Ten: Singing and Interrupting

The Boys of Summer

The next day, the nine boys decided to just relax in the cabins. Talking, making bracelets, and playing cards together helped pass the lazy day away (along with some heavy making out, at least on Ten and Taeyong's part). Other than going to the dining hall for breakfast and lunch, the campers just remained in their warm and cozy cabin. 

At dinner time, however, their counselor Sehun approached their usual table. 

"So, uh, tonight's the teen sing along. You guys should come," Sehun said. 

"What's that?" Sicheng asked. 

"Oh, we just sit around a camp fire and sing old hippie songs out of a big booklet. It's actually pretty lit," Sehun responded. 

"I like singing," Taeil said excitedly. 

"We'll go," Taeyong spoke. 

"Great, meet at the bridge when you're done," Sehun responded and left. The boys excitedly finished their dinner and headed to the meeting spot. When they arrived, the sixteen to eighteen year olds were already there along with Jongdae, their counselor. Sehun was waiting for them as well.

"Ready?" Sehun asked. They all looked at each other and nodded, following the others across the bridge and down a long path until they reached an already set up camp fire. Waiting there for them was Yixing, the five to sevens counselor, holding a guitar in his hands. 

"Hi!" Yixing said cheerfully. The overly tattooed and pierced Sehun took a seat directly next to Yixing, resting his head on his shoulder. 

"Huh. That seems like an unlikely combo," Doyoung whispered to Ten. 

"I bet they go wild in the sack," Ten whispered back with a smirk. Doyoung rolled his eyes. Typical Ten. 

Everyone took their seats around the campfire, Doyoung squeezed tightly between Jaehyun and Ten. Ten was holding hands with Taeyong, but that did little to ease him from the discomfort of sitting on uncomfortable logs in the freezing night air. At least the campfire was hot enough to warm them up. 

"What should we sing first?" Jongdae the counselor asked as Sehun walked around, handing out the thick song booklets. Inside were lyrics as well as guitar chords. 

"Brown Eyed Girl!" One of the sixteen to eighteens responded. 

"That's on page thirty seven," Yixing explained. Everyone turned their pages to thirty seven and Yixing played the opening chord. 

The sixteen to eighteens had no shame about singing loudly, and clearly they'd all been coming to camp for a while. Doyoung and his friends were pretty quiet, but by the end they were as loud as the others. 

"This isn't half bad," Ten whispered to Taeyong. Taeyong grinned back at him and looked into his eyes and Ten couldn't help by smile back. 

"Let's do Allstar by Smashmouth," Mark yelled out when the song was over, emphasizing his words with a dab. 

"Please don't turn into Donghyuck," Yuta whined loudly as the counselors rolled their eyes and told everyone the correct page. 

"No way! He would've picked a much more ual song," Mark responded. 

"Very true," Sicheng mumbled as Yixing reluctantly played the chords. Everyone, other than Mark, dejectedly sang the song. 

"Why does everyone hate that song so much?" Sicheng mumbled to Yuta. 

Yuta sighed. "It's kind of a long story. I'll explain it to you another time." 

"This little light of mine!" One of the older campers requested. The counselors breathed a sigh of relief and turned to the right page. 

"Oh, I actually know this one!" Sicheng said excitedly. 

"That's because it's really old," Johnny teased. 

"Hey! Just because he's out of the loop doesn't mean he deserves your bullying," Yuta responded defensively. Sicheng blushed at Yuta's actions, looking away and fumbling with his fingers. 

"It seems like you're always the one defending him," Johnny said, raising his eyebrows, implying what Sicheng had been thinking since he and Yuta's kiss. 

"Can't a father protect his child?" Yuta responded, wrapping his arm around Sicheng's shoulders. Sicheng physically winced at the wording. It still pained him to think that Yuta only saw him platonically. 

The song finally finished and Yuta released his hold on Sicheng's shoulders. If only the same would happen with his heart. 

"God damn you're beautiful!" Taeyong called out. 

"Really?" Mark asked Taeyong with an eye roll. Taeyong turned red and Ten giggled to himself. 

"You try to act cool but really you're just a huge romantic," Johnny added. 

"No way! I'm not romantic. I just really like that song," Taeyong aggressively responded, reaching over to playfully slap Mark's shoulder. Mark dodged out of the way just in time and Taeyong pouted. But Ten smiled happily and kissed Taeyong's cheek, and Taeyong was appeased. 

"It's on page fifteen," Sehun called out, and everyone flipped open the books to sing the song. 

As they began to sing, Doyoung's attention turned from himself to the boy sitting right beside him. Jaehyun was a really talented singer. His voice was beautiful to Doyoung, somehow sort of magical just like Jaehyun himself. It made Doyoung weak in the knees, just like the song said. 

"You have a beautiful voice," Jaehyun mumbled into Doyoung's ear, his breath tickling the small hairs on the back of Doyoung's neck. Doyoung blushed hard. He knew he had a decent voice, but he didn't necessarily practice it or think he was good enough to warrant a compliment. 

Suddenly, Jaehyun's hand was on the side of Doyoung's face. He tucked a small lock of Doyoung's pitch black hair behind his ear, eyes glued to Doyoung's pink face. Doyoung looked back at Jaehyun and their eyes locked, making the butterflies already building in Doyoung's stomach go absolutely wild. 

"Y-you too," was all Doyoung could manage to responded, quickly staring back down at the soft grass beneath him. He could feel Jaehyun's eyes lingering on him for a long while afterwards, but they finally moved to the fire when Jaehyun realized Doyoung could say no more. 

"Hey Jude!" Mark suggested. Everyone agreed, and the campers and counselors began to sing. 

During the song, a loud rustling could be heard from the surrounding bushes as well as children's whispers. The campers looked around worriedly, eyebrows furrowing, but they couldn't locate the source of the noise. 

When the song ended, everyone pausing to try and figure out what was going on. 

"Donghyuck, remind me again why you thought that crashing the teen sing a long was a good idea?" A boy whispered. He sounded maybe twelve years old. 

"So we could hear them sing about stuff, obviously," the very distinct voice of Donghyuck responded. 

"Ew!" The voice of a ten year old loudly whispered. 

"This was not worth it!" Another twelve year old voice whined. 

"," Donghyuck mumbled, the sound of someone tripping and falling on grass filling the small area. An extremely loud, dolphin like laugh responded. 

"Why aren't they singing any more?" Yet another voice whispered. 

The teenagers and counselors, finally pinpointing the source of the noise, turned their head to look at a bush directly behind Mark and Johnny. The face of Donghyuck poked out of the bushes with his signature sly grin. He suddenly frowned when he noticed everyone starting at him. 

"We've been caught," the others heard Donghyuck's voice say. 

"I hate you," one of the twelve year olds responded. That loud laugh came back, somehow even more funny this time. Donghyuck poked his head out again with a guilty smile. 

"Nice voice you've got there, Mark. Althought I do think it would sound better my name," Donghyuck said. 

Mark turned a bright shade of red and stared pointedly at the log beneath him. "Shut up Donghyuck," he mumbled in response. 

"Ooh, a y mumble...that'll have to do for now," Donghyuck responded. 

"It's late anyways. Let's head back and these children back to their cabin," Jongdae said, checking his watch. Sehun and Yixing offered to stay to put out the fire, but the others followed Jongdae back to camp. 

"It was fun while it lasted," Taeyong responded, helping Ten up and following Jongdae. 

"I'm not a child, I'm a preteen!" Donghyuck whined. 

"You act like a child though. Just more ual," the ten year old responded. 

"Exactly, Jisung. Teenagers are just ual children," Donghyuck explained. 

"That's really gross!" Yuta whined. Donghyuck stuck his tongue out at the others and went to go talk to Mark. Mark ignored Donghyuck but didn't make him leave, and for that Donghyuck was grateful. 

After counselor Jongdae dropped off the ten to twelve year olds at their cabins, he turned to the others. 

"The rest of you guys can do whatever you want. I'm sorry those little s interrupted us," Jongdae said. 

"You mean little ," Johnny clarified. "The rest of them are sweeties. Donghyuck's just crazy."

The thirteen to fifteens split ways from the sixteen to eighteens and headed back to their own cabin, tiredly crashing on their beds. 

"I'm freezing," Doyoung whined. 

"Get a boyfriend then and share his bed," Ten responded, cuddling up to Taeyong. 

"Jaehyun was definitely making eyes at you," Taeyong added. 

"Shut up," Doyoung whined back, and promptly fell asleep.