look where Taeil was looking. Up on the ledge they could see Taeyong and Ten giggling together, Taeyong's hand on Ten's thigh and faces only inches apart. 

"Do you think they like each other?" Jaehyun asked. Doyoung didn't say anything because he didn't want to share Ten's secret, even though he had a suspicion that Ten wouldn't really care. Doyoung considered Ten to be his closest friend here and he didn't want to lose his trust. Anyways, hearing all of Ten's inner drama was pretty funny. 

"Seems like it," Taeil responded. Just as Taeyong shut his eyes and started to lean in towards Ten, the sky colored beautiful shades of orange, pink, and blue, a loud voice broke them apart. 

"How are my cool teenage friends?" Donghyuck yelled to everyone. Ten and Taeyong looked beyond disappointed, Mark looked terrified, Yuta looked mad, and Johnny groaned aloud. 

"What are you doing here?" Yuta whined. 

"I wanted to hang out with my cool teenage friends instead of those lame twelve year olds," Donghyuck responded. 

"You're twelve!" Jaehyun shouted back at him. 

"But I'm not lame," he responded with a smirk. He sat down next to Mark and looked at Johnny and Sicheng. 

"What are you guys up to?" He asked casually, like he didn't just interrupt everything the boys were doing. 

"Um, we're trying to explain dabbing to Sicheng," Yuta answered. 

" yeah!" Donghyuck responded, accentuating each word with a dab. "Back home, I'm the king of dabs. I can even dab with a fidget spinner in each hand."

"No thanks," Johnny said, standing up and walking over to where Taeil was. He sat down next to them with a disgusted look on his face. 

"What's a fidget spinner?" Sicheng asked. Donghyuck smirked. 

"It's the greatest invention since-" 

Yuta suddenly covered Sicheng's ears in the middle of his sentence. 

"You must be protected," Yuta mumbled to Sicheng, leading him away from Sicheng. That left Mark and Donghyuck alone, and Donghyuck bit his lip suddenly, trying to be y. 

"You know, that's actually pretty cool. About the fidget spinners and dabs," Mark admitted shyly. 

"Mark! Don't go to the dark side!" Jaehyun shouted. 

"Donghyuck!" A loud, deep voice suddenly yelled. 

"," Donghyuck mumbled, running down the ledge and into the woods. The same counselor who had been looking for Donghyuck two days prior reappeared at the top of the ledge. 

"Where did that little go?" The counselor said, in between heavy breaths. 

"Down there," Johnny responded, casually pointing to the woods. The counselor groaned and rolled his eyes. 

"Thanks," the man said with a sad look in his eyes, slowly stumbling down the ledge and into the forest. 

"I feel really bad for that counselor," Yuta said. Just then, the dinner bell rang, and all the boys got up. 

As they were walking to the dining hall, Doyoung pulled Ten aside. 

"I'm really sorry you got interrupted," he said. Ten rolled his eyes. 

"It's fine," Ten responded with annoyance. "I still have some time though."

"Yeah. If it wasn't for that kid though," Doyoung said. 

"He is pretty annoying," Ten said. "But I can't blame him. When I was twelve I acted just like that."

That didn't really surprise Doyoung at all, but he pretended to be shocked. 

"Overconfident, wanting to be popular and cool, and a thirst for guys. Sounds like me at twelve, and Donghyuck as well. He's still annoying though."

"That's for sure," Doyoung responded. The pair walked into the dining hall, wondering what the next day had in store for them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: hey guys! Author speaking. How are you guys liking the story so far? This is my first NCT fic so I'm a bit nervous but I do like where the story is going. Any questions? Things you'd like to see? What do you like and dislike? Leave me a comment and let me know! I love comments. Thank you guys so much for reading and hopefully enjoying! PS answer my poll pls