Sixteen: The Confession

The Boys of Summer

The night after the boys all played truth or dare, Jaehyun couldn't sleep. There was so much on his mind. 

After spending more than two weeks, all day every day with Doyoung, he couldn't help but fall for the soon to be high school sophomore. He was intelligent (probably the smartest kid of their whole group), adorable, and a damn good kisser. Plus, he and Jaehyun always got along so well. He knew that camp was more than halfway over, and if he wanted anything to happen with Doyoung he'd have to confess as soon as possible. 

But what if Doyoung didn't feel the same way? It always felt like Doyoung shied away from him; avoiding his glances and touches. Yes, he'd agreed to kiss him two days before, but it seemed like pure lust to him. If he told Doyoung how he felt about him, then Doyoung might get really uncomfortable around him and end their friendship, and Jaehyun couldn't imagine anything worse. 

The debate in Jaehyun's mind is what kept him up throughout the night. After barely getting any sleep, he was not his usual cheery self in the morning. In fact, he could barely find the motivation to go to the dining hall and get breakfast. 

But he didn't want anyone to think something was wrong with him, so he forced himself to get up and get dressed for breakfast. 

"Are you alright?" Sicheng asked, looking at the dark circles underneath Jaehyun's eyes as he emerged from his and Yuta's (now shared) bed. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," Jaehyun tiredly responded, rubbing his eyes awake. He sleepily followed the group out to meet the others, and finally understood why Taeyong, Ten, and Johnny barely ever had the will to get breakfast. 

Doyoung shyly waved hi to Jaehyun but Jaehyun's mind was racing too quickly to really respond. His heart panged at the sad expression Doyoung made when he got no response, but Jaehyun was too afraid to come over and comfort him. 

During breakfast, Jaehyun barely touched his food. Kyungsoo, the camp chef, kept looking over and glaring at him, but Jaehyun just wasn't hungry. He saw Taeyong and Ten repeatedly whispering and staring at him, but he just shrugged it off. The two of them were gossips and they did it all the time. 

After breakfast, when everyone else was headed to the cabins to get changed to go to the pool, Taeyong pulled Jaehyun off to the side. 

"Hey, can I talk to you? In private?" He asked softly. 

"Sure," Jaehyun responded, yawning loudly. He was too sleepy and too distracted to wonder why. 

Taeyong led him up to the ledge where no one would overhear or bother them (except maybe a sneaky Donghyuck, but he never came around unless Mark was there), leaning against a rock beneath the rising sun. 

"I stole this from one of the counselors. Thought you might need it," Taeyong said, handing Jaehyun a can of doubleshot espresso. 

"Thanks," Jaehyun responded. He normally did not drink coffee, but he needed it desperately now. After a few moments of silence, Taeyong spoke up. 

"Dude, me and Ten are worried. You're never this quiet. What's up?" Taeyong asked. 

"Why isn't Ten here?" Jaehyun responded. 

"Well, we thought it might be awkward to bombard you, so he just sent me because I'm close to you. I've never seen you tired before though. Are you alright?" Taeyong asked. 

Jaehyun sighed. "I didn't get much sleep last night."

"Well that I can tell," Taeyong spoke with a scoff. "What's really bothering you?"

Jaehyun sighed again. "Do you promise not to tell anyone? Not even Ten?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Of course not. Your secret is safe with me," Taeyong responded, holding out his hand for Jaehyun to shake. Jaehyun shook it and thought for a moment. 

"Well, um, I've, uh, kinda liked Doyoung since the beginning of camp, right? And it's been bugging me and I want to tell him, but I don't think he likes me back. What do I do?" Jaehyun asked. 

"You're an idiot," Taeyong responded, holding back a laugh. 

"What? God, I told you this big secret and you're so mean about it," Jaehyun whined. 

"No, dude, I'm saying you're an idiot because Doyoung totally likes you back and everyone knows it."

"Wait, what?" Jaehyun asked with surprise. 

"Of course! I mean, I know a hundred percent because Doyoung told Ten who told me, but it's pretty obvious to everyone. He always blushes and stammers around you, and there's obviously chemistry when you guys kiss," Taeyong explained. 

"But he always avoids being too close to me," Jaehyun mumbled. 

"That's just because he's shy about romantic stuff. Ten told me you're his first real crush, let alone boyfriend. He's insecure because he's not quite sure how to react," Taeyong spoke. 

"A-are you sure?" Jaehyun said. Taeyong nodded seriously. "What do I do now? Should I confess?" 

"Of course. I mean, camp is halfway over. Do you guys live close by?" Taeyong asked. 

"We don't even live in the same state," Jaehyun responded. 

"Now's your best chance. I'm sure you want as much time with him as possible, so the earlier you tell him the more time you'll be able to be with him," Taeyong said. Jaehyun's eyes suddenly widened, picking up his can of coffee and downing most of it. He leapt up and started running down the ledge, all the way back to the main part of camp and to the pool. 

"Wait!" Taeyong yelled in response, following him at a much slower pace. Jaehyun ran all the way to the pool, to where all of their friends were hanging out. 

"Doyoung!" Jaehyun shouted loudly. Everyone turned to stare at Jaehyun's caffeine crazed frame. Doyoung furrowed his eyebrows and looked up from his book. 

"What's up?" Doyoung asked quietly, confusion evident in his tone. 

"Come here," Jaehyun responded, beckoning towards himself. Doyoung slowly got out of the pool chair, folding down his page and walking towards Jaehyun. "Hurry!" Jaehyun added. Doyoung looked at his surroundings before walking quicker when Jaehyun grabbed his wrist. 

"Come on," Jaehyun said to him, leading him away from the pool. Doyoung watched the others as he left, and Johnny gave him one final confused shrug before Doyoung and Jaehyun disappeared. 

Jaehyun led Doyoung out into the big grassy field in the middle of camp. At the moment it was completely deserted, as everyone else was already busy doing activities or hanging out somewhere else. 

"I-I know this is really abrupt and confusing but like....okay, I haven't slept in a while and I've never had this much coffee before so maybe I'm not right in the head right now but I had to tell you. Doyoung, I like you," Jaehyun confessed, his nervous expression morphing into an anxious smile. "Like, like-like you. A lot. Really." 

Doyoung blinked back at him a few times, a dumbfounded expression on his face. The smile fell from Jaehyun's lips, silence growing on the empty grassy field. 

"Really?" Doyoung finally spoke. 

"Uh-huh," Jaehyun responded. 

"I," Doyoung started before laughing awkwardly himself. "I didn't think I was good enough for you."

"But Doyoung, you're so smart! And funny! And cute! I'm crazy about you," Jaehyun admitted. 

"Really?" Doyoung asked. 

"Yes, really!" Jaehyun responded. 

"Well.....um....I...uh....I like you too?" Doyoung admitted, unable to stop himself from smiling or his voice going up by ten pitches. 

"You do?" Jaehyun asked, grabbing Doyoung's arms tightly. 

"I do! I do I do I do," Doyoung responded. 

"So we...like each other?" Jaehyun asked. 

Doyoung laughed. "I guess so." The two boys looked away from each other shyly, wondering what to do next. 

"Does that...mean...I'm your boyfriend now?" Doyoung asked. 

"Yeah! I mean, only if you want," Jaehyun responded. 

"I do want! If you want," Doyoung responded. 

Jaehyun laughed. "So you're my boyfriend then! Wow!"

"And you're my boyfriend!" Doyoung excitedly responded. 

"Doyoung's my boyfriend!" Jaehyun shouted across camp. Doyoung and Jaehyun heard a distant cheer come from the direction of the pool. 

"Can I kiss you now?" Jaehyun shyly asked. 

"Oh Jaehyun, you can kiss me anytime," Doyoung responded with a big smile. Jaehyun cupped his cheek and kissed him, deeply but chastely, no need for hesitation any more because their feelings were now out in the open. They both smiled into the kiss and giggled, resting on each other's foreheads. 

"This is so weird," Doyoung mumbled. "I've only seen this kind of stuff in movies."

"I know," Jaehyun responded. "I've never liked someone the way I like you."

"Me either," Doyoung said. Doyoung reached up and kissed Jaehyun once again, cupping the soft milky skin of his cheek. Jaehyun held onto Doyoung's waist, tightly, as if he never wanted to let him go. 

"Should we go back to the others?" Jaehyun asked, staring deep into Doyoung's dark brown eyes. 

"I mean," Doyoung answered, "Not until you kiss me again." 

Doyoung smiled shyly, sort of embarrassed by his own flirting, until Jaehyun captured his lips once again. And this time, as Doyoung was glad to know, it wouldn't be their last.