Twenty Two: The Teen Dance

The Boys of Summer

That evening in the dining hall, Sehun approached the thirteen to fifteens. 

"So tonight there's the teen dance," he said. 

"Like a school dance? At camp?" Johnny asked with a slight grimace. 

"Yeah, but it's a lot better I swear. I know what you mean; school dances are trash," Sehun responded. Doyoung couldn't agree more; the only downside to being student council president was being forced to go to all of those events. 

"Alright, we'll go," Taeyong answered. "But I swear if it's as lame as the teen movie, we're leaving."

"It's a deal," Sehun answered, and left to go set up. The others cleared their plates and went to go get ready. 

They met up with the counselors and the sixteen to eighteens at the bridge, and the counselors led them to an empty cabin a short distance away from the rest of camp. Inside, a DJ was playing the latest hits, and water and snacks were lined up. 

Johnny, Ten, Taeyong, Mark, and Yuta immediately went inside along with the other sixteen to eighteens. The others, however, nervously waited outside. 

"I've never really been to a dance," Sicheng admitted. 

"It's kinda fun! Do you dance?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Yeah, actually. I take dance lessons back home," Sicheng said. 

"Then don't worry! Go in! Dance! Have fun!" Jaehyun said encouragingly. Sicheng smiled back at him and stepped inside. Jaehyun then turned to Doyoung. 

"Don't you wanna go in?" He asked. 

Doyoung chuckled. "I mean, unless you want to be embarrassed, then no," he responded. 

"Why not?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Well, I am a horrific dancer," Doyoung admitted. 

Jaehyun left. "I do not care. I'm sure it'll be cute," he responded. 

"You say that now, but you haven't seen me actually dance," Doyoung explained. 

"I told you, I don't care! Now let's go in," Jaehyun spoke, and he and Doyoung walked inside hand in hand. 

Taeil sighed, still waiting outside the dance area. "I guess I'm all alone," he mumbled to himself. Suddenly, Johnny walked over to him. 

"What are you doing?" The tall fifteen year old asked. 

"I don't dance," Taeil responded. 

"Well you do now," Johnny said, dragging Taeil inside of the cabin where the dance was located. 

The cabin where the dance was being held was super tiny. Bodies crammed together, with a small DJ and set up in the corner, everyone was already sweating while they danced to the loud pop music (which was currently playing Rockstar by Post Malone). The sixteen to eighteen year olds were laughing and dancing and occasionally grinding together, while the younger teens were dancing normally. 

As expected, Taeyong and Ten were both quite talented dancers. Johnny, Sicheng, Jaehyun, and Yuta were pretty good too, and surprisingly even Mark was too cringey. But Doyoung and Taeil were...let's just say, rhythmically challenged. 

"You're so bad!" Jaehyun said jokingly to Doyoung while laughing. 

"I warned you," Doyoung responded, still cheerfully. 

"I was right about it being cute though," Jaehyun spoke, and Doyoung grinned at how sweet his boyfriend was. Just then, the song switched to "Work" by Rihanna and Ten bit his lip excitedly. Doyoung rolled his eyes, knowing absolutely nothing good could come from that expression. 

Ten pressed close to Taeyong and reached up to whisper something in his ear. Taeyong's eyes widened at his hidden words and a smirky grin bloomed on his face. In Doyoung's opinion, that was even worse. 

Ten suddenly turned around and bent over, twerking on Taeyong's crotch. Mark physically screamed and most of their friends started to die laughing. 

"Somehow, that was the least surprising thing to happen here at camp," Doyoung said to Jaehyun. 

"What is that?" Sicheng asked. 

"Twerking," Johnny explained. Sicheng blushed just watching, then blinked and turned away. 

"Man do I wish I had a partner to twerk on my ," Johnny mumbled, and Taeil left to go get some water and try to suppress the spike of jealousy that rose up in him. He could barely dance, let alone twerk. But what did it matter? He never had a chance with Johnny anyways, at least that's what he told himself, so there was no point in even trying. 

"Break it up guys," Sehun said to Ten and Taeyong. 

"You !" Ten whined but he stood up. Taeyong gave Sehun the worst death glare any of his friends had ever seen. 

"You're the worst," Taeyong growled, and everyone knew it was completely sincere. Taeyong wrapped one arm protectively around Ten's waist, and the other hand he placed on Ten's firm . 

"Honestly, if it were up to me I would let you two be; believe me I did a lot of twerking at these events back in my day," Sehun spoke. "But if any kids tell their parents that they saw an underaged boy twerking on an underaged boy at the teen dance then we could get in serious trouble."

"But those kids are grinding!" Ten whined, pointing to some seventeen and eighteen year olds who were graphically grinding on each other. 

Sehun just sighed. "Believe me; I've tried to stop them," he responded. "Now go have fun! And no twerking. Save that for your cabin room," Sehun said and left. Taeyong flipped him off behind his back and they made their way over to the others. 

"Rude," Ten said, his words punctuated with an eyeroll. 

"You two are gross," Mark responded with a grimace. 

"Wait a few years Mark and you'll be jealous, not grossed out," Taeyong responded with a dirty wink. 

"Guys, let's just dance like normal people, okay?" Jaehyun said, and the boys agreed and danced once again. 

A few hours passed, and everyone was having a great time. Even the not-so-great dancers were having fun, once they'd thrown off their embarrassment. They were sweaty and exhausted but they were joyous and free, and that's all you can really ask of a ty teen dance in an abandoned cabin in the woods. 

Just as Havana by Camila Cabello ended, the DJ put on Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran. 

"Thank god, a slow song. I was getting really tired," Jaehyun said quietly, pulling Doyoung close to him so they could slow dance. 

Even though Doyoung had been to every single school dance his schools had offered, he'd never been able to slow dance with anyone. No one had ever asked, and even though he didn't ask himself because he never liked anyone from his school in that way, he was still a bit jealous when all the couples got onto the dance floor and just swayed, holding each other close. Now, Jaehyun had wrapped his arms around Doyoung's waist and pulled him in close, and Doyoung rested his arms around Jaehyun's shoulders. 

Doyoung was tall, but Jaehyun was just a bit taller, and Doyoung absolutely adored it. He loved the way he could gently rest his head on Jaehyun's shoulder and feel protected in his arms. 

"You're really precious to me," Jaehyun whispered into Doyoung's ear. Doyoung felt himself blush and grin from ear to ear. 

"M-me too," Doyoung shyly admitted, and the pair swayed back and forth. 

As Sicheng started to sit down at the benches by the snacks, Yuta walked over to him and gave him a look. Despite the fact that they'd still been sharing a bed at night, things were sort of awkward between them, and they weren't really on speaking terms. 

"What?" Sicheng asked, wincing when he heard how aggressively the words had come out of his mouth. 

"Come on," Yuta responded softly. "Just dance with me." 

As much as Sicheng wanted to stay angry at him, he could never resist Yuta's big eyes asking him so nicely. So Sicheng got up, following Yuta out onto the dance floor and stepping close to slow dance. 

As Taeyong slid his hands into the back pockets of Ten's jeans while they slow dance, some of the teens turned to see Donghyuck sneaking into the cabin. 

"God damn it," he whispered, walking over to Mark. "I missed the fast songs." Mark was hanging out by the snacks, alone, as all his friends paired up with each other and started to slow dance. Donghyuck suddenly noticed Mark's slightly dejected appearance and stood up. 

"It took a lot of effort for me to get here; let's at least make it worthwhile. Dance with me?" Donghyuck asked. Mark looked up at him and nodded shyly, not sure what to make of this. 

Donghyuck wrapped his arms surprisingly gently around Mark's slim waist, taking the lead right away despite the fact that Mark was so much taller. Mark shyly placed his hands on Donghyuck's shoulders, not quite sure what to do with himself. 

Donghyuck scooted in closer but left a few inches between them, which Mark was extremely grateful for. 

"Have you never slow danced before?" Donghyuck asked with surprise. Mark frowned and shook his head. 

"No one's ever asked you?" Donghyuck asked. Mark shook his head again. 

"Have you ever been the one to ask?" Donghyuck questioned. 

"I did a few times, but I always got rejected," Mark admitted. Donghyuck frowned and shook his head. 

"Poor baby; those idiots don't know what they're missing," Donghyuck responded. Mark hung his head down to hide his smile, and Taeyong and Ten suddenly turned to look at them. 

"Aw, you two are so cute!" Ten said teasingly. 

"Shut up! You were twerking earlier," Mark whined back, trying to get the attention off of him and Donghyuck. 

"They were twerking! , I wish I could've seen that," Donghyuck said sadly. Mark laughed, but turned his head away before he and Donghyuck could lock eyes. He was too afraid of how red his face would get.