Thirteen: Cold Lakes and Warm Beds

The Boys of Summer

After breakfast, Sehun approached the group of thirteen to fifteen year olds. 

"If you guys want, I've saved four kayaks at the lake for you guys. So if you want you can go kayaking," he said. 

"That sounds great!" Jaehyun excitedly responded. Most of the other boys cheered, but those that didn't enjoy physical activity (ie Doyoung and Taeil) groaned. 

"The lifeguards will already be waiting there for you guys so get ready," Sehun responded, leaving the campers on their own. 

After the boys changed into t-shirts and swim shorts, Sehun lead them across the bridge to the man-made lake just ten minutes away. A small beach lay before the dock, with kayaks and canoes hanging off of it. The group walked through the warm sand in the late morning, approaching the long wooden dock. 

"Are you boys here to get your kayaks?" One of the lifeguards asked. The boys nodded. "Get into groups of two to three and we'll get you on the water." Sehun down in a chair overlooking the lake. 

Ten and Taeyong immediately reached for each other, Yuta grabbed Sicheng, and Jaehyun tapped Doyoung on the shoulder. 

"Will you be my partner? My...uh....kayaking partner," Jaehyun said, brushing his hair back and chuckling awkwardly. 

"Are you sure? I'm not very good at this sort of thing," Doyoung responded. 

"But of course I want you," Jaehyun said, as if the idea of Doyoung not being his partner was absurd. Jaehyun looked away suddenly, not quite sure what his words meant any more. 

"A-alright then. If you're sure," Doyoung spoke quietly. They stood closely next to each other. 

"I guess we can be a trio," Johnny said, looking over at Taeil and Mark. They all nodded and everyone looked back at the lifeguards. One of them handed everyone life vests and the other gave them oars. 

"Over there is a really nice spot. You can sit and relax, and there's a big cliff you can jump off of into the water," Sehun explained. He also handed Doyoung a basket. "In here is some sandwiches for a picnic."

"You act all tough Sehun, but you're really just a sweetheart!" Ten cooed. Sehun grimaced. 

"No way," he mumbled in response. One of the lifeguards lead Taeyong and Ten down to a bright red kayak. He helped them get in and pushed them on their way. 

They helped each couple or trio get into the kayaks until it was Jaehyun and Doyoung's turn. Doyoung put the basket at the bottom of the kayak and looked around nervously. 

"So we just...oar?" Jaehyun asked the lifeguard. 

"Yup!" He responded, pushing them away from the dock. Jaehyun and Doyoung share a hesitant look, and he gives Doyoung one of the oars. 

"So we're heading right there," Jaehyun says softly, pointing to the area counselor Sehun had reccomended. They began to row in what they thought was the right direction. 

"Hey, we're actually getting somewhere!" Doyoung said excitedly. His arms weren't even sore yet from all the oaring. 

Doyoung and Jaehyun suddenly came upon Ten and Taeyong's kayak. The only problem was that it was capsized, and Taeyong and Ten were clinging onto it the water and trying to flip it over. 

"!" Ten loudly whined. Taeyong groaned and rested his head against the other side of the kayak. 

"Need some help?" Jaehyun asked the couple. 

"If you try to fix this you'll end up like us," Taeyong responded sadly. 

"How did that even happen? It's not that hard," Doyoung said. Ten and Taeyong blushed, looking away from Doyoung and Jaehyun. 

"Well...um...." Taeyong uncomfortably started. 

"We started making out and we leaned over too far," Ten admitted. 

"You guys !" Doyoung whined. Jaehyun just rolled his eyes and leaned over, Doyoung gripping the sides of the kayak to keep it steady. 

"Let me try and help. But no more making out until we're on dry land," Jaehyun said. 

"Fine," Taeyong and Ten groaned. The pushed their end down as Jaehyun flipped the other end up, getting the kayak back right side right. 

"Thank god; I was getting tired," Taeyong said, carefully climbing back into the kayak. 

"Jaehyun, I owe you my life," Ten said, pulling off his shirt and wringing it out. Taeyong eyed him up and down and Jaehyun smiled sweetly. 

"It's no problem. No more making out though, you two," Jaehyun responded. 

"But he just took his shirt off! How can I resist," Taeyong whined back. 

"You two can do it if you want, but I'm not helping you out next time," Jaehyun said. Taeyong groaned, and Jaehyun and Doyoung began to row away. 

They quickly arrived at Sehun's spot and looked around, noticing they were the first ones there. 

"That's not surprising," Doyoung mumbled as he put down the picnic basket. 

"Ooh! Brownies," Jaehyun said excitedly, his lips and reaching in for the desert. Doyoung forced himself to look away from Jaehyun's slicked lips and sat in the sand. Jaehyun smiled and handed him a brownie, sitting next to him. 

"Damn these are good!" Doyoung said. 

"They are," Jaehyun quietly mumbled back. 

"When do you think the others will get here?" Doyoung asked. 

"Probably not for a while, if Taeyong and Ten are any indication at how skilled these boys are with an oar. But I don't mind. It's nice to just be here with you," Jaehyun said, looking at Doyoung with his kind brown eyes and a soft smile. 

"Don't read into it don't read into it," Doyoung mumbled under his breath. 

"What?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Nothing!" Doyoung said a little too loudly, shaking his head. "I-I don't mind either," he said more quietly. 

Jaehyun started eating another brownie. 

"Wait, isn't that your second one?" Doyoung asked him. Jaehyun shrugged. 

"They can have some when they get here," Jaehyun responded. He sighed contentedly, biting his lip nervously. He finally decided to just go for it and rested his hand on Doyoung's arm, pulling him to rest his head on Jaehyun's shoulder. 

Doyoung immediately blushed, tensing up slightly out of nervousness. Other than the butterflies going crazy in his stomach he felt so safe and comforted here with Jaehyun. He didn't want to move even slightly in case Jaehyun took it the wrong way; thought Doyoung wanted to move or didn't like this contact with Jaehyun. He loved being so close to him though. 

"This is nice," Doyoung managed to mumble. 

"Yeah," Jaehyun responded, and Doyoung was disappointed he couldn't see Jaehyun huge grin. 

Suddenly, a loud splash filled the area as Taeyong and Ten got out of their boat and onto the sand. 

"Aw, you two are so cute!" Ten cheered. Doyoung lifted his head off of Jaehyun's shoulder and the two of them blushed. 

"What are you talking about?" Jaehyun mumbled, unable to stop himself from smiling. 

" yeah! Brownies," Taeyong said loudly, reaching into the picnic basket to grab one for himself and one for Ten. 

Soon after, Johnny, Taeil, and Mark's boat washed onto the shore. 

"That was a complete disaster; our boat capsized twice," Taeil grumbled. Taeyong and Ten cheered and high fived. 

"Yay! We aren't the worst," Ten said excitedly. 

"If I'd been in the kayak with Donghyuck I would've been fine," Mark mumbled aggressively. 

"That's disgusting!" Johnny said to Mark. 

"Wait, where are Yuta and Sicheng?" Taeyong asked. 

"Probably just making out. I'm sure they'll show up soon," Johnny responded. The hungry, tired boys reached into the basket and devoured all the food in a matter of minutes. 

"What now?" Mark asked. 

"Let's wait for Yuta and Sicheng," Doyoung responded. 

The boys waited and waited, but their thirteen and fourteen year old friends never showed up. 

"Okay, now I'm worried," Johnny said. 

"Me too," Taeyong added. "We should go look for them."

"Hm, what if we went back to the dock and got Sehun? The lifeguards have a motorboat; we could look for them much faster that way." Doyoung suggested. 

"You always know exactly what to do," Jaehyun said softly to Doyoung. 

"That's actually a much better idea; I'm sure most of us would disappear ourselves looking for Yuta and Sicheng," Mark responded. They all got back into their boats, concentrating much harder than on the way there to look for their missing friends. 

Doyoung and Jaehyun were the first ones to reach the dock, of course, running over to Sehun as quickly as possible. The silence and frantic rowing had made them extremely nervous for their friends. 

"Yuta and Sicheng are missing!" Jaehyun nervously said to their counselor. Sehun quickly blinked awake. 

"Wait, , seriously?" He asked anxiously. Doyoung and Jaehyun nodded with furrowed brows. He leapt onto the motorboat as the others started to arrive back at the dock, getting on land to safety and watching Sehun go off into the water. 

The group of boys waited impatiently for Sehun to come back, cheering loudly when the motorboat came back into sight with Yuta and Sicheng on it. As soon as the pair stepped off of the motorboat the others all pulled them into a tight hug. 

"We were all so worried," Mark admitted. 

"We just got lost," Yuta responded. 

"You two must have been really lost," Johnny said. 

"Yeah, we could barely see land," Yuta said with a chuckle. 

"I was pretty scared," Sicheng admitted, still clinging to Yuta's arm. Yuta ruffled his hair and didn't push him off, even though Sicheng was gripping Yuta's arm so tightly he was gonna leave marks. 

"Come on; let's go back to camp," Sehun said, leading the boys down the gravel road back to the safety of their cabins. 

~~~~~~~~~~

In Jaehyun, Yuta, Sicheng, and Mark's cabin that night, Jaehyun and Mark were deeply asleep. Yuta was still lying in bed awake though, his sleep disturbed by the sound of chattering teeth. 

"Sicheng?" Yuta whispered. 

"Y-yeah," Sicheng responded. 

"Are you alright?" Yuta whispered. Yuta heard the sound of Sicheng getting out of bed and tip-toeing over to Yuta's bed. 

"I'm just cold," Sicheng spoke quietly. 

"You're cold every night though," Yuta said. Yuta could see Sicheng nod even in the darkness of the cabin. 

"It's freezing at night," Sicheng explained. Yuta grunted and scooted over in his bed. 

"Stay in here with me. It's not a problem," Yuta said softly. Sicheng blushed hard, glad that Yuta couldn't see his face in the dark. 

Sicheng debated it in his head. He knew Yuta would never take advantage of him, especially because of the fact that Yuta didn't see him as anything more than a friend. Also, it would be pretty nice to share a bed with his crush, plus he'd be warm enough to finally get some sleep at night. But, he knew the others would tease them. 

A warm, good night's sleep is definitely worth his friend's teasing, plus Yuta would just ignored it anyways. So he crawled in bed next to Yuta and fell into the deepest sleep he'd had at camp so far.