One: Why Was Doyoung Here Again?

The Boys of Summer

"Mom, tell me again why I have to waste a month of my summer at camp?" Doyoung asked incredulously. 

"Honey, we think you need to get out of the house more. It's worrying that you can go weeks without going outside," she responded. Doyoung released an exaggerated sigh. 

"Come on!" He whined, sounding ten years younger than he actually was. "I have a perfect GPA, I'm class president, and I spend my time indoors reading! What more do you want from me?" 

"Son....you're kind of a loser," Doyoung's dad spoke. 

"Dad!" Doyoung cried. Doyoung's mom glared at his dad. There shared a look and Doyoung's mother sighed. 

"Honey, we don't think you're a loser. We just want you to have some new experiences! Get outside, do a little bit of physical activity, maybe even make a few new friends!" She said excited. But to Doyoung, those three things sounded like the worst things he could possibly do. 

Just as he was about to respond, his mother pulled into the parking lot of camp. Doyoung released a loud, frustrated groan and flopped onto his seat. 

"Come on honey, help me get out your luggage," His mother spoke. Doyoung rolled his eyes and left the car, helping his mom get his things. 

"I'll miss you," Doyoung's mother said sadly. 

"Miss you too mom," Doyoung responded. Even though he was mad at his parents, he'd never been away from them for a whole month. The thought of it was scary. They shared a loving hug before Doyoung took his bags from her and went over to passenger's seat of the car. Doyoung's dad leaned out the window and ruffled his son's hair. 

"I'll miss ya," he said casually. Doyoung sighed. 

"I'll miss you too," he responded reluctantly. He moved away from the door so his parents could drive off. 

"Have a good time sweetie!" His mother yelled as they drove down the road, far away from Doyoung. Doyoung didn't have the heart to respond. 

He sighed and picked up his bag, looking at his surroundings. A long line of boys, most appearing younger than him, stretched out from a table that had a sign reading "SIGN IN HERE!!!" in huge block letters above it. He got to the back of the line and waited. 

When he finally got to the front, a smiley boy who looked not too much older than him was manning the table. 

"Welcome to Camp Purple! What's your name?" The counselor asked cheerfully. 

"Kim Doyoung," he responded with a glare. The man flipped through a packet of papers and smiled as he ran a highlighter across Doyoung's name.

"Welcome Doyoung! I'm Yixing, director of five to seven year olds!" he said with a grin. "You're all set to go! Your cabin is at the very end of this path, labelled E2, with the other thirteen to fifteen year olds. 

"Thanks," he mumbled to Yixing, starting to trudge down the path. 

"Wait! Doyoung, is it?" Yixing called. Doyoung turned back around and nodded. 

"Don't be scared or sad. I can promise you that this summer is going to change your life." 

"Um....okay. Thanks," Doyoung responded, starting to walk down the path. 

 As frustrated as Doyoung was, he had to admit that this place was beautiful. Bushes covered in flowers and redwood trees surrounded the woodchip path, the afternoon sunlight filtering in through the leaves. He passed by different cabins, all labeled with letters and numbers, and he could here the noises of little boys playing and talking come from them. It smelled like warmth and nature and it made Doyoung feel at least a little bit better about his situation. 

At the very end of the trail were two cabins labelled E1 and E2. He stepped towards the one labelled E2, the wooden door creaking loudly as he pushed it open. 

The cabin was much smaller than he expected. Three sets of bunk beds framed the room, pushed up against the wooden walls. All of the beds except two had luggage on them, so Doyoung dropped his things on the bottom bunk farthest from the door. Clearly people had already arrived, but no one was in the cabin, so Doyoung just shrugged and started to make his bed. 

Soon, Doyoung finally finished unpacking his things, grabbing his book and flopping onto the bed. 

"Why did my parents even send me here?" Doyoung frustratedly mumbled to himself. "I hate the outdoors, I hate physical activity, and most of all I hate overexcited camp counselors. I swear, I'm spending the rest of my summer on this bed. No way am I participating in any stupid childish camp activities." 

Suddenly, a boy around his age burst into the cabin. Doyoung dropped his book in surprise, looking up. 

"What the hell are you doing in here? There's pizza in the dining hall," the boy said. Doyoung sighed, rolling his eyes and putting down his book. Pizza did sound pretty good. 

Doyoung tucked his bookmark into his page and followed the friendly boy out of the cabin, back onto the woodchip path he'd followed earlier. 

"I'm Ten," the boy introduced. 

"Uh, I'm Doyoung," he responded uncomfortably. 

"It's nice to meet you! I've never been to this camp before, have you?" Doyoung shook his head. 

"Me either, but I'm super excited. Just me and a bunch of boys, am I right?" Ten said. 

Doyoung was trying to think of response when they came up on the dining hall, a large wooden building with the sound of loud chattering coming from it. 

"Let's go in!" Ten said excitedly, grabbing Doyoung's wrist and leading him inside the dining hall. 

The inside looked almost exactly like their cabin, except for the circular tables and large amount of people inside. In the back of the room there were stations for tea and cereal, as well as an area for dirty dishes. A few of the counselors were handing out pizza and PB-J's to the hungry kids, and there was large pitcher of bright, strangely colored liquid on every table. 

"I think those are the other people in our age group," Ten said, pointing to a group of uncomfortable looking teenagers. Ten and Doyoung looked at each other, shrugged, and made their way over to the table. 

At the table were seven other kids, a few of them talking but most of them looking down at the ugly, pink and yellow plastic tablecloth. Doyoung and Ten sat down at a free spot, and Ten smiled at all of them. 

"Is this all of us?" Ten asked. 

"Looks like it," A super tall guy responded. 

"We should introduce ourselves!" Ten said excitedly. 

"Let's say our name, age, and something we like," another guy answered. 

"That's kinda lame, but I'll start," Ten responded. "I'm Ten, I'm fourteen, and I'm a dancer." 

"Uh, I'm Taeyong, I'm fifteen, and uh, I guess I like....writing?" The guy sitting next to Ten spoke. Ten gazed at him with a dazed look in his eyes. 

"I'm Johnny. I'm fifteen, and I like.....just kinda ing around, you know?" The super tall guy said. Ten also gazed at him with a dazed look in his eyes. Doyoung was quickly starting to feel out of place. Taeyong and Johnny seemed way cooler than him. 

"Hi, I'm Taeil," the next guy said very quietly, looking away from the group. "I'm fifteen, and I like to sing." Doyoung immediately felt better; Taeil felt like the kind of person he could hang out with. 

"I'm Mark, I'm thirteen, and I like to rap cool rhymes," the smallest boy said. Doyoung pursed his lips and looked at the table. Everyone else just sort of looked vaguelly uncomfortable. 

"Hi, um, I'm Sicheng, I like playing piano. Oh, yeah, I'm thirteen," another boy said. 

"I'm Jaehyun, I'm thirteen, and I like...I dunno, just hanging out with my friends," a boy with a bright smile spoke. Ten gazed at him with a dazed look in his eyes, and even Doyoung blushed a little when their eyes locked. 

"My name is Yuta, I'm fourteen, and I like playing football. Manly stuff, you know?" He said, flipping his hair out of his eyes. Ten chuckled loudly, and everyone stared at him. Ten looked at Doyoung for help, and he sighed. 

"I guess I'm last then," Doyoung mumbled to himself. "I'm Doyoung, I'm fourteen, and I like to read."

Suddenly, two teenagers, one small and one gigantic who looked not much older than Doyoung's peers stood up on a table. 

"Hello Camp Purple!" The tiny one yelled. The room fell silent and everyone turned to stare at them. "I'm your Camp Director number one, Kim Joonmyeon!"

"And I'm Camp Director number two, Wu Yifan!" The tall one said loudly. 

"We're here to make this the best summer of your lives! Each age group will have their own counselors who will tell you all where to go next, so you can start your fun camp activities!" Joonmyeon spoke. The two camp directors got off of the table as a bunch of other counselors swarmed through the dining hall. 

The thirteen to fifteen year olds waited only a few moments before a lanky, blonde haired boy approached them, wearing ripped black skinny jeans and an annoyed expression. 

"I'm Sehun, I'm your counselor or whatever, blah blah blah. Look, I'm only here to get away from my parents and my boyfriend's . Go do whatever the hell you want," he spoke, and then promptly left the table. 

The campers shared a confused look with each other before shrugging. 

"Let's just hang out in our cabins, sounds good?" Taeyong asked the group. They all nodded in agreement and stood up, leaving the dining hall and starting to walk down the path back to their cabins. Ten suddenly approached Doyoung, linking their arms and walking alongside him. 

"Ugh, everyone here is so hot," Ten whispered into Doyoung's ear. "I'm too gay for this. How am I going to live?" 

Doyoung sighed. For completely different reasons, he didn't know how he was going to live either.