Twelve: Cleaning and Other Blues

The Boys of Summer

Exhausted from their water balloon fight the day before, the thirteen to fifteen year olds dragged themselves to the dining hall at twelve fifteen for lunch. Sicheng was the only one worried about pissing off the chef, but the others didn't seem to care about skipping breakfast and being very late for lunch. 

"Excuse me," Kyungsoo the chef said to the ten boys sitting around their usual table. Doyoung grimaced, Sicheng looked terrified, and Mark gave him an oblivious smile. 

"Sorry," Ten groaned. Kyungsoo death glared all of them. 

"You know what? You boys need to be taught a lesson. I slave over a hot gigantic microwave, day and in and day out, only to be disrespected by you boys skipping meals. Today, you guys are the ones cleaning the kitchen," The chef said to all of them.  

The whole group whined and groaned loudly, frowning at the counselor. 

"Really? Come on," Jaehyun grumbled. 

"That's that. I'm going to take a break. Be done by the time I come back to make dinner," Kyungsoo the chef stated, storming off. The boys glared at him as he left, sitting down next to one of the hot maintenance guys (the one named Jongin, Doyoung remembered). Jongin tried to rub Kyungsoo's shoulder but Kyungsoo shook him off and crossed his arms. 

"Are they together?" Mark asked. 

Ten sighed. "Some as hot as the maintenance guy deserves better than that mean chef," he responded, leaning his head on the table. None of the boys were hungry any more, so they just watched the other kids file out of the dining hall slowly but surely. They sighed as even the counselors started to leave. 

"Don't feel too bad, he's mad about other stuff," the hot maintenance guy whispered to them as he left. 

"That doesn't help! We still have to clean the ing kitchen!" Ten yelled back to him. The maintenance guy just gave him an apologetic shrug and left the dining hall. 

"Get to work boys," the chef said to the group. "Oh wait, you're free. But the rest of you have to clean," Kyungsoo said to Sicheng. Sicheng visibly brightened. The chef headed out with the others and the campers were alone in the dining hall. 

"I should stay and help you guys," Sicheng said sadly. 

"Nah, you go. Don't worry about it," Yuta responded, smiling at the thirteen year old. Sicheng blushed but smiled and nodded back at Yuta as Yuta patted his shoulder. 

"Thanks. Are you guys sure?" Sicheng asked. 

"Of course!" Yuta said cheerfully. 

"Okay, bye then. I can come back if you guys need me!" Sicheng said excitedly, heading out of the dining hall. 

"Great, because of your little crush we just lost one more helper," Johnny said to Yuta. 

"I do not have a crush on him," Yuta firmly responded. 

"Dude. Stop lying to yourself," Taeil said. 

"He's like my little brother!" Yuta protested loudly. 

"Guys, guys, we have to get to work. Let's divide up the tasks so we can get it done quicker. Me and Ten will load the dishwasher, Doyoung and Jaehyun can sweep, Johnny and Taeil can wipe down the tables, and Mark and Yuta can bring everyone supplies when they need it. Sounds good?" Taeyong said to the group. 

"That's brilliant babe," Ten said, kissing Taeyong on the cheek. Ten tilted his head and grabbed Ten's jaw, kissing him deeply on the lips. 

"We have to get to work, remember?" Taeil said to the couple making out before them. Taeyong and Ten blinked and pulled apart, fixing their shirts. 

"Oh yeah, right. Let's go!" Taeyong responded, and they all got to work. 

Ten and Taeyong carried the tubs of dishes into the kitchen, setting them down on the counter with a huff. 

"I'll hand them to you and you put your load in the dishwasher," Ten said. 

"But babe, I'd much rather put my load in you," Taeyong responded with an embarrassed smile. Ten's jaw dropped and he turned to look at Taeyong. 

"Really?" Ten asked. Taeyong started loudly laughing. 

"I'm sorry that was really bad," Taeyong responded. Ten laughed loudly too. 

"Nah, I can appreciate a good dirty joke," Ten responded. Still laughing, Taeyong opened the dishwasher and Ten started handing him the dishes. 

"You know why I suggested we worked here?" Taeyong asked, and Ten shook his head. 

"Well, first of all, so we could take make out breaks without being teased."

"Obviously," Ten responded. 

"And second of all, so we could gossip about everyone else," Taeyong said. 

"Sometimes I wonder if you can read my mind," Ten responded with a sly smile. 

"Nah. I think we're just perfect for each other," Taeyong answered. 

Ten suppressed a squeal and grinned brightly. "God, you're so sweet," he said softly. Taeyong winked at him and started organizing the dishes as Ten handed them to him. 

"Speaking of being perfect for one another, thoughts on Doyoung and Jaehyun?" Taeyong asked. 

"Doyoung likes him, pretty sure Jaehyun likes him back. It's on Jaehyun to confess though," Ten said. 

"Why? Doyoung can be pretty blunt when he wants to be," Taeyong responded. 

"He's awkward about romantic stuff. It's crazy that we're the same age yet I'm so much more experienced than him. Get this; Jaehyun is his first ever crush. Not just his first kiss or anything," Ten said. Taeyong stared back at him with wide eyes. 

"Seriously?" He asked. Ten nodded. 

"I know; I was surprised too," Ten explained. 

"I agree with you though, about Doyoung and Jaehyun liking each other. I'm not too close with either of them so I just have to go off of the interactions I saw," Taeyong responded. 

"I hope they get together soon; I want Doyoung to experience having a relationship. He's really smart and stuff but from what I can tell he's always super stressed about schoolwork and needs a break," Ten responded. 

"Speaking of taking a break," Taeyong said, loading a final dish before standing next to Ten. "I'm exhausted. I think I might need a little make out break."

Ten smirked at him and pulled Taeyong closer. "Hmm, I think I might need one too."

~~~~~~~~~~

In the main dining hall, Jaehyun was standing up and brushing the scraps into piles while Doyoung was scooping the piles into the trash. 

"Hey, we're almost done!" Jaehyun said excitedly. Doyoung looked around to see a very clean looking floor. 

"We are!" He excitedly responded. 

"See what happens when we team up? Things turn out perfectly," Jaehyun said, looking forlornly over at Doyoung. Doyoung blushed and looked down at the floor, trying his hardest not to misconstrue Jaehyun's words. 

"Y-yeah. I guess," Doyoung responded sadly, shaking his head. Jaehyun looked away from him and finished cleaning the floor, disappointment filling his heart. Doyoung clearly didn't feel the same way he did. And to think; when they'd kissed there had been so many sparks. Even Mark and Sicheng had assured Jaehyun that Doyoung liked him. But Doyoung sure didn't act that way. 

Jaehyun sighed and leaned on his broom, finally finishing sweeping. Doyoung picked up the last of the trash on the floor and tossed it. 

"What now? Should we see if anyone else needs help?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Hm, Johnny and Taeil are almost done. Yuta and Mark are just lying around. And to be honest, I don't really want to walk into that kitchen. Who knows what we might can Taeyong and Ten doing?"

"True. Very true," Jaehyun responded with a sigh. "I guess we can just relax then," he said, going to sit next to Mark. He saw Doyoung's face fall, but he couldn't help himself. He needed to talk to someone else. He needed to be distracted. 

"Guys, we still have so much left! If you're not busy come help us," Ten said. 

"And whose fault is that?" Mark mumbled, the others laughing as they went into the kitchen. 

"Yuta?" A voice suddenly called. Sicheng poked his head through the dining hall door and beckoned Yuta towards him. Yuta ran towards the door and smiled at his friend. 

"What's up?" Yuta responded when he reached the doorway. 

"Yuta...I'm really bored. Wanna sneak off from this and hang out?" He asked. Yuta's face bloomed into a smile. 

"Of course. Let's go," Yuta responded. He looked around the dining hall but everyone else was busy, so he darted out the door and followed Sicheng. 

They ran away before anyone could catch them, heading towards the bridge that lead away from camp. 

"What have you been doing all this time?" Yuta asked when they reached the spot, sitting down next to Sicheng just above the stream. 

"Just sitting here. Watching the water," Sicheng responded. Yuta pulled Sicheng onto his lap and Sicheng blushed hard. He was glad Yuta couldn't see his face because it was bright red. 

Yuta wrapped his arms around Sicheng's skinny, boyish waist and rested his head on Sicheng's shoulder. 

"Your skin is so soft," Yuta said happily. Sicheng just sighed; he was sick and tired of being lead on by Yuta. But he couldn't hurt Yuta's feelings, even if they were platonic, so he stayed on his lap and stuck it out, wondering when the torture would end.