Eleven: Blushing and Balloons

The Boys of Summer

After a quick breakfast, the boys were all hanging by the pool when Mark, Jaehyun, and Sicheng suddenly ran off. 

"Where are they going?" Taeil quietly mumbled. The others shrugged, quickly returning to whatever they were doing before: Doyoung reading with his feet in the water, Taeil wading in the shallow end, Johnny and Yuta doing swim races, and Taeyong and Ten making out in a pool chair. 

"Wait, where did they go?" Doyoung asked after many minutes, his eyebrows furrowing. They had been gone a long time, and Doyoung missed Jaehyun's presence. 

"Lifeguard dudes, did you see three thirteen year olds run off?" Johnny asked the lifeguards. 

"They looked like they were going towards the store," the buff one responded. 

"And they were giggling like idiots," the one with pink hair added. 

"When are they not," Johnny mumbled under his breath. Finally, Mark, Jaehyun, and Sicheng returned. They really were giggling like idiots, holding a big full bag. 

"Where were you guys? And what's in there?" Yuta asked. The thirteen year olds looked at each other guiltily and continued to laugh. 

"It's nothing," Jaehyun responded. "Just snacks for...um...a picnic! Let's go to that grassy field." 

Suspicious but curious, Johnny, Taeil, and Yuta got out of the pool to follow their friends to the field. Johnny tapped Doyoung on the shoulder, shaking Doyoung out of his bookish trance to stand up. 

"Leave that here," Jaehyun whispered in Doyoung's ear. A shiver ran down Doyoung's spine but he was confused at Jaehyun words. 

"Why?" Doyoung responded. 

"Trust me," Jaehyun said. Doyoung hesitated for a few moments but placed his book on the plastic table next to where Taeyong and Ten were making out. 

"Come on guys, the kiddos brought us stuff for a picnic," Taeil said. Taeyong and Ten sighed and rolled their eyes, getting out of their chair to follow the others. 

"Please don't call me kiddo again," Mark said softly. They finally arrived at the field and the giggling started again. 

"So where's the food?" Taeil asked. Suddenly, Mark whipped a water balloon out of the bag and tossed one straight at Taeil. It hit the boy right in the face, leaving him dripping with water. Taeil slowly turned around with a look of shock on his face, which quickly morphed into a confident stare. 

"Oh, it's on," Taeil responded, rushing after the bag of balloons in Mark's hands. Mark screamed and ran away as the others rapidly chased after him, grabbing the bag from his hands. 

"This had better be a fair playing field," Doyoung mumbled, finally wrestling the bag out of Mark's fingertips and dumping all the balloons on the ground. Everyone lurched forward, grabbing the multicolored balloons and tossing them at their friends. It was no big deal, since the sun was shining high in the sky, and they would be warm no matter what. 

As Doyoung was reaching to grab one, he suddenly paused. 

Jaehyun had made him leave the book behind so he wouldn't get it wet. Doyoung blushed at the simple sweetness of his crushes actions, mind going into daydream mode until cool water dripped down his back. 

He turned around to find Yuta giggling at him with a guilty but proud expression on his face. Despite the fact that Doyoung at pretty much every sport, he decided to exact his revenge. Picking up a balloon at aiming it directly at Yuta, his tossed it, only for his aim to be even worse than he thought it was. It flew straight past Yuta and burst directly on Jaehyun's chest. 

"," Doyoung mumbled under his breath. Jaehyun looked up and directly at Doyoung's embarrassed face with surprise, tilting his head and laughing. 

"It was an accident! I meant to hit Yuta!" Doyoung loudly whined. But Jaehyun just laughed and grabbed a balloon to throw at Doyoung. For the first time ever he was able to duck something that was being thrown at him, but he immediately got distracted when he got up. 

The front of Jaehyun's plain white t-shirt was completely wet to the point of being see-through. 

"How can a thirteen year old have such a nice body?" Doyoung thought angrily, eyes glued to Jaehyun's chest. 

"Mmh, like what you see?" Ten suddenly mumbled in Doyoung's ear. Doyoung glared at him out of the corners of his eyes and mumbled unintelligibly under his breath. 

Doyoung suddenly heard a loud 'splat' and saw Ten's jaw dropped. The two of them turned around to see Taeyong laughing his off. 

"Oh that's it," Ten growled, grabbing a balloon and throwing it in Taeyong's direction. The balloon just barely missed Ten's giggling boyfriend and instead hit Jongin, the maintenance counselor. 

Ten looked around Taeyong to see Jongin's manly, muscular, shirtless chest drip with the water. 

"Sorry," Ten said. It was obvious that he wasn't sorry at all. 

"It's alright," the maintenance man responded, laughing loudly and lifting a wooden beam over his shoulder. Ten watched, lower lip caught between his teeth, fire in his eyes. 

"You have a boyfriend," Doyoung mumbled into Ten's ear. 

"Come on, the least I can do is stare," Ten responded. Doyoung rolled his eyes; Jongin the maintenance guy was really gorgeous. 

"Let's go over here," Taeyong said loudly, dragging Ten away from Jongin's toned back. Doyoung laughed at the couple as Jaehyun approached him. 

"I swear; I didn't mean to hit you!" Doyoung whined. 

"Nah, it's alright," Jaehyun responded with his boyish smile, pushing his wet dripping hair out of his eyes. The sight of Jaehyun looking like that made Doyoung turn his head away. 

"Wanna team up against Yuta and Sicheng? They're the reason I'm dripping," Jaehyun whispered to Doyoung. 

"Jaehyun's not the only one dripping," Ten mumbled into Doyoung's ear as he and Taeyong passed by. Doyoung delivered a quick slap to Ten's arm before turning his attention back to Jaehyun. 

"I'm down. Yuta got one down my neck," Doyoung responded. Jaehyun handed Doyoung a few of the water balloons and lead Doyoung to sneak up behind Yuta and Winwin, just as they were pelting Taeil. 

"Ready, set, go!" Jaehyun whispered. On go, he and Doyoung threw their balloons onto Yuta and Sicheng's awaiting backs. 

"Revenge," Jaehyun said with a smile when Yuta turned around. Sicheng and Yuta started throwing balloons back at Jaehyun and Doyoung, getting each other completely soaked. 

Finally, once almost all the balloons had been used up, the lunch bell rang. 

"But we're so wet!" Mark whined. They sighed and headed to the dining hall anyways, not wanting to be late. 

After sitting down, Kyungsoo the chef approached them. 

"For once, you guys aren't late. However, you're dripping wet. When will you guys ever get it right?" The counselor asked with a frustrated sigh, giving each teenager a corn dog. 

"Sorry," Sicheng mumbled bashfully, pulling a piece of torn balloon plastic out of his hair. 

"Where was Donghyuck?" Ten asked the group as they began to eat their lunches. 

"God, would I have liked to throw a water balloon at him," Johnny mumbled. Many others voiced their agreements.

"Hmm, he would've gotten all of us though," Yuta responded. 

"True," Doyoung agreed. 

"Speak of the devil," Taeil mumbled as Donghyuck strode over to their lunch table. 

"Why so wet? Is it because I'm finally here?" Donghyuck said with a smirk. 

"That's disgusting," Sicheng mumbled. 

"Actually, we had a water balloon fight," Doyoung clarified. 

"Why didn't you guys invite me? I would've kicked all of your asses," Donghyuck whined. 

"Exactly," Taeyong mumbled. Donghyuck raked his eyes over every boy in the group before landing on Mark. 

"You look hot with wet hair, you should wear it more often," Donghyuck said to the thirteen year old. Mark looked up at Donghyuck before suddenly looking away and blushing, not giving him a real response. Nobody else spoke for a few moments. 

"Fine, I guess if I'm going to be so underappreciated here I'll just go back with the lame-o preteens," Donghyuck said, stomping back to his usual table. 

"Are you actually blushing?" Johnny asked Mark with a laugh. 

"Shut up it's just because he gave me a compliment," Mark whined, his mouth stuffed with food. Ten felt Mark's cheeks with the back of his hand. 

"Hm, I think someone's got a little crush," Ten teased. Mark swallowed his food and glared at Ten. 

"The very idea of that disgusts me," Mark responded seriously. 

"Very true," Taeil mumbled. 

As lunch was winding down, Sehun approached the thirteen to fifteens table. 

"Why are you guys so wet?" He asked. 

"Water balloon fight," Jaehyun mumbled in response, kind of embarrassed. 

Sehun chuckled. "Those are always fun," he said. "Well, I don't have any plans. Just make sure you're dry before night or you'll freeze your asses off."

"Right," Doyoung responded. Sehun waved goodbye to the group and headed out of the dining hall. 

"It's so nice that he lets us do whatever," Jaehyun said. 

"He knows exactly what he's doing," Johnny responded with a sly smile.