Seventeen: Wild Waves and Soft Sand

The Boys of Summer

The next morning, when the boys all met up to walk to breakfast, Doyoung was bombarded by a huge hug. 

"Doyoungie," Jaehyun mumbled in his ear. "I missed you."

Doyoung started to laugh. "We literally saw each other all yesterday until we went to bed," he responded. Jaehyun pecked Doyoung on the cheek. 

"Still, it was too long," Jaehyun spoke, unraveling himself from Doyoung's skinny frame and holding his hand. 

"Ooh, check out the lovebirds," Ten teased. 

"Ooh, check out the s," Doyoung teased back, gesturing to Taeyong and Ten. 

"You're an ," Taeyong mumbled. 

"You love us though," Jaehyun responded as the nine boys walked into the dining hall. 

During breakfast, they all thought about how they would spend their day. 

"Remember when we went to the lake?" Mark asked the group. Everyone nodded. "There was a really nice beach-y area next to the dock. We could hang out there."

"Hm, that sounds fun!" Johnny said. 

"Agreed. Let's go get into swimwear and go," Yuta added. 

The boys finished up breakfast and got ready, walking across the bridge down the path to the lake. Luckily, it was a very nice day and the sun was shining, so it was the right tempurature to swim. 

Taeyong and Ten laid a few blankets down on the sand, flopping down onto them. Taeyong laid down and Ten rested his head on Taeyong's bare chest, interlacing their fingers. 

"This is so relaxing," Ten mumbled. 

"Get a room!" Johnny yelled to them. 

"To be honest, that's kind of pure," Taeil responded, looking over at Taeyong and Ten's blushing figures. 

"Aren't you two gonna go in the water?" Mark asked. 

"Nah, we were forced out of bed before noon. We're gonna nap," Taeyong responded. 

"Understandable," Doyoung mumbled. All he really wanted to do was cuddle with Jaehyun. They'd been holding hands and sharing short kisses since they became a 'thing', but it didn't really feel like enough. Doyoung wanted alone time with him. And even though he'd judged Taeyong and Ten (and Yuta and Sicheng) for sleeping in the same bed, he was now sort of jealous of them. He didn't really want to do anything ual, just cuddle through the night. 

Doyoung started wandering over to the water, where Mark, Sicheng, and Yuta were splashing around. He was leaning against a huge rock, slowly dipping his toes in, when Jaehyun suddenly pushed him up against that rock. 

He grinned and pecked Doyoung's waiting lips. "Wanna come with me?" Jaehyun asked. Doyoung smiled back and nodded, and Jaehyun grabbed his hand and ran off. 

The pair wandered around the area of the beach until they found a slight hill. Walking up and up, they soon reached a cliff decorated with light grass and small rocks. 

"This is nice," Jaehyun mumbled, laying down with a sigh. Doyoung sat down next to him, looking out over the beach. Taeyong and Ten sleeping in the sand, Sicheng and Yuta playing in the shallow waterfront, Mark, Taeil, and Johnny swimming farther out. The light noise of laughter and waves lapping on the shore filled their ears. It was absolutely perfect. 

"I'm sorry I pulled you away from everyone," Jaehyun said. "But I kind of just wanted to be alone with you."

"I wanted to be alone with you too," Doyoung responded. Jaehyun and Doyoung let the beach noises take over for a few moments. 

"Can I kiss you?" Jaehyun mumbled.

Doyoung nodded and turned towards Jaehyun, smiling softly. "You don't have to ask," Doyoung responded, the words whispered against Jaehyun's lips.

Jaehyun grinned and pressed their lips together, kissing him deeply. Doyoung kissed back shyly at first, but slowly gaining confidence. Kissing was still fairly new to him, so he was still a bit shy when doing it. But Jaehyun seemed to enjoy kissing him quite a bit, which gave him a lot more confidence. 

Jaehyun pulled away after a few moments, tucking a lock of Doyoung's pitch black hair behind his ear. 

"You're really handsome," he said softly, looking into Doyoung's eyes momentarily before shyly looking down at the ground. Doyoung blushed, averting his eyes as well. 

"Th-thanks," Doyoung quietly responded, resting his hand on the ground and looking back up at Jaehyun. "I'm not as handsome as you though."

Jaehyun gave Doyoung a look. "That's a lie and you know it." 

Doyoung chuckled. "I'm still pretty surprised that you like me though," Doyoung said. 

"Really? Why?" Jaehyun asked.

"You're just really friendly and stuff. I don't have many friends at school. I mean, I'm class president and all, but I'm still not that popular. I'm just kind of considered someone who is boring because they only care about their studies and nothing else," Doyoung responded, staring at the grass beneath him. 

Jaehyun sighed. "That's really dumb though. You don't just care about your studies. You're just smart, probably much smarter than everyone else at your stupid school. I promise; if we went to the same school I wouldn't ignore you. I'd probably be a bit intimidated to talk to you, since you're a year older and you're cute and smart, but I would do it," Jaehyun said. "And anyways, I do have a lot of friends, but I really think the whole idea of popularity is dumb. As long as you're happy with the amount of friends you have then it's alright." 

Doyoung smiled gently. "How come you're so understanding and mature? Especially for a middle schooler."

"I just care about you a lot," Jaehyun responded, looking up at Doyoung but his voice shy. Doyoung covered his mouth and squealed, curling up in a ball and blushing. Jaehyun hugged Doyoung and pulled him so they were both laying down. 

"Snuggle with me, okay?" Jaehyun asked. Doyoung nodded shyly, unable to stop himself from grinning. They laid down in the soft grass, legs intertwined, under the beautiful sun, and life was perfect. 

Back at the lake, Sicheng and Yuta were playing in the water. The lake water was quite cool but the sun was hot and high in the sky, so in the end it all balanced out. 

It didn't take Sicheng long to notice that he and Yuta were mostly alone, since Ten and Taeyong were fast asleep, Mark, Johnny, and Taeil were far out in the water, and Jaehyun and Doyoung had disappeared to who knows where. 

As much as Sicheng wanted to deny it, he was extremely jealous of Jaehyun and Doyoung. They had the same as him and Yuta, but it was obvious that they both liked each other. Every night, when Sicheng felt Yuta's breath fan across his face, all he could think about was how Yuta didn't feel the same way. Like Doyoung, Sicheng had met his first real crush at this camp, but it just wasn't fair that Doyoung got all the luck and he didn't. 

"Sicheng!" Yuta excitedly shouted. Sicheng shook his head and blinked, looking back up at Yuta. 

"Whuh?" He responded, forcing himself to leave his thoughts behind and return to the real world. Yuta giggled. 

"You're so dopey sometimes. That's why I always have to watch out for you," Yuta responded. Sicheng blushed and looked down at the rippling water when suddenly, he felt a huge splash of water across his chest. He looked up at Yuta was chuckling. 

Sicheng suddenly splashed Yuta back, much harder than Yuta had done to him, leaving his white t-shirt completely soaked. Unconsciously, Yuta threw off his shirt, tossing it to the blanket where Ten and Taeyong were napping. 

Sicheng's throat went dry as he gazed at Yuta's muscular, toned chest. A game of splashing revenge had suddenly turned into stare at Yuta's half body time, and Yuta hadn't even realized. God Sicheng was ed. 

Ten groaned when a very wet t-shirt suddenly landed on his leg. 

"What the ," he mumbled, emerging from his nap and peeling the wet clothing off of his leg. 

"What?" Taeyong sleepily groaned, awoken from Ten's movement. 

"One of these ers threw their nasty shirt at me," Ten explained. 

"Mmh," Taeyong responded, laying back down to fall asleep again. 

"Which one of you threw your grody shirt at me?" Ten shouted. 

"Sorry," Yuta shouted back, laughing as he continued to splash water on Sicheng. 

"You're gross," Ten responded, throwing the top into the sand and laying down next to Taeyong. 

"My shirt's all sandy now! you!" Yuta yelled, but Ten ignored him, scooting closer to Taeyong. 

"Thank ing god I came to this camp," Taeyong quietly said. 

"Why?" Ten responded. 

"Because you're perfect," Taeyong mumbled. 

"You're so cheesy!" Ten softly whined. Taeyong pecked Ten's lips. 

"Don't tell anyone," Taeyong whispered. Ten giggled and bit his lip, and Taeyong threw his arm over Ten's waist. 

"Wanna sleep again?" Ten asked. Taeyong hummed and nodded, pulling Ten closer so his head was in the crook of Taeyong's neck. Taeyong kissed the top of Ten's fluffy hair, listening to the sound of the waves and his breaths getting longer. Maybe, just maybe, Taeyong was falling in love with the crazy boy who had changed his world.