Twenty Nine: The Last Full Day

The Boys of Summer

On the morning of the last full day of camp, the boys barely had enough energy to get out of bed. Each of them had a very different experience, but all of them could agree that this had been the very best summer of their lives and they couldn't bear to go home. 

Taeil was the only person in their cabin who had enough energy when Taeyong, Ten, Taeil, and Johnny heard a knock on their cabin door. Taeil opened up to see Jaehyun, Doyoung, Yuta, Sicheng, and Mark looking back at him with sad eyes. 

"Come in," Taeil mumbled. The five others shuffled inside, sitting down on the floor with heavy hearts. 

"Guys, come on! We can't waste our last day being sad," Johnny said, trying to cheer everyone up. 

"Well what else are we gonna do?" Sicheng responded, resting his head on Yuta's shoulder. Taeyong and Ten crawled out of their bed and sat down on the floor with the others, Ten nestled in between Taeyong's legs, their hands intertwined. Taeyong pressed a soft kiss to Ten's cheek but they avoided each other's eyes, not wanting to cry. 

Johnny and Taeil got out of bed, sitting down next to the others in a big circle. They all sighed, Doyoung laying down and resting his head in Jaehyun's lap. 

"Is anyone hungry?" Yuta asked. 

"Only sort of," Doyoung responded. Silence fell over the group quickly. 

"Something feels...missing," Jaehyun mumbled. The others nodded in a agreement, furrowing their eyebrows and looking around the cabin. 

Sicheng suddenly gasped. "Donghyuck!"

", we need him here too," Taeyong admitted. 

"It isn't ever quite the same without him," Taeil mumbled, and Mark blushed slightly just at the mention of his name. 

"I'll go get cereal for everyone and grab Donghyuck. Then we can stop our moping and try to have a good time," Johnny said, standing up. He was trying to be positive, but everyone could tell he was just as upset as the rest of them. 

A few minutes later, he returned with nine cups of cereal and a uncharacteristically mopey looking Donghyuck. 

"Hi," Ten said to both of them, sighing. 

"You guys are sad too?" Donghyuck whined, sitting down next to Mark. 

"Of course!" Jaehyun responded. 

"Why did you bring me here?" Donghyuck asked. Everyone looked around the room, trying to decide who would cave in. 

"We brought you here because we love you. Even though you're annoying as , you're part of our little family now. We're gonna miss you too," Johnny admitted with a grimace. 

"Really?" Donghyuck asked, seeming genuinely surprised by the group's feelings towards him. 

"Yes, now don't make us say it again," Taeyong mumbled, and Donghyuck immediately shut up. He couldn't wipe the smile off of his face though. 

"Fine, if we're going to mope around all day then let me just say this. Thank you guys for giving me an awesome summer. You guys aren't usually the people I hang out with at school, so it was really nice to have a change of pace. You're all really cool and I promise I'll come back next summer," Johnny said. 

"Aww!" Ten cried. 

"You're so sweet," Taeil mumbled, resting his hand on Johnny's arm before quickly pulling away with a big blush on his face. Johnny pretended not to notice. 

"Nah, I'm not being sweet, I'm telling the truth," Johnny responded. 

"Okay, well if we're going around and saying cheesy things then I'll go next. Thank you guys so much for giving me more confidence. I don't really have....friends back home, as lame as that sounds," Mark admitted with a sort of sad chuckle. "I'm kind of a loser. But you guys are really nice to me and are my friends even if I'm sort of lame. It makes me feel less dorky." 

"Mark, you're not a loser! You're really cool," Sicheng said. The others reached over and enveloped Mark in a big affectionate hug. 

"Don't worry about it, man. You're a cool guy for sure," Johnny said. Mark smiled and looked shyly at the floor. 

"Th-thanks guys," he shyly responded, chuckling and rubbing the nape of his neck. 

Taeyong sighed. "Like, what Mark was saying is kinda true for me too. Like I mean I do have friends at home, but they're not really friends. I'm not really close with any of them and all we do is party together. But now I have real friends that will last for the rest of my life," Taeyong said. Ten smiled up at him with a big grin and Taeyong pecked his lips. 

"I also have my soulmate," He mumbled quietly, for just Ten to hear. Ten giggled loudly and snuggled deeper into Taeyong's chest. 

"Me too," he quietly responded. 

"I know what you guys mean though," Doyoung added. "I have study buddies back home but no real friends. But now I have you guys!" Jaehyun held Doyoung tightly and smiled. 

"All of you guys are so sweet," Jaehyun responded with a sigh. "It makes me so sad that you guys don't have friends back home."

"Yeah, it's sad for me too," Mark answered with a chuckle. 

"My turn!" Yuta said loudly. "Well, Sichengie knows this already but I had a big break up and my whole friend group got kind of destroyed not long before I came here. I was having a really hard time before, but thanks to you guys and especially Sicheng, I feel a lot better about everything. I have real friends and a boyfriend that I can trust." Yuta kissed Sicheng on the forehead and despite his overwhelming sadness, Sicheng managed to smile. 

"Well, I wanna thank you guys for giving me so many knew experiences and teaching me so many things. Since I'm homeschooled and my parents are really overprotective, I know a lot of random facts but not really much about making friends and pop culture. I feel so much more like a normal teenager now. It feels really nice to hang out with people my own age and stuff and I will do anything to make sure I come again next year."

"Sichengie! Our baby!" Doyoung cried. He and the others all enveloped him in a big hug, rubbing his back. They broke apart and suddenly began to hear sniffles. 

"Ten! Are you crying?" Doyoung asked sadly. Ten sniffled and shook his head. 

"N-no," he mumbled, but everyone could see his eyes tearing up. Everyone looked at him and he pouted. "I-I'm just gonna miss you guys a lot," he admitted. 

Taeyong picked Ten up and held him close in his arms, kissing away his tears. "Don't cry baby don't cry," Taeyong mumbled in his ear, rubbing his waist. 

"You guys are just so cool and nice," Ten choked out. "Like, Doyoungie, thanks for keeping me sane. You're my best friend."

Doyoung gasped and shook his head. "Stop, you're gonna make me cry!" Doyoung whined back. He'd never been someone's best friend before. 

"And Taeyong, my darling TY, I love you so much," Ten spoke through sniffles. 

"Shh, shh, I love you too baby, don't cry," Taeyong mumbled in response, knowing that if Ten cried any more his own waterworks would come too. 

"You guys are so dramatic! It's funny," Donghyuck teased, but everyone could see he was crying too. Sicheng pouted and buried his head in Yuta's chest, away from the other's prying eyes. 

"Guys, come on. Who is coming next year?" Taeil asked. Everyone raised their hand. "See? So it's not like we're never seeing each other again. We can text and call and do group skype sessions whenever we want," Taeil spoke. 

"It won't be the same though," Yuta mumbled. 

"It'll make next year all the more special," Johnny responded quietly. They all nodded at each other, everyone except dramatic Ten's sniffles dying down. 

"Anyways, thank you guys a lot for giving me the best summer of my life. Usually I just sit around and do nothing at home all summer and as lame as this sounds, I can't wait to go back to school. But now I honestly never want this summer to end. I don't wanna go home and I really don't wanna go back to school. It that you all live so far away! Thank god for the internet," Taeil complained, pouting at the floor. 

"We'll be there with you in spirit," Johnny responded, and everyone came over to hug Taeil. But Taeil noticed Johnny's as the tightest and strongest, and he tried to push those nagging feelings down. 

"It really does that we all live in different states. We're all just so different but we click together so well. We all have sort of changed each other this summer and changed our attitudes and given each other so many new experiences, it's really just special. I don't know how many other people ever get this kind of experience. Honestly....you guys are like my family now. I love you all so, so much," Jaehyun spoke, and no one in that cabin could possibly disagree.